Thread: All Gold Ever Mined (155K Metric Tons) Would Fit In 2 Olympic Swimming Pools

Exclamation All Gold Ever Mined (155K Metric Tons) Would Fit In 2 Olympic Swimming Pools

http://news.silverseek.com/GoldIsMoney/1258664032.php

Seems like there would be more than that...

"Will all the gold in the world fill 2 Olympic sized swimming pools?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold

Density of gold: 19.30 g·cm-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram_per_cubic_metre

1 g/cm3 equals 1000 kg/m3

thus:

19,300 kilos per cubic meter for gold

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...y+ounce+per+ki logram&aq=0&aqi=g1&oq=troy+ounce+per+kilo&fp=8ec9e a851cee2c5b

1 kilogram = 32.1507466 troy ounce

620,509 troy oz. per cubic meter

1 tonne = 32,150.7466 troy ounce

19.3 tonnes per cubic meter, acts to check and prove the "kilo per oz." and "tonne per oz." math is correct.

19,300 kilos = 19.3 metric tonnes per cubic meter.

155,000 tonnes of gold mined in all of human history
    divided by 19.3 tonnes per cubic meter,
    equals 8031 cubic meters!

Volume of an Olympic Swimming Pool?
    http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/...yGilbert.shtml

25 meters by 50 meters by 2-3 meters deep = 25 x 50 x 2.5 = 3125 cubic meters

8031 cubic meters / 3125 cubic meters = 2.57 pools

Thus, all the gold in all the world, ever mined in all of human history, will fill 2.57 Olympic Sized swimming pools.

Since the depth of an Olympic Swimming pool can be deeper, and since the 2-3 meter depth is a minimum, all the gold in all the world would easily fit into two slightly deeper than normal, Olympic Sized Swimming pools.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I haven't checked the math, but that doesn't sound right.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

C,

We have three swimming pools available for storage at our place. No storage charges, and the big pool is straight off my balcony. I can keep an eye on it so it stays safe. There will even be a fence around it to keep it safe. I have a key to the gate to check up on it.

Oh, sure there's more than that.

It just has a creamy tungsten center.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Yea It doesn't sound right. Vietnam just purchased 6 metric tons of Gold which equates to 211,641 1 oz Gold Coins. Barring my math is correct... 1 tonne (i.e., a metric ton) = 2204.6 pounds.

Olympic sized swimming pools are huge. You could probably create a solid dollar gold coin for every dollar in circulation with that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    C,

We have three swimming pools available for storage at our place. No storage charges, and the big pool is straight off my balcony. I can keep an eye on it so it stays safe. There will even be a fence around it to keep it safe. I have a key to the gate to check up on it.
    Good post. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    i've heard people make this claim before.

i've also heard all the gold in the world would be a block of gold the size of a basketball court, 80 feet high.

i think the 2 olympic sized swimming pool thing is accurate... that's why there's not that much gold out there

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Olympic swimming pools are so huge because they built them on Mount Olympus for the gods to swim in. Wait, am I on topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Sounds about right to me. I remember it being something like a 10-meter cube if it were all stacked together.

I think this claim could have been true 50 years ago, my grandfather use to tell me that, but with the amount of mining that's gone on since then, I bet the amount has probably quadrupled.