Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Needed:Simple Vegetarian Recipes..GO!

Needed:Simple Vegetarian Recipes..GO!

I have found myself growing bored with my usual meals so I need some new recipes..

preferably something that takes little time to prepare.. thanks!
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been eating too much meat lately, here are a couple of simple ideas:
    Apple and Peanut Butter

Brown Rice and fresh veggies
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

FJB

Beans and Rice, you can make those home made but Zatarain's is pretty good and cheap. Pinto beans are also damn good but those can take 3 hours to make if you use quick soak method.

I made this many times and it turned out great.

YouTube - EGGPLANT PARMESAN
    A king metal slime draws near!

hahaha, just drive down to luling, order up a pound of brisket, pound of ribs, and five or six links.

(prep. time, 20 min.)

That'll cure ya. You'll be ready to bathe in veggies when you get back home.

Green Peppers
    Brown Rice
    Tomato sauce
    onions
    Veggie Crumbles - Morningstar Meal Starters Grillers Crumbles

Make Stuffed peppers without the meat.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Slaw-

1/2 cup cabbage chopped per serving
    tsp olive oil per serving
    teaspoon of lemon juice per serving
    dill leave to taste
    1/2tsp prepared mustard per serving.
    salt and pepper to taste
    tsp mayo per serving(optional)

stir all ingredients until well coated.

1 can sweet potatoes
    1 hot pepper (whichever you prefer)
    1 onion (vidalia)
    1 dash habanero sauce
    1 package flour tortilla shells

Dice and saute onion and put in bowl. Add sweet potatoes, diced pepper and dash of sauce. Mash up nicely until smooth.
    Smooth mash onto tortillas and roll up. Fry them in a pan until crispy.

Other ingredients can be added as well. Oven roasted corn goes well in this roll-up also.

Kotin, even my husband raves about this all veggie soup, and he is the type that insists a meal is not a meal without meat! I know it's not exactly super quick, there's chopping involved, but it's so darn good I had to pass it along, it's good for what ails ya.
    Enjoy!

Garden Minestrone

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup and 2 tablespoons cheese)
    Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons olive oil
    * 1 cup chopped onion
    * 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
    * 4 garlic cloves, minced
    * 3 cups chopped yellow squash
    * 3 cups chopped zucchini
    * 1 cup chopped carrot
    * 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
    * 4 cups chopped tomato, divided
    * 3 (14-ounce) cans vegetable stock, divided
    * 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini pasta (very short tube-shaped macaroni)
    * 1 (15.5-ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
    * 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
    * Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Preparation

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until softened. Add oregano and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in squash, zucchini, carrot, and corn; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.

Place 3 cups tomato and 1 can broth in a blender; process until smooth. Add tomato mixture to pan; return pan to heat. Stir in remaining 1 cup tomato and remaining 2 cans broth; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.

Add pasta and beans to pan; cook 10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Ladle soup into individual bowls; top with cheese. Garnish with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
    Last edited by kaleidoscope eyes; 12-02-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    ~Lao-tzu

"Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority, or if it is said to come from angels, or from Gods, or from an inspired source. Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart and mind and body and found it to be true."~ Buddha

Jack's Cream of Mushroom soup.

1 lb Mushrooms (Chantrelles are the preferred variety)
    1 quart heavy whipping cream
    1 stick butter
    1 TBSP salt
    1 clove fresh garlic
    1 small onion

Sautee chopped mushrooms, chopped onion, and pressed garlic in butter.
    When mushrooms are cooked down to appx 1/2 their original size, add cream and salt.
    Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occassionally to avoid a skin.
    Season to taste with your favorite herbs and spices.

Can be used as a gravy (thicken with flour) great on mashed potatoes.
    Can be used as a soup (Thin with milk or water) great for dipping grilled cheese sandwiches.
    Can be used as the "Cream of Mushroom" ingredient in all those recipes which call for a can of Campbells cream of mushroom.

I invented this recipe because I wanted a way to make all those simple recipes without being a slave to store-bought cans. We have a lot of wild Chantrelles in my area so that is what I used. Last year was a bumper crop of Chantrelles and I picked over 100lbs of mushrooms last year while deer hunting. I canned this soup recipe in 1/2 pint canning jars and used them just like I would a can of campbells for the whole year. The mushroom crop wasn't quite so good this year, but we still made about 3 gallons of soup.
    Last edited by Icymudpuppy; 12-02-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Herbed polenta/veggie saute

-Heat a saute pan at medium with a dab of grapeseed oil
    -Fill the pan with polenta triangles***
    -Toss oregano (or any other italian-ish herbs) on top of the triangles. Cook until crispy and golden brown on the bottom.
    -Flip, cook until other side is also crispy and golden.
    -Add finely chopped zucchini, mushrooms, and spring onions, continue to cook until these veggies are finished.

***how to make polenta triangles
    YouTube - Polenta Triangles

Guacummus (avocado hummus)

-Blend 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup tahini, 1/4 water, & 2-4 cloves garlic until liquefied.
    -Add a 16 oz can of chickpeas and 2 avocados, puree until smooth.
    -Garnish with cumin, paprika, and spring onions.

E. Fagioli Soup

Fagioli Soup is great for winter.

My recipe

1 onion, chopped
    3 carrots, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
    2 (10 ounce) cans vegitable stock
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon Basil
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Ronzoni Healthy harvest Whole Wheat Rotini - about 1 cup or as much as you like. I use more some use less.

Olive oil

Saute: in the olive oil the garlic and red pepper flakes for one minute then add the carrots and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
    Add the veg stock tomatoes and onions and the basil and oregano.....bring to a boil
    Add the beans and Noodles and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.

throw some parmesan on top and enjoy

You can also substitute the Del monte tomatoes with basil, orgegano and garlic for more convience.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Home made vegetable soup.
    Start with the longest to cook and keep adding stuff till the pot is full.
    Add a little salt.
    Eat for days.

I like hamburger in it though.
    /chuckle
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

Eggplant Ratatouille (I usually eat it with some jasmine rice.. the tomatoes and eggplant have been coming straight from my garden, and I usually add a jalapeno from my garden in with the peppers)

Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
    * 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
    * 1 small eggplant, cubed
    * 2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
    * 4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped, or 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
    * 3 to 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    * 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation:
    In a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add eggplant; stir until coated with oil. Add peppers; stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking.

Add tomatoes, zucchini, and herbs; mix well. Cover and cook over low heat about 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender but not too soft.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-02-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thai Green Curry (this is my favorite food in the entire world...also eaten with jasmine rice)

Get some thai green curry paste and follow the recipe that comes with it, for the most part. You'll also need canned coconut milk, sugar (white or brown), onion, garlic, bell peppers, tofu (or eggplant or squash, etc.) and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF AROMATIC, FRESH BASIL!!

Start by frying up the curry paste and minced garlic (there's garlic in the curry paste, but I like to add a little extra), then add the coconut milk and stir. Add the veggies and tofu (chopped into large pieces), cook for 5 minutes or so. Mince the basil, add that in, then add sugar and salt to taste.

Until you get used to using a particular curry paste, it's really easy to make it too strong (read: spicy) or not strong enough (read: not spicy enough).. so have some extra coconut milk on hand in case you make it too spicy, you can then make a bigger portion, add more veggies and save the left-overs. If it's not spicy enough, then just fry a little up in a pan on the side and add it into the curry.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

you guys are keeping me fed.. KEEP EM COMIN'
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Eggplant Ratatouille (I usually eat it with some jasmine rice.. the tomatoes and eggplant have been coming straight from my garden, and I usually add a jalapeno from my garden in with the peppers)

Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
    * 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
    * 1 small eggplant, cubed
    * 2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
    * 4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped, or 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
    * 3 to 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    * 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation:
    In a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add eggplant; stir until coated with oil. Add peppers; stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking.

Add tomatoes, zucchini, and herbs; mix well. Cover and cook over low heat about 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender but not too soft.
    Sounds expensive!

Oh yeah don't forget about Nissin Top Ramen Oriental flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Thai Green Curry (this is my favorite food in the entire world...also eaten with jasmine rice)

Get some thai green curry paste and follow the recipe that comes with it, for the most part. You'll also need canned coconut milk, sugar (white or brown), onion, garlic, bell peppers, tofu (or eggplant or squash, etc.) and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF AROMATIC, FRESH BASIL!!

Start by frying up the curry paste and minced garlic (there's garlic in the curry paste, but I like to add a little extra), then add the coconut milk and stir. Add the veggies and tofu (chopped into large pieces), cook for 5 minutes or so. Mince the basil, add that in, then add sugar and salt to taste.

Until you get used to using a particular curry paste, it's really easy to make it too strong (read: spicy) or not strong enough (read: not spicy enough).. so have some extra coconut milk on hand in case you make it too spicy, you can then make a bigger portion, add more veggies and save the left-overs. If it's not spicy enough, then just fry a little up in a pan on the side and add it into the curry.

this is actually one of my favorites as well.. and thankfully there is an authentic thai place in my town.. they make the best green curry EVER!

Indian Lentils (eaten with Basmati rice if possible, also naan or roti bread)

You can use any kind of lentil, red, green, black, yellow, etc..

You can optionally add vegetables, garbonzo beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, cream, butter, whatever..

First you're going to follow the recipe for the lentils, because different lentils require different cooking times. After the lentils have softened up, in another pan add some peanut, olive or sesame oil and fry up some garlic, onion, ginger etc, and add some spices. The easiest way to spice this is to get some garam masala, it's a mix of indian spices (common ingredients are black & white peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves, long pepper (also known as pippali), black cumin (known as shahi jeera), cumin seeds, cinnamon; black, brown, & green cardamom, nutmeg, star anise and coriander seeds. Varying combinations of these and other spices are used in regional variants of garam masala,[1] none of which is considered more authentic than another. -wiki)

Cook 'em up and throw them into your lentils, salt and add more spice and ginger to taste. You can add lemon juice as well. Cook for another 10 minutes or so and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote_sprit View Post
    Oh yeah don't forget about Nissin Top Ramen Oriental flavor.
    No, no Nong Shim Kimchi flavor ramen is the best. Crack a couple eggs into it... man, you are golden.
    ~Lao-tzu

"Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority, or if it is said to come from angels, or from Gods, or from an inspired source. Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart and mind and body and found it to be true."~ Buddha

Sounds expensive!
    Probably costs me about $2.15 max for a personal amount Maybe less since half the stuff is coming from my garden

Cooking up veggies to eat is pretty cheap.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ok, another VERY hearty veg soup, make sure you have a large stockpot.

Super Duper Garden Soup

2 C. Tomato Juice (canned or homemade)
    2 C. Water
    1 C. Diced onions
    1/2 C. fresh or frozen corn
    1/2 C. chopped fresh parsely
    1/2 C. sliced carrots, fresh, frozen, or canned
    1/2 C. diced green beans, fresh, frozen, or canned
    1 C. frozen mixed vegetables
    1/2 C frozen peas
    3 C. fresh sweet potatoes or yams, diced small
    1 (14-15oz) canned diced tomatoes plus liquid, or fresh tomatoes
    1/4 C. diced green pepper
    1 t. salt
    1/2 t. dried basil
    1/2 t. dried oregano
    1/2 t. garlic powder
    1/2 t. onion powder
    1 1/2 T. honey
    pepper optional

Place all ingreds. in a large stockpot. Mix well, cover and bring to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 mins to 1 hr. Stir every half hour until the sweet potatoes or yams are tender. Let set 10 mins covered, stir and taste. Re-season if desired.

This is very satisfying and will feed you for quite a while, you may want to freeze some.
    ~Lao-tzu

Kotin...

do you eat any meat at all? Meaning fish...like Salmon. got a ton of great recipes for that.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Kotin...

do you eat any meat at all? Meaning fish...like Salmon. got a ton of great recipes for that.
    Lol, a Jew eating salmon.

Lol, a Jew eating salmon.
    Never heard that...Jesus and the disciples were fisherman.

If it's a question of Kosher..........well.......
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Never heard that...Jesus and the disciples were fisherman.

If it's a question of Kosher..........well.......
    Most Jews I know enjoy lox.

Most Jews I know enjoy lox.
    there is some nasty food.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast