Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cop almost killed me, so I flipped him off...

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I suspect you have an inherent advantage.

I had a friend years ago. Female and genius smart, but she could turn on the dumb and ditsy, add a few tears and talk her way out of anything.

Nice trick,
    it don't work for me
    Nah, I don't play things that way. I'm also, of course, not in bimbo-uniform on a regular basis, so it just wouldn't make sense. I'm either dressed like I'm going to muck stalls, or I'm dressed for business, or I'm not driving I've never been pulled over for doing the wiper thing, though it never fails to get someone off my tail. I have been pulled over before, but that was when I fell for what was described earlier (officer behind, speeding up, tailgating, no lights... panic, speed, get pulled over) but the judge recognized the police officer who gave me the citation and dismissed it as "up to his old tricks again."

I wouldn't know how to act stupid.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Very clever! welcome to the forums
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.-- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tylerfk View Post

Anyway here's the story....

First, flipping him off was not smart. Believe it or not you could have gotten yourself shot/killed over it. Cop would be wrong, but that would prove cold comfort to those you left behind.

Cops are a real mixed bag. Most are OK - some are pretty cool, and some are uber-$#@!s, and those are the ones you have to watch out for.

A friend of mine... let us call him Kevin... was rolling south on Rt. 9 in Freehold NJ (where we both lived at the time) and a Township cop sitting in the median pulled out right in front of a car in the left lane. There was a three car pile up as a result. The cop stopped and then took off like a bat out of hell. A few weeks later there was a hearing at the courthouse and Kevin had been called in to give testimony. After everyone testified, the judge was way pissed and he read the riot act to the dozen or so cops present in the room, none of whom would fess up or rat out the guilty party. He told them straight up that when he found out who it was, he was going to put that officer in state prison for as long as the law would allow and that his career would come to a screeching end.

AFAIK, the culprit was never identified. So much for the notion of cops being somehow superior to the rest of us. To serve and protect... my ass.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Golding

I flip off cops all the time. I just do it with subtlety.

Most cops are pure $#@!s for the sake of being $#@!s.

I once got TWO Fix-It Tickets in 10 minutes!

Long story short, the second cop came back with the ticket and I just gave him the first one, "no thanks, I already have one". He still made me sign for the ticket. I made him take the other ticket and look at the time it was issued. Like 10 minutes earlier. Then I asked him if he thought it was at least a little ridiculus. He just told me that I needed to get that tail light fixed and walked off.

$#@!ing Prick! Like getting back on the road and continuing to drive, even if it was to the auto parts store to get a replacement bulb, is NOT enough time to get it fixed. So of course I got it fixed but there is absolutely no reason for this type of behavior!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Most cops are pure $#@!s for the sake of being $#@!s.

I once got TWO Fix-It Tickets in 10 minutes!

Long story short, the second cop came back with the ticket and I just gave him the first one, "no thanks, I already have one". He still made me sign for the ticket. I made him take the other ticket and look at the time it was issued. Like 10 minutes earlier. Then I asked him if he thought it was at least a little ridiculus. He just told me that I needed to get that tail light fixed and walked off.

$#@!ing Prick! Like getting back on the road and continuing to drive, even if it was to the auto parts store to get a replacement bulb, is NOT enough time to get it fixed. So of course I got it fixed but there is absolutely no reason for this type of behavior!
    That'll lern ya.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    First, flipping him off was not smart. Believe it or not you could have gotten yourself shot/killed over it. Cop would be wrong, but that would prove cold comfort to those you left behind.

Cops are a real mixed bag. Most are OK - some are pretty cool, and some are uber-$#@!s, and those are the ones you have to watch out for.

A friend of mine... let us call him Kevin... was rolling south on Rt. 9 in Freehold NJ (where we both lived at the time) and a Township cop sitting in the median pulled out right in front of a car in the left lane. There was a three car pile up as a result. The cop stopped and then took off like a bat out of hell. A few weeks later there was a hearing at the courthouse and Kevin had been called in to give testimony. After everyone testified, the judge was way pissed and he read the riot act to the dozen or so cops present in the room, none of whom would fess up or rat out the guilty party. He told them straight up that when he found out who it was, he was going to put that officer in state prison for as long as the law would allow and that his career would come to a screeching end.

AFAIK, the culprit was never identified. So much for the notion of cops being somehow superior to the rest of us. To serve and protect... my ass.
    Unfortunately police forces have "ethics" codes like the mafia. "Ratting out" a fellow officer is just about the worst offense. When my father started his stint in internal affairs for the Houston PD he lost MANY "friends". The one's that remained were known to be good men though, and he was able to see clearly where the lines were drawn in the department from then on.

Cop flipped me off so I almost killed him.
    "Molon Labe"

40 days for recording a talk with the DA? What an incredible waste of taxpayer money. And even more taxpayer money will go to defend the judge/DA/City when you sue. And taxpayer's (hopefully) will pay to reimburse you for your false imprisionment. I don't feel so bad about my tax money going to reimburse someone for a wrong, but I really resent having to pay tax money for the wrong.

This is an example of how crazy this country is. First of all, why is it illegal to record your talk? What is the DA trying to hide? Open access should be the rule, not illegal. 2nd, ok this is illegal, shouldn't this just be a ticketable offense? Is 40 days in jail really a just punishment for the crime? Personally, I think jail time for non-violent offenses is always wrong for a myriad of reasons. How can your city justify locking you up when undoubtedly they were letting violent offenders go free for lack of jail space? If they really thought they needed to thrown their authority around, er punish you, wouldn't house arrest be more approriate (and cheaper!)?

Good luck to you with your lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    He told them straight up {with a sly wink} that when he found out who it was, he was going to put that officer in state prison for as long as the law would allow and that his career would come to a screeching end.
    Judge must have been up for re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    40 days for recording a talk with the DA? What an incredible waste of taxpayer money. And even more taxpayer money will go to defend the judge/DA/City when you sue. And taxpayer's (hopefully) will pay to reimburse you for your false imprisionment. I don't feel so bad about my tax money going to reimburse someone for a wrong, but I really resent having to pay tax money for the wrong.

This is an example of how crazy this country is. First of all, why is it illegal to record your talk? What is the DA trying to hide? Open access should be the rule, not illegal. 2nd, ok this is illegal, shouldn't this just be a ticketable offense? Is 40 days in jail really a just punishment for the crime? Personally, I think jail time for non-violent offenses is always wrong for a myriad of reasons. How can your city justify locking you up when undoubtedly they were letting violent offenders go free for lack of jail space? If they really thought they needed to thrown their authority around, er punish you, wouldn't house arrest be more approriate (and cheaper!)?

Good luck to you with your lawsuit.
    1st thing is to check what your state laws are on recording. Some states it is unlawful for someone to record a conversation unless BOTH parties are aware that the conversation is being recorded. In other states the law only requires ONE OF THE TWO people to be aware that the conversation is being recorded.

I hereby find the court in contempt of the law and sentence the court to the will of the people.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 03-26-2010 at 04:23 AM.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

1st thing is to check what your state laws are on recording. Some states it is unlawful for someone to record a conversation unless BOTH parties are aware that the conversation is being recorded. In other states the law only requires ONE OF THE TWO people to be aware that the conversation is being recorded.
    According to the OP, only 1 person needs to be aware of the recording (hence his recording unawares of the 2 police officers.) However, there is apparently a law against recording in the court room, which he was aware of, he wasn't aware that the pre-trial discussion in a room outside of the courtoom was the same as being in the courtroom (that was the charge which got him 42 days in jail.)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    According to the OP, only 1 person needs to be aware of the recording (hence his recording unawares of the 2 police officers.) However, there is apparently a law against recording in the court room, which he was aware of, he wasn't aware that the pre-trial discussion in a room outside of the courtoom was the same as being in the courtroom (that was the charge which got him 42 days in jail.)
    I still haven't seen a "law" that says, ita illegal to record something in a courthouse, or even a courtroom for that matter.

I have found these, and by my interpretation I haven't broken this rule.

(e) A judge should prohibit broadcasting, televising, recording, or the taking of photographs in the courtroom and areas immediately adjacent thereto, at least during sessions of court or recesses between sessions. See Code of Judicial Conduct Canon 3A(9).

Canon 3A(9) Except as herein provided a judge should prohibit broadcasting, televising, recording, or taking photographs in the courtroom and areas immediately adjacent thereto at least during sessions of court or recesses between sessions.

http://www.lasc.org/rules/supreme/cjc.asp

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I suspect you have an inherent advantage.

I had a friend years ago. Female and genius smart, but she could turn on the dumb and ditsy, add a few tears and talk her way out of anything.

(
    You'll have to take my word that this doesn't work for us when the cop is a female. They get pissy if you even try.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I never can understand those who put themselves in positions they can't win. Like if it's 1923, and Al Capone and his boys make a sexual crude comment to your wife. You have to let it go because you can't win. Just like those fools who say they will fight anyone. There are times when you should just avoid fighting (like Mike Tyson, Shaq, or Chuck Liddell coming after you).

loveshiscountry

You can be charged with possession of a recording device? I don't see how they knew he recorded things earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by loveshiscountry View Post
    You can be charged with possession of a recording device? I don't see how they knew he recorded things earlier.
    From Tyler's earlier recounting of his ordeal:

....A lot of commotion was going on, but the shorthand is. They plugged the pen into a computer right there in the court room, and found only the video from earlier on the 10th floor.

I'm still trying to figure out how even a legitimate "contempt of court" charge (which this clearly wasn't) would warrant such an extreme sentence. Normally, contempt of court would just be a fine, or at worst, maybe a week in the slammer.

Tyler, if you're still reading this thread, do you by any chance live in a small town or rural area? This sounds as if it's got "good old boy network" written all over it...

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I never can understand those who put themselves in positions they can't win. Like if it's 1923, and Al Capone and his boys make a sexual crude comment to your wife. You have to let it go because you can't win.
    My purely hypothetical answer:

Because some people, when pushed too far by an unjust and corrupt system, prefer to fight rather than accept such abuse and dishonor. Such people will fight against long odds even when they know the fight is to the death, and will do so just to prove the point that not everyone knuckles under to two-bit tyrants.

Hypothetically, of course.

loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    From Tyler's earlier recounting of his ordeal:

I'm still trying to figure out how even a legitimate "contempt of court" charge (which this clearly wasn't) would warrant such an extreme sentence. Normally, contempt of court would just be a fine, or at worst, maybe a week in the slammer.

Tyler, if you're still reading this thread, do you by any chance live in a small town or rural area? This sounds as if it's got "good old boy network" written all over it...
    I was looking at it from a technicality point of view. As in "is it illegal to record" compared with "illegal to possess a recording device in court". Dunno if the courts make that distinction.

I'm in Baton Rouge the second largest city, and the capital of Louisiana...

I go to court again for the original ticket tomorrow (APR 1st), this time with no electronic devices and with a lawyer!

I go to court again for the original ticket tomorrow (APR 1st), this time with no electronic devices and with a lawyer!

Best of luck to you! Let us know what happens!

Be sure to check if the court reporter has a recording device, since you know that is illegal. I'd demand he get life in prison, and the judge too if she's in on the conspiracy.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Best of luck to you! Let us know what happens!
    Thanks, and I will post an update as long as they don't throw me in jail again...

Sorry for the delay in updating...

All the charges were dropped!!

My lawyer was able to talk with the DA and come to an agreement without going to trial...

My lawyer was able to talk with the DA and come to an agreement without going to trial...

Way Cool!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Are you going to be able to bring any sort of action against the court for your involuntary "vacation" at the county resort? I still find it incomprehensible that you would be forced to spend that much time behind bars for Contempt...

Are you "allowed" to discuss the details in public without fear of excommunication? What was the agreement? Drop the charges, or it will be just you, me, your balls, and this nine iron... Something to that effect?
    1776 > 1984

congrats meng
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Are you "allowed" to discuss the details in public without fear of excommunication? What was the agreement? Drop the charges, or it will be just you, me, your balls, and this nine iron... Something to that effect?
    I'm trying to sort things out... Take it one step at a time...

All I can say now is, the traffic tickets were dismissed thanks to my Lawyer, Ben Gibson, and the DA Office.

Congratulations man!

Now go after them for compensation, assuming you're telling us the whole story the judge can't just throw you in the clink for a month over a pen camera when you followed the rules to the best of your ability. At least, I don't think they can. The whole thing stinks.

Your time's got to be worth at least a couple hundred per hour, right?
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast