Thread: Use States & Territories Forum To Win Local Elections

Use States & Territories Forum To Win Local Elections

I keep forgetting to write this post up.... Been meaning to for nearly a year. This idea dawned on me after a post asking why the Hell a lot of signs for a candidate's name with no office listed were appearing all over my county. I forgot the forum was public and it ended up being the first page listed in Google for many months before I requested a mod delete it. It was particularly embarrassing because the man runs a legitimate business in the area using his name and were some unwitting person to look him up on the Internet, they'd be exposed to "Why the Hell is this $#@!'s signs all over the damn place without even the courtesy of stating what he's running for?" Whoops.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=267

Select your state, enter a comprehensive title "[backed candidate's name] [office sought] [town/district, state] Platform and Analysis," enter in some analysis of the candidates' platform and back a candidate. Without blatant smearing, compare the most offensive section of candidates' platform to the candidate you're backing. Don't use words like "libertarian." This page exists for the sole purpose of selling the candidate to the general public, not RPFs. Be sure to include all the candidates' names on the page for the best chance for Google hits. Great power, responsibility, blah blah blah... Don't speculate on non-issues like if the candidate's a closet homosexual, eh? Facts, citations, and additional info links will likely do everyone a lot of good.

Why?

RPFs has a high page rank with Google. Most local candidates don't have the resources for a proper website. Unfortunately, this leads to a lot of bad choices since all exists on the Internet is a group of partisan smear sites. Many candidates will not have a comprehensive voting record available. Attend meet-and-greets (or find other contact info) and grill the candidates (politely). Report the candidates' statements back if he doesn't have a platform listed on his pamphlets. Remember this page will likely be on the front page (possibly the first result) of Google when someone searches the candidate's name. There's never enough info on local candidates. A lot of people vote based on how the person's name sounds, party affiliation, and dirty rumors circulating the community because they don't have access to real information. We have a great opportunity to serve our community and ourselves.

Being these pages may be the only list of comprehensive information regarding the local race on the Internet, OPs should take care to flag anything off-topic in their thread. This is the Internet: we're professionals, we're serious, we have trophies.

(You could do this with Proposals, too, of course, and whatever else there is to vote on)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    Bump.

We gotta clean up that whore-house.
    Bump upon learning Jimbo's running again!

You have come up with a good idea. Were you thinking of this mainly for a good candidate, or for bad ones, or for both?

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    You have come up with a good idea. Were you thinking of this mainly for a good candidate, or for bad ones, or for both?
    Either - or it could be used simply as a way to do a public service and list as much information as possible on the different candidates as I doubt many voters are well-informed and generally just look at the letter next to their name or, perhaps for the better, how the candidates' name sounds. :x

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Been working on a strategy like this for a little while now. I'm really trying to get people here to stop focusing on the US Senate, US House and statewide races (gov, lt gov, sos, etc) and get active in a legislative race even if it's not in his/her district.

Right now I have two lists of candidates-- one primary, one general (3rd party and independents not facing a primary)-- and I'm going through them looking for names of new candidates I recognize, where they are, who the incumbent is, etc. I'm asking other people to do the same thing and identify the people they know and giving some sort of feedback about the candidate-- at the very least about the incumbent. Some people know more than others and can document what they know, so that's always good.

I'm certain that if we can get 5 new people elected to the state house/senate we'll see at the very least some gridlock. The statewide races won't stop bad legislation from coming out so why bother?

The combined haul for Rand and Peter from the liberty movement will probably be about $6 million this election cycle.

If we spent that money, on real, winnable state seats with candidates who are up for the challenge, we could have 60 Amashs in a couple years.

I like those odds.

Unfortunately congress had an 8% favorability rate (1st time in single digits) shortly after voting for TARP and yet 95% were re-elected and the one's that voted for TARP had a higher re-election rate. The whole system is rigged for the incumbent party from lobbyists to gerrymandering. Sickening.