Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donor to fund getting "For Liberty" placed in EVERY library in the US!!

Exclamation Donor to fund getting "For Liberty" placed in EVERY library in the US!!

Our friend Larry Lepard, who paid for full page grassroots campaign ads in USA Today and the NYTs, has volunteered to fund the costs involved to get For Liberty in all the libraries on the nation. Also to the heads of political science departments of all the universities. Wow!!

It's up to us to figure out the logistics.
    For Liberty - Feature-length doc about the 2008 R3V | Twitter

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fantastic news, thanks Larry!
    tu ne cede malis

Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Our friend Larry Lepard, who paid for full page grassroots campaign ads in USA Today and the NYTs, has volunteered to fund the costs involved to get For Liberty in all the libraries on the nation. Also to the heads of political science departments of all the universities. Wow!!

It's up to us to figure out the logistics.
    Amazing.

I'll volunteer to get copies to all the libraries in NW PA. I can provide a list when this is formalized.

Amazing... Amazing...

GO GRASSROOTS!!!
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

I'm wondering if there's distributor in place who would disperse to each library for us. That already has a supply chain in place with lists/addresses/contacts. Submissions may require a form to be filled out, which would complicate things. Anyone know how this works?

I guess first things first- I'll need to get a list of all the libraries and universities in louisiana. I'm going to be very busy over the next 2 weeks, but i'll try to do some online research at night.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I'm wondering if there's distributor in place who would disperse to each library for us. That already has a supply chain in place with lists/addresses/contacts. Submissions may require a form to be filled out, which would complicate things. Anyone know how this works?
    I'll ask a local librarian if there is such a thing.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I wasn't around much (on forums) for when Larry funded the newspaper ads, I've seen them but I had no idea how expensive they were or the fact they were paid for by one man. I must say after watching For Liberty and seeing this news, Larry is THE man.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I'll ask a local librarian if there is such a thing.
    Excellent idea.

Quick question: would this be for every physical library (ours has about 8 branches) or just for each library system?

This is awesome! Thanks so much LL.

This is the most important activist thread.
    A gift has been offered by a very charitable man- let's do our part to make this happen.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 09-28-2009 at 08:34 AM.

Just sent you an email on some leads.
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

Wow. That is so unbelievably generous I am totally at a loss for words.

I called the Library of Congress. He said that the complete list is found in the "American Library Directory." I would assume that's found in most libraries.

He also suggested we contact the American Library Association before we start shipping.

I'll call them next. Somebody stop me if I'm on the wrong track or duplicating efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I called the Library of Congress. He said that the complete list is found in the "American Library Directory." I would assume that's found in most libraries.

He also suggested we contact the American Library Association before we start shipping.

I'll call them next. Somebody stop me if I'm on the wrong track or duplicating efforts.
    don't stop!!!!!!!

You're on the right track. The ALA might accommodate the disbursement fo us.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Called the ALA at their 800 number, spoke to somebody who said I would need to speak with the librarian, who isn't at her desk right now. They took my number and somebody is supposed to call me back.

I found out that they sell mailing lists of their member libraries, member being the key word. I don't think quick on my feet - I'll write a list of questions. The first question will be about that member list.

What other questions should I ask?

I'm not sure how libraries operate. If we just send them a random DVD, will they put it on their shelves or just toss it aside? My mission here is to try to prevent the latter.
    Last edited by angelatc; 09-28-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: aaaaaaall hyped up on adreneline

I assume the individual librarians have to screen them before they add it to their shelves.

For submission, does each individual library have different rules or are they universal? And is there any kind of form that has to be filled out with each submission (possibly thousands of forms )?

I assume the individual librarians have to screen them before they add it to their shelves.

For submission, does each individual library have different rules or are they universal? And is there any kind of form that has to be filled out with each submission (possibly thousands of forms )?
    if there are thousands of forms, we will help you fill them out.

There is a ton in information in the ALA FAQ's.

I totally have to get some housework done, or my older son will be wearing dirty jeans to school tomorrow. (I suppose I could just toss them in with some Bounce? No wait!!!)

Maybe one of ya'll can peruse it while I wait for my phone to ring.

ALA Mail List Rental
    Available lists
    ALA offers Membership Lists (PDF, 12 KB) that include Personal and Organizational Members active in special interest Divisions, Sections and Round Tables. ALA Membership lists also include foreign and Canadian addresses.

Rental of ALA membership lists
    The American Library Association grants permission to outside organizations, institutions, or individuals, to use its membership lists. Such permission is for rental only. The lists are not sold, and they may not be duplicated.

Ordering information
    Requests should be made in writing and can be mailed or faxed in, accompanied by a sample or facsimile of the piece to be mailed.

ALA reserves the right to examine the mailing piece, and to refuse the use of the lists if the usage seems, for any reason, to be undesirable.

Names and addresses are available in the following formats:

Avery Laser Labels (2-up, peel-off)
    E-mail “attachment”
    Lists are run in Zip Code sequence. Specific states may be requested and membership lists can be merged and purged.

All orders are shipped via United Parcel Service, 3-day select, unless otherwise requested. Shipping charges will be added to all orders.

All work is normally completed within 10 working days after receipt of order.

We do not provide email addresses or telephone numbers and offer no broker(s) commission or discounts.

