Thread: Gold/Silver price spike, 1-10-10

Gold/Silver price spike, 1-10-10

Anybody see the opening spike in the price of gold and silver?

www.kitco.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I should've bought on that last dip

WTV over? What did I miss in the news that led to this spike?
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    WTV over? What did I miss in the news that led to this spike?
    Chinese trade war, I believe.

Anyone see the prices coming back down or is this going to be in spike mode for a while?

Someone posted here a couple weeks ago that if silver broke 18.40 then it would be off to the races. Looks like maybe they knew what they were talking about.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    Chinese trade war, I believe.

Anyone see the prices coming back down or is this going to be in spike mode for a while?
    Given that China has all this gold now, I would have expected a Chinese trade war to dip the gold in favor of the dollar, unless, most monied interests expect China to win the trade war? Wonder what the Renminbi is doing...

I'm not finding good data on the Yuan intraday exchange rates...
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Gunny:

Jeff Nielson wrote a great article explaining the dynamics. There is a thread on it here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=226046

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Anybody see the opening spike in the price of gold and silver?

www.kitco.com
    Noticed that, too, but have no explanation

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's still spiking pretty good, silver a bit moreso than gold. Silver almost to $19/oz.

LOL I just looked at Kitco and the top story is for "wow" (World of Warcraft) gold - hahahaha

www.kitco.com
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

LOL...that McCain/RP avatar never gets old.

Regarding Gold...aside from the China tariff war stuff...every major technical indicator suggests it's ready for take off again. It's a buy.
    Last edited by DFF; 01-10-2010 at 06:56 PM.

The AIG-NY Fed disclosure is probably not doing any favors for the USD today either.

Where oh where art thou, YumYum?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book