Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaddeg Retires... is there a Liberty Republican in that district???

Exclamation Shaddeg Retires... is there a Liberty Republican in that district???

UPDATE: Just checked the FEC and there is literally no other person running for the GOP nomination right now. This district looks very pro-liberty so if we can recruit a businessman/doctor/professional then follow it up with a Ron Paul endorsement we can lock the nomination up in a GOP leaning district. If someone is in AZ and knows a decent pro-liberty businessman/doctor/professional this seat is as close as we can get to a freebie.

It's the 3rd district which encompasses Maricopa County. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/0...-irreversible/

By Susan Davis

Rep. John Shadegg today became the 14th House Republican to announce he will not seek re-election this November.

Rep. John Shadegg pulls a copy of the House health care bill, pages taped end-to-end, through the crowd during a November rally on Capitol Hill against the legislation. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

It is not the first time Shadegg announced his retirement. In February 2008, the Arizona lawmaker said he would not seek re-election, before reversing course 10 days later after his GOP colleagues put up a spirited effort to get him to stay.

“This time, however, my decision is irreversible,” he said in a statement.

Shadegg is one of the few remaining members of the historic class of 1994 that swept Republicans in to power after decades in the minority. In his statement he said that after 16 years of congressional service “it is time for me to take my life in a new direction and to pursue my commitment to fight for freedom in a different venue.”

He did not lay out his plans but suggested he intends to stay in the political arena. “While the rules of the House do not allow me to pursue future employment while I am still in office, rest assured, I will continue to remain in the fight for freedom and defend American exceptionalism,” he said.

Shadegg’s Phoenix-area district has comfortably re-elected the conservative lawmaker since 1994. It is a largely Republican district and shouldn’t be a significant problem for the GOP to hold this seat.

Sen. John McCain (albeit it is his home state) defeated Barack Obama in the district by 14 points, 56%-42% in 2008.
    Last edited by Chieftain1776; 01-14-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    "We took it in the shorts with Bush-Cheney, the Iraq War, and by sacrificing fiscal responsibility to hold power.”
    ~John Boehner, GOP Minority Leader

"Take out all this movement stuff. There is no movement.... Look, I know this probably sounds arrogant to say but I redefined the Republican Party." ~President George W. Bush to speechwriter

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmmm..Arizona, eh?

Maybe Barry Goldwater Jr. should run!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Hmmm..Arizona, eh?

Maybe Barry Goldwater Jr. should run!

From your lips to God's ears
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Arizona has been a great place for liberty Republicans. In addition to the great Goldwaters, Shadegg wasn't that bad, Flake is awesome and there seems to be a "Western Republican" brand to it.

This is a great opportunity for a permanent seat for a liberty candidate.
    Last edited by Chieftain1776; 01-14-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    "We took it in the shorts with Bush-Cheney, the Iraq War, and by sacrificing fiscal responsibility to hold power.”

"Take out all this movement stuff. There is no movement.... Look, I know this probably sounds arrogant to say but I redefined the Republican Party." ~President George W. Bush to speechwriter

This might be the most libertarian district in the country.

Run a liberty candidate as a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    This might be the most libertarian district in the country.

Run a liberty candidate as a Republican.
    Oh I agree. I really think we don't have to have someone to be too politically savvy...they can win on their issues.

IF THERE'S SOMEONE IN THIS DISTRICT THAT HAS TRACK RECORD IN BUSINESS/MEDICINE etc. Recruit them. This is an excellent opportunity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tkubic46 View Post
    Goldwater!!!!
    He'd be great but I don't even know if he lives there anymore. Besides this could be the "Ron Paul" successor seat so we want someone young that can hold it for a while. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANYONE CREDIBLE IN MARICOPA???

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    contact the meetups! and the c4l!