View our disclaimer. (PDF, 7 KB)

Prices

$142/1,000 for names and addresses on a standard disk or sent as an email “attachment”
    $200/1,000 for names and addresses on Avery laser labels (2-up, peel-off)
    15% discount for ALA Corporate Members
    20% discount for second set run at the same time
    Minimum charge
    $142 – Email “attachment”
    $200 – Avery laser (peel-off) labels 2up
    $50 – keycoding (up to 8 characters)
    No charge for merging lists
    How to order
    Fax or mail a sample of the mailing piece for approval, along with your order form (PDF, 9 KB), to:

Maribeth Chapman – Mailing Lists
    American Library Association
    50 East Huron Street
    Chicago, IL 60611-2195
    Telephone: (312) 280-2460
    Fax: (312) 280-2438
    E-mail: mchapman@ala.org

One thing to point out to the orgs is RP was opposed to the Patriot Act, which the libraries absolutely hate.

I just went to the VT libraries webpage. Every state must have something like this. PDF files for library directories are available free for download. This is the page you find them in VT: http://libraries.vermont.gov/libraries/dir

No sense paying for free information.

This seems to be a good one too. You can sort by state and then it breaks it down into public libraries, academic ones, etc.
    http://www.librarysites.info/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    I just went to the VT libraries webpage. Every state must have something like this. PDF files for library directories are available free for download. This is the page you find them in VT: http://libraries.vermont.gov/libraries/dir

No sense paying for free information.
    I'd be more interested in paying for pre-printed mailing labels than I am a mailing list, that's for sure. (Of course, I still carry emotional scars from trying to make labels work properly before the templates were perfected.)

I wonder how inclusive their membership is though? $200 for 75% of America's libraries vs $200 for 10% of America's libraries is substantial.

ETA: Does it include university libraries?

I wonder - should we should all be calling our city/county/state library systems to see what a random sampling of the procurement procedures look like?

LLS, you're a natural born organizer. What do you think?

I'd be more interested in paying for pre-printed mailing labels than I am a mailing list, that's for sure. (Of course, I still carry emotional scars from trying to make labels work properly before the templates were perfected.)

I wonder how inclusive their membership is though? $200 for 75% of America's libraries vs $200 for 10% of America's libraries is substantial.

ETA: Does it include university libraries?

I wonder - should we should all be calling our city/county/state library systems to see what a random sampling of the procurement procedures look like?

LLS, you're a natural born organizer. What do you think?
    Awww... thanks

I think we should start with calling the state library system offices and find out what it takes to get a video in. I imagine all of the public libraries have the same type of protocol. Then there are the school and university libraries which we can work on next.

got a cousin doing IT in the library of congress. let me know if he can do anything!

will be in california for three weeks in december. would love to distribute books to the liberals in the bay area!!!

teach

I suggested them and another library association.
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

Looks like LLS is on the right track. Here's what the ALA sent me:

<http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/hqop..._publications/
    booklist/insidebooklist/insidebooklist.cfm> web page for submissions
    information.

Library Journal reviews books with the potential to interest a broad
    spectrum of libraries as well as graphic novels, magazines, zines,
    audio, video, and online databases. See the Library Journal Titles for
    Review <http://www.libraryjournal.com/info/CA6415258.html> for
    additional details and mailing addresses.

School Library Journal reviews new children's and young adult general
    trade books and original paperbacks from established publishers. In
    order to be considered for review in SLJ's pages, books must be of
    national interest and be readily available from national distributors at
    an institutional discount. Also reviewed are videos, audio recordings
    (cassettes and CDs), reference CD-ROMs and online resources. See the
    School Library Journal Submitting Review Materials
    <http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/info/CA444296.html> for additional
    details and mailing addresses.

Video Librarian (Video Librarian, 8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW, Seabeck, WA
    98380; e-mail vidlib@videolibrarian.com) reviews for public, school,
    university, and special libraries theatrical and non-theatrical
    videos/DVDs new to the marketplace. See How to Submit Titles for Review
    in Video Librarian or Video Librarian Online
    <http://www.videolibrarian.com/about/submission.html> for further
    assistance.

and also

ALA Library Fact Sheet 3
    Lists of Libraries
    http://www.ala.org/library/fact3.html
    Lists companies which sell mailing lists and mailing labels of
    libraries, includes link to ALA Mail List Rental
    <http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/cont...list_rental/in
    dex.cfm>

You might also want to contact video distributors directly to see if
    they would be interested in providing your video to libraries. For a
    list of them, please see another document compiled by this office:

Fact Sheet 9
    Library Products, Services and Consultants
    http://www.ala.org/library/fact9.html
    Lists online and print resources which compile names of library vendors

Feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns. Thank you
    for calling the American Library Association.

(name and email omitted intentionally)

Libraries to Target

Hi Folks:

I can fund this within reason. I have been told each DVD costs about $1.00 to print and package. Mailing will add to that.

I just checked the ALA site.

Turns out there are 123,000 libraries in the US is you count every branch, public and private school library. (I cannot do that)

http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offi...factsheet1.cfm

I am thinking we do all public libraries, just central (not all branches). That is about 9,214.

Then I am thinking we do all College libraries above four year. That is another 2,283.

Then I am thinking we do the Poli Sci departments of the top 1,000 universities.

That would bring the total replication cost to $15K or so, and if we can get bulk mailing rates at bit more to mail it.

I am good for that amount.

I have no time to do the logistics, mailling etc.

I need to focus on gold and precious metals stocks so that I can continue to fund these projects. heh, heh

L

Query: Is this the best way to spend this money. I am all for it. I just know that we have a lot of smart people out there. Maybe someone has a better idea. In some cases the DVD will go to the library and collect dust. Is there another list we should mail to? How do we get max viewings and exposure. I am ALL EARS.

L

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast