projects – with longer-term, more capital-intensive projects
    becoming more attractive relative to shorter-term, less capitalintensive
    ones.

Austrian theory played out to perfection during the most
    recent boom-bust cycle.
    By July 2003, the Federal Reserve had
    pushed the federal funds interest rate down to

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/blog...ary%202010.pdf

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The author is a member of Cato and is on the editorial board for the Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics, so he's not exactly in the mainstream

Quote Originally Posted by jtm845 View Post
    The author is a member of Cato and is on the editorial board for the Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics, so he's not exactly in the mainstream
    True--but the link is from the mainstream Real Clear Politics and Cato is fairly mainstream now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyw24 View Post
    True--but the link is from the mainstream Real Clear Politics and Cato is fairly mainstream now.
    Why do you think that is? Why do you think Milton Friedman was mainsteam and Mises and Rothbard weren't? Anyone who dares challenge the State is immediately barred from the MSM, because it hurts the MSM bottom line via their obvious collusion with the State.

Many in the libertarian community say we should end the intra-fighting, but I contend that we should call out all the beltway-libertarians whenever they depart from libertarian principles like CATO has. Since many of us are Ron Paulers, don't you remember how they trashed Ron Paul?
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    I contend that we should call out all the beltway-libertarians whenever they depart from libertarian principles like CATO has. Since many of us are Ron Paulers, don't you remember how they trashed Ron Paul?
    Agreed. I don't care much for Cato

plagiarism

This fellow forgot to thank Dr. Thornton of Mises for writing it for him... over a year ago http://mises.org/story/3038

If this was a book report, it might pass for plagiarism.

An artificially low interest rate alters the evaluation of
    projects – with longer-term, more capital-intensive projects
    becoming more attractive relative to shorter-term, less capitalintensive
    ones.

Austrian theory played out to perfection during the most
    recent boom-bust cycle.
    By July 2003, the Federal Reserve had
    pushed the federal funds interest rate down to

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/blog...ary%202010.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Towne View Post
    This fellow forgot to thank Dr. Thornton of Mises for writing it for him... over a year ago http://mises.org/story/3038

If this was a book report, it might pass for plagiarism.
    Good catch Jake. Merry Christmas.

Agreed. I don't care much for Cato
    I don't care much for your attitude.

Cato is a libertarian organization that has become mainstream, and manages to get libertarian ideas out into the public. They may have to dance with the beast, but they have probably done more to spread libertarian ideas than any other organization in the country.

The Cato Handbook for Policymakers would be a good blueprint for libertarian candidates. When the liberals diminish free markets and limited government, and claim there are no credible ideas of how to downsize government, direct them to the Cato Handbook.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Patriot View Post

Cato is a libertarian organization that has become mainstream, and manages to get libertarian ideas out into the public. They may have to dance with the beast, but they have probably done more to spread libertarian ideas than any other organization in the country.

The Cato Handbook for Policymakers would be a good blueprint for libertarian candidates. When the liberals diminish free markets and limited government, and claim there are no credible ideas of how to downsize government, direct them to the Cato Handbook.
    How many hits a day does CATO get? LvMI gets 1 mil + a month. Secondly, do you remember CATO trashing Ron Paul? I certainly do. CATO hasn't been a reliable libertarian organization for a long-time now.

Oh, here is your so-called libertarian org at work.

http://www.cato.org/special/friedman/about.html

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Oh yeah, they only get ideas out to the public if you pay them. LvMI actually lives its ideology. Why do you think one is growing significantly, and the other is languishing?
    Last edited by Austrian Econ Disciple; 12-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com

Quote Originally Posted by MN Patriot View Post
    Merry Christmas

Cato is a huge organization, some of them are good and others are bad. They have plenty of good people their and they are a much bigger organization than Mises. I visit the Mises website more because I think the website is better, but I run into Cato far more often in the real world. Most of the George Mason University faculty is part of Cato and they're the only school in the country to offer a Ph.D in Austrian Economics. And take the guy in this thread for example: he's a member of Cato and and editor of Mises' journal. They're different organizations but they've both done great things for getting the message out, regardless of who supported Ron Paul (and many people at Cato did).

Cato is a huge organization, some of them are good and others are bad. They have plenty of good people their and they are a much bigger organization than Mises. I visit the Mises website more because I think the website is better, but I run into Cato far more often in the real world. Most of the George Mason University faculty is part of Cato and they're the only school in the country to offer a Ph.D in Austrian Economics. And take the guy in this thread for example: he's a member of Cato and and editor of Mises' journal. They're different organizations but they've both done great things for getting the message out, regardless of who supported Ron Paul (and many people at Cato did).
    Well seems to me Ron Paul did more in the real world than anyone associated with CATO, and Ron is a devout Austrian and a member of the LvMI. Many people at CATO are Monetarists.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com

Is it some sort of contest? I like both organizations and plenty of Cato people supported Ron Paul.

Is it some sort of contest? I like both organizations and plenty of Cato people supported Ron Paul.
    I believe that CATO presents the wrong message and policies. They like to try and think they can make Government programs more efficient, and workable and since many are Monetarists they actually believe they can, when economics (Austrianism) tells them, no you can't. So, I will try and educate people to be leery of CATO. If you like beltway-libertarianism, then thats fine by me, but don't think I'll be supportive of it, or won't voice loud opposition.

If you want an expose don't have to look further than this:

http://www.cato.org/event.php?eventid=6807
    http://healthcare.cato.org/medicare-medicaid

It's up to you though. I don't care for Koch one iota either.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    How many hits a day does CATO get? LvMI gets 1 mil + a month. Secondly, do you remember CATO trashing Ron Paul? I certainly do. CATO hasn't been a reliable libertarian organization for a long-time now.
    CATO does not follow a specific ideology, while the Ludwig von Mises Institute tends to closely follow the ideals of Murray Rothbard (and not all Austrians agree with Murray Rothbard, especially in regards to free banking). I went to CATO University 2009, and it was not half-bad; it was not as specific as the Mises Circle I went to in November, but it was a pretty good set of lectures. CATO attracts a wide variety of individuals, and that's what I respect about them.

I agree that the Ludwig von Mises Institute "sticks to its guns", so to speak, but CATO and the LvMI have two different missions. Over the long-run, I think that CATO will do a fairly good job in converting a lot of would-be Republicans. There is a lot of criticism of LvMI from CATO, including from Tom G. Palmer (a very bright author and a very good public-speaker), but I think generally CATO does more good than harm.