Quote Originally Posted by tkubic46 View Post
    contact the meetups! and the c4l!
    I don't have links to the meetups. I'm looking at this and some are really inactive. I'm in another state but if we could find quickly find a pro-liberty businessman or doctor and then a quick Ron Paul endorsement fast then I think we might be able to lockup the GOP nomination which is almost guarantees a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain1776 View Post
    He'd be great but I don't even know if he lives there anymore. Besides this could be the "Ron Paul" successor seat so we want someone young that can hold it for a while. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANYONE CREDIBLE IN MARICOPA???
    Maybe someone could convince Ed Vallejo or Charles Goyette or Nick (I forget his last name now, he used to be a regular here and had a show on KFNX). Edit: Just remembered his name-Nick Coons.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 01-14-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Maybe someone could convince Ed Vallejo or Charles Goyette or Nick (I forget his last name now, he used to be a regular here and had a show on KFNX).
    Ed would be awesome, but don't you have to be a member of the GOP for a certain amount of time before running? He'd have to drop out of the LP then join the GOP.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Maybe someone could convince Ed Vallejo or Charles Goyette or Nick (I forget his last name now, he used to be a regular here and had a show on KFNX).
    Look I think anybody would be preferable to nobody. I'm sure they're on the table or they could at least be a resource for recruiting someone in the professional world.

I'm worried about talk show hosts only for the reason that there are quotes that could be used to smear them by the Democrat. If they are Truthers then it's not even an option politically.

Well I'm flat out of ideas.

I wish I knew more about Arizona and the west in general. The furthest inland I've ever been was southeastern Indiana, and even that was just for about an hour. But from some of the amazing proponents of liberty who have emerged from that part of the country, I think I'm really missing out.

I live about a mile outside that district, in district 2. If somebody can find a candidate I'll help get signatures. It said the minimum number of signatures necessary in 2008 was 708 to get on the primary ballot, so we'd need over double that to be on the safe side. And I know a whole lot of people in that district who I can persuade in voting. We'd need probably ~25,000 votes, looking at what Shadegg got last time the district was competitive. Don't know a liberty candidate that would have a chance though.

Maybe Chris Simcox will drop his Senate bid and run for this House seat instead. Just a thought.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Ed would be awesome, but don't you have to be a member of the GOP for a certain amount of time before running? He'd have to drop out of the LP then join the GOP.
    I'm not sure about the laws in that regard...just throwing some ideas out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
    I live about a mile outside that district, in district 2. If somebody can find a candidate I'll help get signatures. It said the minimum number of signatures necessary in 2008 was 708 to get on the primary ballot, so we'd need over double that to be on the safe side. And I know a whole lot of people in that district who I can persuade in voting. We'd need probably ~25,000 votes, looking at what Shadegg got last time the district was competitive. Don't know a liberty candidate that would have a chance though.
    Yeah that's the problem, I'm not even in the state. I just saw the Shadegg announcement and remember looking up the district. It really looks like a good pro-liberty business professional/doctor can win this seat with some funding. I think the grassroots in that district/area is probably really strong from what I've heard and seen online.

Anyone with career success and the ability to speak to voters can win this with some funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Bartlett View Post
    Maybe Chris Simcox will drop his Senate bid and run for this House seat instead. Just a thought.
    Amazing idea. He stands no chance against McCain at the moment, but he'd win the House seat handily.

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    Amazing idea. He stands no chance against McCain at the moment, but he'd win the House seat handily.
    I third this motion.

I posted this is another thread: http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/azdc/71561

Possible GOP candidates include former longtime Shadegg chief of staff Sean Noble, state Sen. Pamela Gorman, former Arizona State University
    football standout Andrew Walter, former House Speaker Jim Weiers, and state Rep. Sam Crump.
    I wonder where Andrew Walter stands on the issues.

I don't know if convincing Simcox to switch to this race is a winning idea and Goldwater Jr. is too old. But in the land of Goldwater and Flake, AZ's gotta have someone better than Shadegg's chief of staff.

I'd mention Richard Mack, but I'm just not sure how crazy the Republicans would be to nominate someone out of district (I don't think Mack lives in this district...)
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

Republicans aren't going to nominate guys who have been Libertarians all their lives.
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Antimony View Post
    Republicans aren't going to nominate guys who have been Libertarians all their lives.
    If we had a money bomb for Hancock it would certainly give him some momentum. They nominated Ron Paul and are about to nominate Rand Paul.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by South Park Fan View Post
    Does Ernie Hancock live in this district? If he does, he would make a good candidate if he switched parties.
    Beat me to it. He's the one that came up with the rEVOLution logo.

