Thread: Free Market example with Wii Fit Balance Board

Free Market example with Wii Fit Balance Board

I just read this story on Gizmodo, Link below:

http://gizmodo.com/5450150/in-early-...85-medical-rig

In Early Tests, $99 Wii Balance Board Outperforms $17,885 Medical Rig

Another day, another story about some cheap, plastic Wii motion control accessory finding an application outside of gaming. In this case, it's the balance board, and not only is this device helping stroke victims recover, it's saving them money, too.

In fact, doctors at the University of Melbourne found that the balance board, normally used for pseudo Yoga or navigating Mii's down a virtual ski slope, was so sensitive it could very well replace traditional laboratory-grade "force platforms" doctors use to assess a patient's balance.

When doctors disassembled the board, they found the accelerometers and strain gauges to be of "excellent" quality. "I was shocked given the price: it was an extremely impressive strain gauge set-up," said lead researcher Ross Clark, in an interview with New Scientist.

Even better, Clark's team has already published a paper that verifies the Wii balance board is "clinically comparable" to the nearly $18,000 lab force platform. That's great news for many smaller physio clinics that would otherwise be unable to afford the traditional rig.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I bought my wife a Wii Fit for Christmas.

She's lost two pounds, and has trimmed her belly quite a bit.

Gotta stick with the program though. She does 30-45 min on the Wii everyday.

I always did love nintendo!
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Holy $#@! congress save us please!

REGULATE THOSE Wii Boards....before we do something CRAZZZZY with them

So does this mean we all get Wii Fit games under universal healthcare?

Great news for stroke sufferers! Heck, it sounds like I might even want to get one of these.

http://digg.com/health/Early_Tests_9...ms_Medical_Rig

What all does a medical device have to go through before the "free" market can use it? How expensive exactly are medical device regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by JXL78 View Post
    What all does a medical device have to go through before the "free" market can use it? How expensive exactly are medical device regulations?
    Lawyers, of course, get a big percentage of any award, but to cover what the lawyers take, the price tags of all consumer goods are a little higher. Life-saving products are especially penalized by the "lawyer tax." A manufacturer who produces pacemakers says lawsuits add thousands of dollars to the cost of every pacemaker. Lawsuits punish hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people.
    http://www.pointoflaw.com/columns/archives/002821.php

John Stossel examining the issue.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    I've never been a big believer in frivolous lawsuits actually being the problem. I'd assume most get thrown out. The ones that do award people money is probably because something serious happened. The doctor stupidly amputating the wrong limb. I'd probably sue too in that case.

EDIT:
    I wonder if it also has something to do with the Wii Balance Board being made in China...versus the Medical device is made in the US???

EDIT2:
    Also the supply of the wii board is much higher than the expensive medical device, right? That would give the price of the wii board a benefit also yes?
    Last edited by JXL78; 01-18-2010 at 12:19 PM.