Thread: About 1 Million People to Lose Unemployment Benefits in January 2010

About 1 Million People to Lose Unemployment Benefits in January 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/us...ploy.html?_r=2

About one million laid-off workers will see their unemployment benefits end in January unless Congress acts quickly to renew existing federally paid extensions, according to a new survey and legislators and state officials.

The record-long extension of emergency benefits that was hastily signed into law on Nov. 6 was widely praised as an essential lifeline for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who had spent a year or more in fruitless searches for jobs.

The new law provided up to 14 weeks of federally paid aid to unemployed people who had exhausted existing state and federal limits, benefits that already extended up to 79 weeks in many states. And for the majority of states with particularly high unemployment, it added an additional six weeks of payments, bringing the potential total to 99 weeks.

But many legislators, state aid officials and struggling workers apparently failed to read the fine print. The added federal benefits were built on a series of previous extensions that are slated to end on Dec. 31, unless Congress renews these programs before then. People who lost their jobs after July 1 of this year, for example, would receive no federal extensions once their customary six months of state aid runs out.

While discussions have started, Congress is not yet considering a specific proposal. And unless it acts before the Christmas break, officials warn, the extensions will end, leaving large numbers of workers with no coverage. If Congress, now caught up with the health care overhaul, delays action until next year, millions would face wrenching gaps in aid that many thought would be automatic.

“There are six people looking for every available job, and these payments are enabling people to pay their mortgages and put food on the table,” said Representative Jim McDermott, Democrat of Washington, who championed the Nov. 6 law and hopes to light a new fire under Congress.

“It’s a horribly complicated system, and most people didn’t pay attention,” Mr. McDermott said of the need for quick Congressional renewal. He and Congressional staff members said that while they believe an extension will eventually pass with broad support, action in the next few weeks is by no means certain. Renewing all federally paid extended benefits for 2010 would cost about $80 billion, Mr. McDermott said.

Nancy E. Dunphy, deputy commissioner for employment security with the New York State Department of Labor, said that officials in New York and other states “were taken by surprise by this.”

“It makes no sense,” Ms. Dunphy said. “You had the president and others saying that the intent was to add 20 weeks of benefits, and now we have this glitch, if you want to call it that.”

For people suffering long-term unemployment, a gap of several weeks in aid — let alone a premature, permanent end — can be cataclysmic. Alexandra Jarrin, 48, was laid off in March 2008 from her job in New York as a director of client services. As she searched widely for a job, moving back and forth between New York and Tennessee, she received aid of more than $400 a month that, she said, just barely “kept my head at the waterline.”

But her extensions ran out early last month and in subsequent weeks, as Congress deliberated, her life fell apart. She has just started receiving what will be 14 extra weeks of aid under the new law, but has rent overdue and faces eviction from her apartment in Brentwood, Tenn. “There’s no way I can recover now, I’m too far behind,” she said. “I’m going to get kicked into the street.”

In ordinary times, unemployed workers in most states receive 26 weeks of benefits, averaging just over $300 a week, paid from state insurance funds. Many find jobs before exhausting the aid, but unemployment has been particularly tenacious in the current recession and recovery. Under temporary measures, workers are currently eligible for a series of federally paid extensions, awarded in stages often lasting 13 or 14 weeks at a time.

Some nine million people now receive unemployment insurance, five million on the initial state programs and four million through federal extensions.

Without renewal of the programs for 2010, at the turn of the year recipients will continue receiving benefits to the end of their current stage but will no longer jump to the next stage. Thus Ms. Jarrin will, if she fails to find work, finish out the new 14-week period but will not receive the additional six weeks that Congress promised. She said she has sent out 2,000 resumes and has had only a handful of interviews, without success.

According to projections released Wednesday by the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group that worked with state officials to develop the numbers, 474,111 unemployed workers will exhaust their state benefits during January and, in the absence of Congressional action, not receive any extensions.

An additional 581,000 workers will see their federal benefits end in January, according to the study.

“Congress has less than four weeks left on the schedule to legislate this year, and then the clock will run out for a million workers,” Christine Owens, executive director of the law project, said in a statement on Wednesday.

Ms. Dunphy of New York said that without a federal renewal, 685,000 New Yorkers will not receive expected benefits in 2010. While economic growth has resumed, economists say that job growth will be sluggish, with high unemployment, now at 10.2 percent, persisting through most of the coming year.

The Nov. 6 extensions received overwhelming bipartisan support in the House and then, after six weeks of delay that led to gaps in aid for people like Ms. Jarrin, passed the Senate unanimously.

In addition to renewing the benefit extension, Congress must decide whether to extend aid for COBRA health insurance payments for the unemployed, a tax break on unemployment payments and a $25 a week increase in benefits, all measures that were adopted in the stimulus act in early 2009.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Why would they want to extend benefits?

If 1 million people dropped of the radar, just think how good the unemployment numbers would look!

Quote Originally Posted by JeNNiF00F00 View Post
    just ran out of mine.
    No "emergency" extensions left?

how many times can they extend this?

Quote Originally Posted by ENDG4M3 View Post
    how many times can they extend this?
    Until they get everything set up to fight the Revolution that would happen overnight, or until our money becomes worthless. I find the latter more likely than the former. It's really sad, but Government has perpetuated this through all of its institutions. Education, Information, Monetary/Treasury, IRS, etc.

We must educate as many people as possible before the enivatable collapse.

I still believe though at the heart of the average American the fire for liberty and individualism still runs deep. So in this I have hope, and in incredible times, incredible reform can take place. It is up for us to make sure that the reformation is for the preservation and expansion of liberty rather than it's destruction.

Fly your banners high!
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Didn't they just do a 22 month extension?

Maybe it was a few months less.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/6...ance-extension

I believe they will continue to extend these indefinitely, as when you have millions come off the rolls, that is when things are truly going to get ugly. We are talking about billions injected into the economy on a weekly basis that will go away if they don't extend.

They will keep on extending.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Didn't they just do a 22 month extension?

Maybe it was a few months less.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/6...ance-extension

I believe they will continue to extend these indefinitely, as when you have millions come off the rolls, that is when things are truly going to get ugly. We are talking about billions injected into the economy on a weekly basis that will go away if they don't extend.

They will keep on extending.
    If you thought the last bust was bad, wait until the next one. This is seriously the worst thing they could possibly be doing. I think the next bust will be the final deathknell. It will be at that point that our foreign creditors will refuse to keep America afloat and will come calling for their payment. We're going to have to wake up in any event. Sadly, 80-90% of this country have no idea what's in store for them in the coming decade. And then when you confront them with the reality of the situation they refuse to believe it.....Making slow progress though! Must keep in mind Thomas Jefferson...
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    If you thought the last bust was bad, wait until the next one. This is seriously the worst thing they could possibly be doing. I think the next bust will be the final deathknell. It will be at that point that our foreign creditors will refuse to keep America afloat and will come calling for their payment. We're going to have to wake up in any event. Sadly, 80-90% of this country have no idea what's in store for them in the coming decade. And then when you confront them with the reality of the situation they refuse to believe it.....Making slow progress though! Must keep in mind Thomas Jefferson...
    From the comment section.

32.EDITORS' SELECTIONS (what's this?) Chris
    Milwaukee
    November 18th, 2009
    1:54 pm

Maybe this is a good thing. No one has offered to mow my lawn, clean my gutters, wash my car for money... apparently that's beneath them.

People used to work for money. What happened?
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Hmmm, this recession is two years old, but the cord still hasn't been cut. Pretty gross if you ask me.

Time for a modern day Galt's Gutlch. A distributed union of productive people to wrestle control of monetary units of wealth out of control of a government that devalues everything. Barter and time dollars amongs union members to give CC2009 measures some teeth. G Edward Griffin would be a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethek View Post
    Time for a modern day Galt's Gutlch. A distributed union of productive people to wrestle control of monetary units of wealth out of control of a government that devalues everything. Barter and time dollars amongs union members to give CC2009 measures some teeth. G Edward Griffin would be a fan.
    Time dollars? I'll stick to gold and silver, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    Time dollars? I'll stick to gold and silver, thank you.
    Until they run out, which they will. Gold and silver are not replenishable. There is one thing the free market proves disastrously incapable of doing and that is insuring resources are not sucked dry without causing an economic collapse. People are rarely prudent, partly because being prudent is either expensive or not as fun.

Ultimately it is all a medium of exchange with no true value. You cannot eat gold and silver to stay alive. Building a house out of it is just impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
    Until they run out, which they will. Gold and silver are not replenishable. There is one thing the free market proves disastrously incapable of doing and that is insuring resources are not sucked dry without causing an economic collapse. People are rarely prudent, partly because being prudent is either expensive or not as fun.

Ultimately it is all a medium of exchange with no true value. You cannot eat gold and silver to stay alive. Building a house out of it is just impractical.
    How on earth will we "run out" of gold and silver if they have no practical uses (besides small amounts in small electronics, which can be be recycled)??

Are we going to start throwing gold and silver in our gas tanks?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Must be running short on it somehow with all of the rumors of Tungsten shot in Gold Bars.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    How on earth will we "run out" of gold and silver if they have no practical uses (besides small amounts in small electronics, which can be be recycled)??

Are we going to start throwing gold and silver in our gas tanks?
    Run out, meaning we will not be able to get any more of it. You can always plant more trees, but you can't plant more gold. There will not be enough gold to go around without breaking it down and thus diminishing its value. Either you have a gold standard with pieces of paper that need to be set to increasingly lower amounts of gold or just use gold requiring you to lessen the amount of gold used or reducing the gold content.

Fort Tungsten...

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    Must be running short on it somehow with all of the rumors of Tungsten shot in Gold Bars.
    Actually Gold Plated Tungsten - 400 lbs each.

What less could you expect from the fed banksters?

Also explains why RP can't get into Fort Knox to conduct a gold audit.
    Peacefully Engaged in Domestic Economic Terrorism Since 2004.

Audit Fort Knox so we will know how much Tungsten backs the FRN!