Thread: Today I called the Secret Service to report fake silver dollars on Ebay

Today I called the Secret Service to report fake silver dollars on Ebay

Is it just me? For a while now i have been wondering how in god's name can chinese counterfeiters sell fake silver dollars on Ebay. Silver dollars are still legal tender so even though the ones they show on Ebay have a 'replica' or 'copy' stamped onto them they are PRINTING OUR MONEY! Its no different than letting them sell counterfeit paper money or fake Nike's. Just because there is a little stamp makes it OK? In any case, the agent i spoke to seemed genuinely surprised to hear what I had to say and took down an ebay auction number to see for himself.

What got me started is that now they are offering fake silver dollars made out of 90% silver, JUST LIKE THE REAL THING. And of course, the years and mints they are faking are the rare ones.... Anybody who knows the counterfeiters knows that they will gladly send you coins without the 'replica' stamp on them. In just the last month I had 2 fake CC (expensive) morgans shipped to me. After making a big stink I got my money back, BUT WHY IS EBAY GIVING THESE CROOKS A PLATFORM AT ALL?? Something stinks real bad here....

Want to see for yourself how bad this is? Go to ebay and use "morgan dollar copy" as a search term. you will get my guess) hundreds of results, depending on the time of day.

Per
    Deus
    Mos

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Haven't you heard, bro? Counterfeiting is legal now, as it long as it serves political interests in Washington.

A Ccounterfeit Coin Detector for silver would be a great boon; hopefully some enterprising businessman will offer such an item to us in the Silver-investing community.

(There already exists a Counterfeit Gold Coin Detector; these are great and are used by the big banks, etc.)
    I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

Try this one: don't buy for numismatics. That way, you need only be concerned about the value of the metal you are getting, rather than how pretty the coin is, which is subjective and never in your favor anyways.

There may be something that you clip on a coin of any metal, set the "metal" setting, say to Gold, and it passes a small electric current through it to test resistance, other features that are only inherent in that element.

Again, you could counterfeit that too, but maybe good protection against fraud trading in small amounts.
    John Q. Revere
    Lead Messenger
    Restore the Los Angeles County Republic
    "Restore LA, Restore the Country"
    http://www.RestoreLA.us
    Twitter: RestoreLA / JohnRevere

- If we all focus our energies on LA County, the largest county in the country,
    we will achieve a resounding victory that will spread nationwide.

Join the Fight to Restore LA Today!

So you're still getting 90% silver tho ya?

Personally, I'd rather get some 90% silver that wasn't legal tender so that it would be legal to melt down if needs be. I wouldn't want to overpay for it, though.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So you're still getting 90% silver tho ya?

Personally, I'd rather get some 90% silver that wasn't legal tender so that it would be legal to melt down if needs be. I wouldn't want to overpay for it, though.

First of all, they chinese SAY it's 90% silver. Do you trust what a counterfeiter tells you? Plus, the actual silver value of a real silver dollar is just around 14 bucks. The chinese sells theirs for $20. I say, force Ebay to stop this nonsense.

Per
    Deus
    Mos

Have you reported the seller to EBay? (And provided feedback?)

E-Bay can't police all of the content placed there. They would have to rely on buyers reporting sellers, and like you did, you can report them to other authorities if they are engaged in fraud.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya if a buyer has a 95-99% approval rating, you should checkout what that 1-5% of complaints are, cause they could be valid.

Part of ebay is about self-policing, though they will mediate in some cases.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I bought 30 .999 silver walking liberty dollar coins of various years a few years ago for $11 a piece.

The silver alone is worth almost twice what I paid for them, and I have no idea what the numismatic value is.

I think it worked out well.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Have you reported the seller to EBay? (And provided feedback?)

E-Bay can't police all of the content placed there. They would have to rely on buyers reporting sellers, and like you did, you can report them to other authorities if they are engaged in fraud.
    its not ONE seller or TWO sellers... just do a search on ebay for "morgan copy" pages upon pages from all kinds of sellers, all in china. and NGC and other grading companies over the years have tried to stop this be working with ebay, to no avail.

it is the job of the secret service to keep counterfeit currency under control.

Per
    Deus
    Mos

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    I bought 30 .999 silver walking liberty dollar coins of various years a few years ago for $11 a piece.

The silver alone is worth almost twice what I paid for them, and I have no idea what the numismatic value is.

I think it worked out well.
    walking liberty coins are not .999 silver, sorry to burst your bubble. they are 90% silver, just like franklin half dollar coins. the current melt value of a walker is about $7.00 (half of a silver dollar)

Per
    Deus
    Mos

Quote Originally Posted by the count View Post
    walking liberty coins are not .999 silver, sorry to burst your bubble. they are 90% silver, just like franklin half dollar coins. the current melt value of a walker is about $7.00 (half of a silver dollar)
    Some mints have produces rounds with the walking liberty design.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    Some mints have produces rounds with the walking liberty design.
    oh, you must mean like the silver one ounce buffalo coins that apmex sells.... in that case, congrats! you are ahead of the game.

Per
    Deus
    Mos

oh, you must mean like the silver one ounce buffalo coins that apmex sells.... in that case, congrats! you are ahead of the game.
    Well, I didn't buy them, I just know they are made. I've never bought silver off of Ebay, since I came within a hair's breadth of falling for the Chinese counterfeit coin scam myself. Now I only buy from big names, like APMEX.

Is it just me? For a while now i have been wondering how in god's name can chinese counterfeiters sell fake silver dollars on Ebay. Silver dollars are still legal tender so even though the ones they show on Ebay have a 'replica' or 'copy' stamped onto them they are PRINTING OUR MONEY! Its no different than letting them sell counterfeit paper money or fake Nike's. Just because there is a little stamp makes it OK? In any case, the agent i spoke to seemed genuinely surprised to hear what I had to say and took down an ebay auction number to see for himself.

What got me started is that now they are offering fake silver dollars made out of 90% silver, JUST LIKE THE REAL THING. And of course, the years and mints they are faking are the rare ones.... Anybody who knows the counterfeiters knows that they will gladly send you coins without the 'replica' stamp on them. In just the last month I had 2 fake CC (expensive) morgans shipped to me. After making a big stink I got my money back, BUT WHY IS EBAY GIVING THESE CROOKS A PLATFORM AT ALL?? Something stinks real bad here....

Want to see for yourself how bad this is? Go to ebay and use "morgan dollar copy" as a search term. you will get my guess) hundreds of results, depending on the time of day.
    Did you get the coins at an incredibly low price? That can be a clue. I saw a Morgan silver dollar in one of the registers at work and quickly asked if I could trade a paper dollar for it. Ok. Got home and looked it up to see what it would be worth and found it was a fake. Why do people sell fakes on eBay? Because people will buy them and they make money off them. If they are fake are they really 90% silver? If they are silver how can you be certain they are fakes? In the case of the one I had, the coin has a different sound if you drop it and the date is uneven (the last number is a little smaller and is crooked relative to the rest).

With eBay purchases it is buyer beware. Best to buy from dealers.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Did you get the coins at an incredibly low price? That can be a clue. I saw a Morgan silver dollar in one of the registers at work and quickly asked if I could trade a paper dollar for it. Ok. Got home and looked it up to see what it would be worth and found it was a fake. Why do people sell fakes on eBay? Because people will buy them and they make money off them. If they are fake are they really 90% silver? If they are silver how can you be certain they are fakes? In the case of the one I had, the coin has a different sound if you drop it and the date is uneven (the last number is a little smaller and is crooked relative to the rest).

With eBay purchases it is buyer beware. Best to buy from dealers.
    OK, let me explain it again. Chinese sellers offer copies of silver dollars. 2-3 dollars incl. ship for white copper fakes. if you ask, they ship without the "copy' stamp on them. crooked american seller lists coin on ebay as real (usually the more desirable dates). with many coins no way to tell from the picture alone. so these fakes achieve almost the same prices as real one.... fast forward to today. chinese seller offers copy, but MADE OUT OF 90% SILVER, charging 20 dollars for this (the dont give away silver for free, assuming it really is silver). coin's date makes the coin worth 500 dollars! ebay and the cops' job is to PROTECT THE PUBLIC. i dont agree that one has to be soooo smart and savvy to steer clear of any and all pitfalls. its the crook who is at fault, not the victim.

if chinese guys sold exact copies of gucci handbags, just with a little notice somewhere 'copy', there would be a huge stink. copying our money seems to not bother anybody.....!

and just in case you think the chinese are ok, the have THOUSANDS of sleeper agents in our county already. if push ever comes to shove we are screwed.
    Last edited by the count; 01-13-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Per
    Deus
    Mos

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing.

To give one example: The one I'm looking at right now is a "SILVER AMERICAN EAGLE" On the face it says "LIBERTY" "In God We Trust" and "2002" with the walking liberty and a rayed sun in the lower left.

On the other side is the shield bearing Eagle with "E Pluribus Unum" on a banner and the arrows and leaves in his claws, and 13 stars centered above. The top reads "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", and the bottom says "1 OZ FINE SILVER - ONE DOLLAR".

It comes with a certificate from the Littleton Coin Company that says 99.93% silver, 0.07% copper. 31.101 grams, 40.6mm reeded edge. Uncirculated Silver Bullion.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing.

To give one example: The one I'm looking at right now is a "SILVER AMERICAN EAGLE" On the face it says "LIBERTY" "In God We Trust" and "2002" with the walking liberty and a rayed sun in the lower left.

On the other side is the shield bearing Eagle with "E Pluribus Unum" on a banner and the arrows and leaves in his claws, and 13 stars centered above. The top reads "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", and the bottom says "1 OZ FINE SILVER - ONE DOLLAR".

It comes with a certificate from the Littleton Coin Company that says 99.93% silver, 0.07% copper. 31.101 grams, 40.6mm reeded edge. Uncirculated Silver Bullion.
    You are talking Silver Eagles...... Yes they are one full once of pure silver. The US mint produces those...

Per
    Deus
    Mos

You are talking Silver Eagles...... Yes they are one full once of pure silver. The US mint produces those...
    Ok, for some reason I thought they were called Walking Liberties, not Silver Eagles.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

its not ONE seller or TWO sellers... just do a search on ebay for "morgan copy" pages upon pages from all kinds of sellers, all in china. and NGC and other grading companies over the years have tried to stop this be working with ebay, to no avail.

it is the job of the secret service to keep counterfeit currency under control.
    Since when do you expect a Federal agency to do it's job?

Really - the proper response to this is to let your consumer friends know the scam, report to eBay, and don't buy from those guys anymore.

As someone else said - don't buy coins (numismatics), just buy slugs. The Federal Stamp ensuring the value of a coin is probably less reliable than the Counterfeiter's claim of a 90% silver content anyway.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul