Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are humans supposed to eat meat?

Are humans supposed to eat meat?

I'm really disconnected from the food I eat, as I have never hunted, killed, skinned, and done all the other necessary steps to get an animal to where it is ready to be consumed. Today I started watching Food Inc. and I paused it to ask this question to the forum: Are we suppose to eat meat? My thoughts are that we are really suppose to eat fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. and meat should be eaten only as a last resort/survival kind of thing. I don't think I'm going to stop eating meat anytime soon, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on this topic. Thanks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well when i developed arthritis at age 16, I gave it up given the uric acid content and it disappeared and has only really started coming back now.Been vegetarian most my lives and always had lots of energy and red cheeks!
    The world does not consist of a throng of geniuses. WilliamBanzai7

I've always been a meat eater....probably to my detriment, but I've tried to limit the amount of red meat I eat now that I'm much more educated about it's affects. I'll probably never give it up for the vegitarian lifestyle although I acknowledge it's probably much healthier.
    But no one can convince me that foods such as oily fish are anything but a positive part of a healthy diet. So I disagree that veganism or vegitarianism is a superior diet. The healthiest societies on earth disprove this.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I'd think so given that we have canine teeth (I think that's what they're called).

I think most humans need some source of protein, so depending on where you live, people probably were required to eat meat to get the protein.

Just my uneducated opinion.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Most of the meat eaten by other primates is insects and carrion. Primates are scavengers, and eat whatever they come across. Much like Raccoons, Opossums, Skunks, Black bears, etc.
    Humans are primates.

We aren't really physiologically designed to be a top predator. We are omnivores. capable of processing pretty much anything, but fruit and vegetables are at the top of the list of suitable foods, nuts next, meat, and then grains are last.

No omnivore except humans subsists on grains. And we aren't designed for it. Only the last 6000 years of agriculture has yielded a diet high in grains. We really don't process wheat, oats, barley, rice, corn, rye, etc very well, and those kinds of carbs are really not good for us metabolically. They are Highly fattening.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    Most of the meat eaten by other primates is insects and carrion. Primates are scavengers, and eat whatever they come across. Much like Raccoons, Opossums, Skunks, Black bears, etc.
    Humans are primates.
    While that might be true, there is also speculation that one of the reasons we evolved intellectually beyond primates was due to the fact that we eat meat, especially fish. Given the composition of our brains, I don't think that's too wild of a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    While that might be true, there is also speculation that one of the reasons we evolved intellectually beyond primates was due to the fact that we eat meat, especially fish. Given the composition of our brains, I don't think that's too wild of a guess.
    If that were the case, then Black bears and Raccoons would be smarter than we are, as they eat proportionally more meat than most other scavengers including humans.

Of course, come to think about it. Most raccoons are smarter than most people I know.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Yep. the empirical study Dan Buettner headed up has shown that fish is the best animal protein for longevity.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also we have forward facing eyes, common trait among meat eaters in nature

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Yep. the empirical study Dan Buettner headed up has shown that fish is the best animal protein for longevity.
    Yeah, too bad it is now laden with mercury.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

If that were the case, then Black bears and Raccoons would be smarter than we are, as they eat proportionally more meat than most other scavengers including humans.

Of course, come to think about it. Most raccoons are smarter than most people I know.
    Both raccoons and bears are intelligent relative to their species. They are not, however, primates.

Children probably need a higher protein diet I always gave my children the option to eat meat but they mostly ate veggies, fruits and nuts. If anybody craved it they got some.

I eat mostly grains, veggies and nuts I don't like too much fruit. Some dairy (milk in cereal), and an egg or two every so often little butter for my toast occasionally.

The reason I don't eat meat is because it makes my gut hurt and it constipates me. I would think anyone who digestive problems ought to try doing without meat and dairy to see if it helps improve their condition before they start taking lots of medicine.

I think the Japanese diet is very good but also the Mediterranean diet is very good.
    Last edited by Working Poor; 11-22-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Yes...it's a catch 22.

I guess I'll risk that over a coronary at age 50.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Thanks for the responses guys, some good information.

@Icymudpuppy - Didn't know grains could be looked at in a negative light. Thought they were actually one of the best things to eat. After looking into it more, looks like you are right. By the way, after seeing your sig I have to ask. Are you a Civilization player?

I'm really just trying to get a healthy diet and stick to it. I ate a lot of Taco Bell and Wendy's growing up and I'm trying to change my bad ways.
    Last edited by ktorp18; 11-22-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Misread Todd's post

Quote Originally Posted by ktorp18 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, some good information.

@Todd - Where did you hear fish was not in the healthiest diets? From what I've read, the healthiest diet in the world is an island off Japan where they basically live off fish and rice. What have you heard is the healthiest diet?

I'm really just trying to get a healthy diet and stick to it. I ate a lot of Taco Bell and Wendy's growing up and I'm trying to change my bad ways.
    I said this...

But no one can convince me that foods such as oily fish are anything but a positive part of a healthy diet
    I'm sorry if that sounded anything other than promoting fish. Oily fish is indeed the best animal protein for health and longevity.

My wife and I read Dan Buettner's study of the healthiest communities on earth and it really changed my attitude on eating things like soy and less red meat. Read the Bluezones.....it's a fantastic look at places like Okinawa....so you are completely right about this being one of those places.

I used to laugh at my wife when we first got married cause she tried to get me to eat tofu burgers. My normal meal was a 14 oz ribeye and a baked potato loaded.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Indeed. Quite the catch-22.

There are some interesting designs for aquaculture that could possibly help alleviate some of this. Unfortunately, the fish with the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids and other complex beneficial molecules, fish like salmon and tuna, would probably not do well with aquaculture.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Check out some of your local sources. We have a bison farm around here that sells very healthy, lean meat that is often superior in flavor to cow meat. It's not cheap, but it would be a major improvement in diet to up your complex carbohydrates, vegetables and fruit and eat smaller quantities of very healthy protein.

Check out some of your local sources. We have a bison farm around here that sells very healthy, lean meat that is often superior in flavor to cow meat. It's not cheap, but it would be a major improvement in diet to up your complex carbohydrates, vegetables and fruit and eat smaller quantities of very healthy protein.
    Yep. Local farms and Coops and natural food stores are great but they are pricey. Eating healthy is going to be expensive...make no mistake.

Bison, Venison...all lean meats are great. The key is moderation. I still like to eat the 14oz ribeye...just not every week.
    Try some of the soy veggie crumbles and put them in chili's and spaghetti sauces in place of meat. It'll take some time, but if I can do it I think anyone can.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

@Todd - Yeah I realized I misread what you said about 5 seconds after I made that post. Thanks for the recommendations. I think Okinawa was the island I read about. Actually, I'm pretty sure I read a summary of the first book you referenced. I've also had the steak and potatoe combo for many a dinner (when I wasn't chowing down fast food). Since I'm only 20 I'm hoping I haven't done too much damage to my body.

@Amy - I think a local source is really what I'm looking for. Some of my friends have started shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, so I might check them out. I live in Virginia so finding local produce shouldn't be a problem at all.

Yep. Local farms and Coops and natural food stores are great but they are pricey. Eating healthy is going to be expensive...make no mistake.

Bison, Venison...all lean meats are great. The key is moderation. I still like to eat the 14oz ribeye...just not every week.
    Try some of the soy veggie crumbles and put them in chili's and spaghetti sauces in place of meat. It'll take some time, but if I can do it I think anyone can.
    Yeah, it is expensive. Which is why I often use meat in Chinese or Japanese style--lots of vegetables, rice and smaller portions of meat for everyday purposes.

But there's no way I'm giving up the occasional juicy steak or pork tenderloin or seared rare ahi tuna wrapped in bacon. *droooooool*

@Icymudpuppy - Didn't know grains could be looked at in a negative light. Thought they were actually one of the best things to eat. After looking into it more, looks like you are right. By the way, after seeing your sig I have to ask. Are you a Civilization player?.
    Yes, I am a Civ player. As for grains... You get more fiber from leafy greens like spinach, cabbage, brocolli, etc. They have almost no vitamins, protein, or other essential nutrients. Just carbs. Carbs are pretty useless for overall nutritional health.

Personally, if I just eat carbs, I get hungry again right away even though my belly might be full, because my body is still craving nutrients.

On the other hand, if I eat meat and vegetables, I feel satisfied for hours.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Yes, I am a Civ player. As for grains... You get more fiber from leafy greens like spinach, cabbage, brocolli, etc. They have almost no vitamins, protein, or other essential nutrients. Just carbs. Carbs are pretty useless for overall nutritional health.

Personally, if I just eat carbs, I get hungry again right away even though my belly might be full, because my body is still craving nutrients.

On the other hand, if I eat meat and vegetables, I feel satisfied for hours.
    Word. I had to uninstall Civ 4 before it completely took over my life. Looks like I need to lower the carbs and eat more veggies. Right now my diet has a lot of carbs. Usually start off the day with 2 Panera Bread plain bagels with cream cheese, and for lunch it's usually a chicken sub on Italian bread from Panera.

If you like your cream cheese, here's a suggestion...

Breakfast change: slice a peach, apple, or other fruit in half and put a dollop of cream cheese, yogurt, or cottage cheese in the center where the pit/core used to be. Or if you still must have that tasty bagel, cut it back to 1/2 of one.

Lunch: Try a chicken or Tuna salad with tomatoes and cucumbers instead of the sandwich.

You really only need carbs if you burn a lot of energy. If you are a manual laborer, or an athlete, carbs are useful for giving you extra calories to burn in a physically demanding task. If you sit at a desk all day, you should probably avoid them at all cost.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Humans are Omnivores, they are suppose to eat a balance of Meats and Plants. IMO

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Word. I had to uninstall Civ 4 before it completely took over my life. Looks like I need to lower the carbs and eat more veggies. Right now my diet has a lot of carbs. Usually start off the day with 2 Panera Bread plain bagels with cream cheese, and for lunch it's usually a chicken sub on Italian bread from Panera.
    You're still young, but you've got to start good habits now or you get like some of us and learn it late....and then it get's harder.

1st rule of thumb is cut out eating out as much as possible.

If your going to eat Carbs make sure they aren't empty carbs. (candy, chips, snacks) Eat whole grains, whole wheat not white (I.E. Italian bread)

Panara bagel with cream cheese is a heck of a lot of carb overload in the morning. I'd be crashing by 9a.m.

You need more protein in the morning to avoid the crash and balance out. Try eggs on a whole wheat english muffin instead. If times a factor, the Egg mcmuffin is the best of the bad choices in fast food.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

If you like your cream cheese, here's a suggestion...

Breakfast change: slice a peach, apple, or other fruit in half and put a dollop of cream cheese, yogurt, or cottage cheese in the center where the pit/core used to be. Or if you still must have that tasty bagel, cut it back to 1/2 of one.

Lunch: Try a chicken or Tuna salad with tomatoes and cucumbers instead of the sandwich.

You really only need carbs if you burn a lot of energy. If you are a manual laborer, or an athlete, carbs are useful for giving you extra calories to burn in a physically demanding task. If you sit at a desk all day, you should probably avoid them at all cost.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do eat a banana, apple, or yogurt with every meal, so I guess my diet hasn't been a complete failure. I know we've been talking about how grains aren't great, but what about oatmeal? I've read a lot of good things about it and I'd be happy to start off my day with a bowl of cinnamon oatmeal and an apple. The chicken salad is a good idea for lunch too, I'm going to start to switch towards that. I'm not a very active person, though I use to play basketball for hours everyday. Now I just get a 30 minute jog in every day along with some crunches and pushups.

You're still young, but you've got to start good habits now or you get like some of us and learn it late....and then it get's harder.

1st rule of thumb is cut out eating out as much as possible.

If your going to eat Carbs make sure they aren't empty carbs. (candy, chips, snacks) Eat whole grains, whole wheat not white (I.E. Italian bread)

Panara bagel with cream cheese is a heck of a lot of carb overload in the morning. I'd be crashing by 9a.m.

You need more protein in the morning to avoid the crash and balance out. Try eggs on a whole wheat english muffin instead. If times a factor, the Egg mcmuffin is the best of the bad choices in fast food.
    I've started to basically never eat out, mainly because I don't have the money for it. I get the Panera bread stuff for free because my parents to some type of local church thing with them and give out food to those in need. They get to take home the leftovers, so we are always fully stocked with those empty carbs. Like I said to Icymudpuppy, I'm thinking about switching to oatmeal and an apple for breakfast, but you are right, I still need the protein. I guess I can put an egg or 2 on the side to go with the oatmeal and apple.
    Last edited by ktorp18; 11-22-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Oatmeal counts as a whole grain. It is still mostly just carbs though. Your jogging is probably sufficient to burn off the calories of the oatmeal and you will still get the benefit of the fiber.

Protein is important. I'm allergic to eggs these days, so I eat meats. I prefer wild game like venison, but I do have a soft spot for bacon.

I agree with Todd. Stay away from the bagel, and get some more protein.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

I'm really disconnected from the food I eat, as I have never hunted, killed, skinned, and done all the other necessary steps to get an animal to where it is ready to be consumed. Today I started watching Food Inc. and I paused it to ask this question to the forum: Are we suppose to eat meat? My thoughts are that we are really suppose to eat fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. and meat should be eaten only as a last resort/survival kind of thing. I don't think I'm going to stop eating meat anytime soon, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on this topic. Thanks.
    The short answer: Our digestive system is designed to process animal flesh; humans cannot digest cellulose very well. Ruminants such as cows, deer, etc., have multiple stomachs where bacteria eat the cellulose and the animals eat the bacteria so technically even ruminants are meat eaters.

Oatmeal counts as a whole grain. It is still mostly just carbs though. Your jogging is probably sufficient to burn off the calories of the oatmeal and you will still get the benefit of the fiber.

Protein is important. I'm allergic to eggs these days, so I eat meats. I prefer wild game like venison, but I do have a soft spot for bacon.

I agree with Todd. Stay away from the bagel, and get some more protein.
    I have two sisters and both of their boyfriends are big hunters and they bring over venison all the time, it's great! Putting some of that on a whole wheat muffin with an egg instead of sausage would be good stuff.

as far as eating grains goes it depends on if you are buying high quality or not the GMO grains are terrible especially the corn which is the cause of many food allergies in these times.

Grains are very important for people who do not eat meat as they do supply B vitamins and other minerals.

I like the Mediterranean diet. I can't live with out my humus and taboli on pita

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast