Thread: Home defense shotgun

Home defense shotgun

Ok, my first choice of a home defense shotgun would be a Saiga 12 gauge.

This isn't an option for a lot of people. I know that the 12 gauge is preferred by a lot of people. Currently I have access to a Mossberg 500 12 gauge or a Remington 870 20 gauge with a youth stock and barrel. I'm thinking that if I ever needed to go for a shotgun for defense I would go for the 870 first because of the shorter stocker and barrel. It just makes maneuvering easier.

Any opinions about this?
    "If freedom is what we want, it is ours for the taking. Let the revolution begin." - Ron Paul The Revolution: A Manifesto

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For maximum value, look for a used Smith & Wesson Model 3000 at your local gun store. These were standard police issue all the way through the 1970's and 1980's and 90's and there are lots of them still in use today. They are pump action, they are simple, they are reliable.

With a modified choke, they can still be used for hunting small game, they can chamber all kinds of shot but they only accomodate the longer shotgun round. Still, you could still bunny hunt and deer hunt with it. Not exactly a duck gun of choice but for home defense it's just dilly. They can be had for around $170 retail. A great value. And besides, loaded or unloaded, just the sound of a racking shotgun will scare the be-jeesus out of about anybody with any amount of instinct for self-preservation.

Lots of good guns out there, But my personal choice would be the Ithaca Mo.37.

I shoot left handed, It ejects out the bottom. Strong proven design, good parts availability.
    The Ithaca 37 is a pump-action shotgun made in large numbers for the civilian, military, and police markets. Also known as the Featherlight, it utilizes a novel combination ejection/loading port on the bottom of the gun which leaves the sides closed to the elements. In addition, the outline of the gun is clean. Finally, since shells load and eject from the bottom, operation of the gun is equally convenient from either side of the gun. This makes the gun popular with left-handed and right-handed shooters alike.
    And designed by John Moses Browning. Another plus.

Since I was burned by my wife's DB Stoger Uplander, it is a moot point.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 11-16-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I suggest a nice short barreled 12 gauge 870.

Nothing wrong w/ a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Or for that matter any you have mentioned. Persuader is my choice in the new america, Cheap and reliable.
    If I had the big busks I'd go for the marine version of any.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like the benelli M4. I have one and it is fast and flawless, but spendy. The Saiga without mods is not always dependable. My buddy has one and I would not trade him for any reason
    Quote Originally Posted by GBurr View Post
    Ok, my first choice of a home defense shotgun would be a Saiga 12 gauge.

This isn't an option for a lot of people. I know that the 12 gauge is preferred by a lot of people. Currently I have access to a Mossberg 500 12 gauge or a Remington 870 20 gauge with a youth stock and barrel. I'm thinking that if I ever needed to go for a shotgun for defense I would go for the 870 first because of the shorter stocker and barrel. It just makes maneuvering easier.

Any opinions about this?
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito