Thread: Study: Cell phone driving laws don't work!

Lightbulb Study: Cell phone driving laws don't work!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10444717-266.html

A new study suggests that laws banning talking on or sending text messages with cell phones while driving may not significantly decrease the risk of traffic accidents. Instead, experts suggest dealing with the problem of distracted drivers in general.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It was unenforceable unless a cop pulled up beside you at a light and looked inside. But they are rats looking for cheese and this "problem of distracted drivers in general" will include most everything i bet. Eating, talking, singing, laughing...
    Last edited by catdd; 01-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    "Molon Labe"

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by John of Des Moines View Post
    I thought you were banned?
    Try not to think, it might hurt your brain
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

You can not drive a cell phone.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

In other news. Grass is green and the sky is blue. Or so you think :O.

I'm against distractions while driving, but its just plain ignorant to think a governmental ban would work.

Perhaps the cops should increase the punishment for it? However I doubt that would work as well.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

They don't care about saving lives. They want the extra revenue.
    "My pride in my country is inversely proportional to Michelle Obama's pride in her country."
    - Me

Quote Originally Posted by TastyWheat View Post
    They don't care about saving lives. They want the extra revenue.
    This.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Something needs to be done, I'm tired of swerving incoming traffic, that ends up being a 16 year old steering with their wrists and 'texting' on their cellphone.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

There are already negligent driving laws on the books in all 50 states. Distracted driving laws are like making a special law for "murder with a chainsaw" (as one of our RP folks, Dominic Etli, running for State Senate says).

This is just another opportunity for the feds to dangle highway funds in front of states with and give the authorities another reason to stop drivers and search vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    There are already negligent driving laws on the books in all 50 states. Distracted driving laws are like making a special law for "murder with a chainsaw" (as one of our RP folks, Dominic Etli, running for State Senate says).

This is just another opportunity for the feds to dangle highway funds in front of states with and give the authorities another reason to stop drivers and search vehicles.
    i agree with the cellphone law because people being distracted with their cellphones poses a threat to other drivers, something stupid, like the seatbelt law, doesn't (Unless it's some kind of freak accident where a body flies into your car, but I doubt that would ever happen)
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I don't understand how a cop can tell a difference between texting, dialing a number, or searching for a number in your contacts list?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    i agree with the cellphone law because people being distracted with their cellphones poses a threat to other drivers, something stupid, like the seatbelt law, doesn't (Unless it's some kind of freak accident where a body flies into your car, but I doubt that would ever happen)
    It's a penal law. No real crime is committed until someone is hurt or property is damaged. At that point a crime is committed, the law to remedy such is already on the books.

One thing that NEEDS to ban is red light camras. Thow I do think that you should put more than 1 hidden camras in your car to try to record any one breaking into it, or any cop pulling you over.
    Last edited by Pepsi; 01-31-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    [[One thing that NEEDS to be banned is those red light cameras. ... add hidden cameras in your car to record any one breaking into it, or any cop pulling you over.]]
    Yes! Personal cameras everywhere (except at red lights). +100.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But I won't be "shocked" to soon see 'authorities' incorporate Tazers Stun Devices right into future cellphones. This way gubermint goons can zap you right on the ear (manually or automatically by a subsystem running on the telephone network that detects high speed road travel) if you are using your cellphone while driving!

Ouch... soon I expect to see many sheeple with multiple burn marks taggin' their ears. ("But I wasn't driving. I was just a passenger in the car when my ear felt like it exploded....")

This future totalitarian technical nightmare would fit in nicely with their existing ability to remotely acquire your GPS location and listen in (bug) you 24x7, even while you think your cellphone is turned off.

The reason I think it is a good ideal for put a hidden camra in your car is to catch those thives that breake into it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    OK, sure. Still a good idea, though it may be a bit expensive... But priceless if you catch someone!

What if they take your camera / recording system? (and car... Are you going to add LoJack?).
    Hide those camera(s) carefully and/or get out the cash and have it all upload
    directly to the Internet via a mobile, cell-based Internet modem.

Don't forget the hidden 2nd battery to power it all (even if the car's main power
    system is compromised).

+++

Thanks to my "Forest Gump right-place-right-time" luck, I happened to get to watch five
    local police give such a car a good going over right in their "arrest" garage! (I was
    attending their Citizen's Police Academy at the time).

There was a lot of poking prodding. Then one of the officers stated, "You know there are cameras
    in here!".
    That made them all pause for a few seconds because the reasons for the arrest and consented
    car search all seemed a little hinkey all of a sudden. (seemed to me anyhow.)

Further poking discovered the 2nd battery and transmitter box installed in a compartment
    hidden under the in the junk-filled trunk lining. This all only seemed to intensify their search
    for another electrically operated hidden compartment and prompted the drug sniffing dog
    to give it another go around. They even called in their "hidden compartment expert" to
    give it a thorough" mirror, stick and flashlight" exam. They stopped short of pulling off
    the inside door panels.

LoJack promo video (Note: tracking system is activated/run by police)
    YouTube - LoJack Tracking a Stolen Vehicle
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 02-01-2010 at 10:20 AM.