Thread: New Speak "Enemy Combatants Now Called "Alien Unprivileged Enemy Belligerents"

New Speak "Enemy Combatants Now Called "Alien Unprivileged Enemy Belligerents"

Resumed military panels face new challenges
    By Peter Finn
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, December 4, 2009

GUANTANAMO BAY, CUBA -- Military commissions at Guantanamo Bay, which President Obama suspended amid much fanfare immediately after taking office, quietly resumed this week with new signs of the legal complexities of the cases and the challenges for prosecutors.

The military court had to grapple with determining where a defendant, Ibrahim Ahmed Mahmoud al Qosi -- and by extension other detainees -- stand under the new military commissions law enacted in October to provide more due process for detainees.

Under the old system, Qosi and other detainees were called "unlawful enemy combatants," but the new law refers to them as "alien unprivileged enemy belligerents," a moniker that military prosecutors said is more in line with the Geneva Conventions. The government said it wanted to amend the charges against Qosi to reflect the new language, but his defense attorneys argued that a separate court hearing was necessary.

The military judge agreed Thursday, and set a hearing for Jan. 6. One military prosecutor feared it could become a "mini-trial" in itself, adding to the government's burden in that case and others.

..........................."
    more here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...303409_pf.html
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ROTGLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Political Correctness taken to the insane dimension!

-t

So, they'd just be 'Enemy Belligerents' if they got a license?

A brilliant idea! Just ban terrorism! Why didn't we think of that in the first place?

wonder how much money was spent on the lawyers / marketing execs to devise this piece of nonsense.
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

Quote Originally Posted by RM918 View Post
    So, they'd just be 'Enemy Belligerents' if they got a license?

A brilliant idea! Just ban terrorism! Why didn't we think of that in the first place?
    slaps forehead - Oh man - I could have had a v8!

come to think of it - why can't we just ban Congress and the FudGuv?

lol!

-t

I bet you find that title in the health care legislation somewhere.

Unprivileged? So having a lawyer and trial by jury are privileges now?
    "My pride in my country is inversely proportional to Michelle Obama's pride in her country."
    - Me

New speak is supposed to make things simpler so this is not new speak.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In these parts the neo-con warmongers are just calling them "bad guys".

When I clicked, I thought this thread was going to be a parody ...
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Obama was brought in to insure that everything is politically correct from the view point of the Left.
    Things change more and yet somehow remain the same.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

Damn politically correct progressives are too smart by half.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

This would be as opposed to domestic priveledged enemy beligerents:

“If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.