There is also that tent city sheriff. He's been on the board and has a sticky thread somewhere. He's the one that is pushing the country sheriff being the highest level of law enforcement in a county and able to boot the feds - if I'm not confusing him with someone.

the 14th House Republican to announce he will not seek re-election this November
    Anyone know who the other 13 are?

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Beat me to it. He's the one that came up with the rEVOLution logo.

There is also that tent city sheriff. He's been on the board and has a sticky thread somewhere. He's the one that is pushing the country sheriff being the highest level of law enforcement in a county and able to boot the feds - if I'm not confusing him with someone.

Anyone know who the other 13 are?

-t
    Arizona's 3rd congressional district: John Shadegg: Retiring to pursue other interests.[19]
    California's 19th congressional district: George Radanovich: Retiring to put family obligations first.[20]
    Delaware's At-large congressional district: Michael Castle: To run for U.S. Senate.[21]
    Florida's 12th congressional district: Adam Putnam: To run for Florida Commissioner of Agriculture.[22]
    Georgia's 9th congressional district: Nathan Deal: To run for Governor of Georgia.[23]
    Illinois's 10th congressional district: Mark Kirk: To run for U.S. Senate.[24]
    Kansas's 1st congressional district: Jerry Moran: To run for the U.S. Senate.[25]
    Kansas's 4th congressional district: Todd Tiahrt: To run for the U.S. Senate.[26]
    Michigan's 2nd congressional district: Peter Hoekstra: To run for Governor of Michigan.[27]
    Missouri's 7th congressional district: Roy Blunt: To run for the U.S. Senate.[28]
    Oklahoma's 5th congressional district: Mary Fallin: To run for Governor of Oklahoma.[29]
    South Carolina's 1st congressional district: Henry E. Brown, Jr.: Retiring to spend more time with his family. [30]
    South Carolina's 3rd congressional district: J. Gresham Barrett: To run for Governor of South Carolina.[31]
    Tennessee's 3rd congressional district: Zach Wamp: To run for Governor of Tennessee.[32]

Thanks SPF!

guess the next question should be are there any liberty candidates running for those seats that we should support.

-t

Yeah that's Sheriff Arpaio. He would win, instantly IMO. His approval rating among Republicans in this state is huge, due mostly to the fact that he's arresting illegal immigrants. I don't trust him at all though. He'd favor a police state.

If a libertarian-type candidate does run, they need to talk 95% about their views on the economy, because the 3rd district would eat that up. Other requirements would be pro-gun rights, pro-life, and Pat Buchanan-like on immigration. Foreign policy is not of huge importance here, so I think that issue should be avoided, as should the drug war and civil liberties, if one were running to win. Talking about getting rid of the cameras on the freeways would fly well with most everybody, including the Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by South Park Fan View Post
    If we had a money bomb for Hancock it would certainly give him some momentum. They nominated Ron Paul and are about to nominate Rand Paul.
    Huh? Ron Paul was a Libertarian ONCE... for ONE year. The rest of his life he has been a Republican. Rand Paul has always been a Republicans and as far as I know has never been registered as a Libertarian.

Yeah Hancock might be the best guy to represent the movement, but unfortunately he is a life long Libertarian and therefore will never get nominated by Republicans. That's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Antimony View Post
    Huh? Ron Paul was a Libertarian ONCE... for ONE year. The rest of his life he has been a Republican. Rand Paul has always been a Republicans and as far as I know has never been registered as a Libertarian.

Yeah Hancock might be the best guy to represent the movement, but unfortunately he is a life long Libertarian and therefore will never get nominated by Republicans. That's the truth.
    He was elected to Congress as a Republican, left to run on the Libertarian Party ticket, then came back to Congress as a Republican. He's been a Republican for over 20 years and a Libertarian for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast