Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stefan Molyneux

Stefan Molyneux

What are your thoughts on this man? Ever since I've seen his video "The Matrix" I've been fascinated by his podcasts. What say you?

YouTube - True News 13: Statism is Dead - Part 3 - The Matrix

His website full of content is: http://freedomainradio.com/
    Last edited by Met Income; 12-31-2009 at 11:45 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't agree with him on some things, but hes clearly an asset to the libertarian movement.

First time I listened I found it weird that a guy with a British accent was expressing emotions. lol

I highly recommend the podcast on "procrastination", he has a lot of good podcasts but I'd list that one as one of my favs/tops. Blew my mind the first time I heard it, rung so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-Austin View Post
    I highly recommend the podcast on "procrastination", he has a lot of good podcasts but I'd list that one as one of my favs/tops. Blew my mind the first time I heard it, rung so true.
    Wow. Completely awesome! He's very insightful on this issue and I think his observations could help a lot of people, including many in my own family. Thanks for the recommendation!

YouTube - Procrastination...

Quote Originally Posted by Met Income View Post
    What are your thoughts on this man? Ever since I've seen his video "The Matrix" I've been fascinated by his podcasts. What say you?

YouTube - True News 13: Statism is Dead - Part 3 - The Matrix
    I have listened to hundreds of his podcasts and highly recommend people to check him out. It's really difficult to argue with him on any topic, he's typically thought through every topic extensively, and has an amazing knowledge of TRUE history.

I recommend reading his book Real Time Relationships, free on freedomainradio.com

I'm a fan of the video in the OP. Another one of his YT's talking about 'The graveyard of empires' is a good one concerning war in Afghanistan. He has many great points.

I listen to his stuff from time to time. He comes off awful arrogant sometimes, but I suppose content > presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Wow. Completely awesome! He's very insightful on this issue and I think his observations could help a lot of people, including many in my own family. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Very good video.

But sometimes people procrastinate because they're just plain lazy slobs.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post

YouTube - Procrastination...
    I'll watch it later.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think he's a manipulator.

Anarchy Is Not Chaos.

Go Stefan Molyneux!

I am ready for a world without government. I don't need all their baggage. Give me the free market!

Laissez-faire Capitalism ROCKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
    I think he's a manipulator.
    ...lol
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

He's an arrogant prick. I watched a video or two where he bashed Ron Paul, spouting lies and half truths about him. He's also a militant atheist and appears to hate religious people. Even if I ignore that, I can't make it through any of his videos because he's long winded and takes forever to get to the point. Btw, this is coming from an an-cap, Im not a minarchist.

Quote Originally Posted by BW2112 View Post
    He's an arrogant prick. I watched a video or two where he bashed Ron Paul, spouting lies and half truths about him. He's also a militant atheist and appears to hate religious people. Even if I ignore that, I can't make it through any of his videos because he's long winded and takes forever to get to the point. Btw, this is coming from an an-cap, Im not a minarchist.
    What is a militant atheist?

BW2112, he had some disagreements with the Ron Paul campaign, e.g. open-borders/immigration, but overall he had a positive attitude I think (from the little I listened to). Also, your choice of the word "militant" isn't so great, he expresses his strong opinions on atheism and religion but if you're not interested or not convinced then just skip that, it's not like he and his army are going to force all religious people to convert to atheism when he becomes the supreme ruler of the earth...

His latest interview, with Dean Baker on the conservative nanny-state, is interesting:
    YouTube - 'The Conservative Nanny State' - Freedomain Radio Interviews Economist Dr. Dean Baker

like him lots.... gotta' give him at least 98 out of 100 points!

only two negatives I see are: long winded and sliding down the slippery slope towards big headed (arrogant).

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like him. Just as with Schiff, I can't understand the call of arrogance. Can't quite see it. Watch Jersey Shore...those people are arrogant. Molyneux is intelligent and confident in it. As another poster noted, he does take forever to make points. Many times, I start skipping through the parts that don't seem all too important. One of very few channels I'm subscribed to. One of the others being Schiff. Maybe I'm the arrogant one.
    Washington doesn't change Rand Paul. Rand Paul changes Washington.

He is one of my favorites. His style is an acquired taste, but he swings a truth bat like Babe Ruth on steroids. I look forward to his videos like a new episode of Battlestar Galactica.

YouTube - The Money That Is Sold Abroad Is You!

Quote Originally Posted by BW2112 View Post
    He didn't bash Ron Paul. He questioned the efficacy of electoral politics in bringing about social change and gave his reasoning for why he thinks it can't. You may agree or disagree, but calling him an arrogant prick does not take away from his arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Met Income View Post
    What is a militant atheist?
    Someone who presents arguments that theists can't refute.

Quote Originally Posted by inibo View Post
    Someone who presents arguments that theists can't refute.
    I think he meant someone who not only insists that there is no God, but someone also argues that religion and the belief in God is detrimental in various ways.

I listened to it, and I am not sure if he is advocating for a godless, stateless 7 billion humans on the planet to exist in an egalitarian society (because if those who work in factories or fields are slaves, well, then....well I don't know), or if he indirectly is advocating to reduce the population to something like 500M people where there would be little competition for scarce resources that, with the lack of labor, would need manual labor to extract.

Cool dreamer, but nothing I would send to friends.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-Austin View Post
    I think he meant someone who not only insists that there is no God, but someone also argues that religion and the belief in God is detrimental in various ways.
    Your answer is probably more accurate. I was just having a little fun.

If I understand Molyneux's position it is that teaching a child they will go to hell to suffer for all eternity unless the believe in an all powerful king that no one can see is tantamount to child abuse. Considering the effect such teaching had on me and how long it has taken me to recover from it I would consider that a valid view point.

I like Stefan Molyneux. His messageboard is kind of boring but his youtube videos are the best. He didn'tlike the Ron Paul movement since he doesn't believe we (Ancaps) should get involved with politics. Thats the only thing I disagree with him on.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    I listened to it, and I am not sure if he is advocating for a godless, stateless 7 billion humans on the planet to exist in an egalitarian society (because if those who work in factories or fields are slaves, well, then....well I don't know), or if he indirectly is advocating to reduce the population to something like 500M people where there would be little competition for scarce resources that, with the lack of labor, would need manual labor to extract.

Cool dreamer, but nothing I would send to friends.
    Wow. I don't know where you got all that. He is simply advocating for people to think for themselves and stop being lead around like cattle by people who do not care one whit about them. True News 13 is strong meat, that's why I posted the shorter one. It conveys the same message without doing quite as much violence to a lot of strongly held fairy tales.

The Promise and Failure of UPB

The guy is a very weak thinker.

In one of his videos he states that in an ideal an-cap world DRO's will post $10,000 rewards for reporting your neighbors unlicensed weapons, and that your will required to have an aircraft like blackbox in your car reporting on your movements. These are the results of following his principals to their logical conclusions.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    The Promise and Failure of UPB

The guy is a very weak thinker.

In one of his videos he states that in an ideal an-cap world DRO's will post $10,000 rewards for reporting your neighbors unlicensed weapons, and that your will required to have an aircraft like blackbox in your car reporting on your movements. These are the results of following his principals to their logical conclusions.
    who the hell licenses weapons in an an-cap world???

Thats how the Dispute Resolution Organisations keep you safe.
    In New Zealand:
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    Prostitution is legal

Idiom. You seem to be saying that you have to take Molyneux as whole. That is either accept or reject everything he says. I do neither. I'm not looking for an intellectual or ethical guru. I'm in my fifties and have had more than my share of messiahs and blind revelations of universal truth in my life. I'm a grown-up now. I have enough humility to recognize that no has or has ever had a lock on truth. I simply like Molyneux's analysis of the state and his arguments for anarchy. Perhaps his underlying premises are flawed, I don't know. I have not really dug into UPB because I'm not looking for ethical system. I already have one. It's in my signature.

So I couldn't care less about Molyneux's failures as a human being or whether or not he is an evil wicked cult leader, when it comes to understanding politics and social organization he is right on. To be honest, I don't think he is very original. He's not saying anything that Rothbard or Nock haven't already said. What I like is the way he presents his arguments. It is very compelling and he always cuts to core assumption of legitimized violence that rests at the center of every statist argument. He makes it easy to understand because he puts it in very stark terms. His pursuit of a rational basis for ethics may be total fail, but that changes nothing about the reality that the state is gun pointed at you an me.

The OP asked about him as a person.

In terms of his version of the NAP it is merely a new monopoly on violence cloaked in a rubbery set of definitions.

They way he presents his arguments is all usually with poor analogies and logical fallacies. Use critical thinking when listening to him, don't get sucked in by a pretty powerpoint and a smirk.

His alternative to a centralized restricted accountable government is unaccountable decentralized unrestricted government.

The UPB is only interesting because it outlines in stark terms his inability to grasp the implications of the ideas he talks about in his videos.
    Last edited by idiom; 05-29-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast