Thread: Use of depleted uranium in Iraq

Use of depleted uranium in Iraq

I was discussing/debating foreign policy with one of my "Neocon" friends, and he shrugged off the claims that depleted uranium was used in Iraq. He says that he does not beleive the US military used depleted uranium and there's no proof of it being used either.

Any thoughts on this? I thought it was common knowledge that depleted uranium was used, cause I've never heard anyone question this. I'd love to get some opinions and sources if anyone know much about this. Thanks.
    Republican Precinct Committeeman, Arizona LD21.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's used in all kinds of armor piercing rounds due to high density.

The question for concern is how 'depleted' is it exactly?
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

I didn't think there was any question about it being used and there was no secret that it was being used. Given the nature of the war situation, it is probably not currently being used in Iraq. DU is commonly used to harden shells and bombs to achieve greater penetration of targets like hardened vehicles or facilities.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0515/p01s02-woiq.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I didn't think there was any question about it being used and there was no secret that it was being used. Given the nature of the war situation, it is probably not currently being used in Iraq. DU is commonly used to harden shells and bombs to achieve greater penetration of targets like hardened vehicles or facilities.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0515/p01s02-woiq.html
    Thanks for the link. A lot of good info in that article.
    Republican Precinct Committeeman, Arizona LD21.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    It's used in all kinds of armor piercing rounds due to high density.

The question for concern is how 'depleted' is it exactly?
    Ask any US soldiers about it's usage. This above quote is right on. My older brother served 18 months in Iraq (Al Taji), he says it eats through armor like a warm knife through butter.