Thread: Shaddeg Retires... is there a Liberty Republican in that district???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Shaddeg Retires... is there a Liberty Republican in that district???

UPDATE: Just checked the FEC and there is literally no other person running for the GOP nomination right now. This district looks very pro-liberty so if we can recruit a businessman/doctor/professional then follow it up with a Ron Paul endorsement we can lock the nomination up in a GOP leaning district. If someone is in AZ and knows a decent pro-liberty businessman/doctor/professional this seat is as close as we can get to a freebie.

It's the 3rd district which encompasses Maricopa County. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/0...-irreversible/

By Susan Davis

Rep. John Shadegg today became the 14th House Republican to announce he will not seek re-election this November.

Rep. John Shadegg pulls a copy of the House health care bill, pages taped end-to-end, through the crowd during a November rally on Capitol Hill against the legislation. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

It is not the first time Shadegg announced his retirement. In February 2008, the Arizona lawmaker said he would not seek re-election, before reversing course 10 days later after his GOP colleagues put up a spirited effort to get him to stay.

“This time, however, my decision is irreversible,” he said in a statement.

Shadegg is one of the few remaining members of the historic class of 1994 that swept Republicans in to power after decades in the minority. In his statement he said that after 16 years of congressional service “it is time for me to take my life in a new direction and to pursue my commitment to fight for freedom in a different venue.”

He did not lay out his plans but suggested he intends to stay in the political arena. “While the rules of the House do not allow me to pursue future employment while I am still in office, rest assured, I will continue to remain in the fight for freedom and defend American exceptionalism,” he said.

Shadegg’s Phoenix-area district has comfortably re-elected the conservative lawmaker since 1994. It is a largely Republican district and shouldn’t be a significant problem for the GOP to hold this seat.

Sen. John McCain (albeit it is his home state) defeated Barack Obama in the district by 14 points, 56%-42% in 2008.
    Last edited by Chieftain1776; 01-14-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    "We took it in the shorts with Bush-Cheney, the Iraq War, and by sacrificing fiscal responsibility to hold power.”
    ~John Boehner, GOP Minority Leader

"Take out all this movement stuff. There is no movement.... Look, I know this probably sounds arrogant to say but I redefined the Republican Party." ~President George W. Bush to speechwriter

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.