Thread: Cold winter for most

Wink Cold winter for most

I picked this up on another board. Farmers Almanac showing a cold winter coming up. Hard for me to believe that here in 104 degree heat.

http://www.grit.com/daily-commute/Fa...-Forecast.aspx

Of course, they put the book right over CA and AZ. I wonder if they mean cold for AZ?

I thought some might like to prepare. Their track record is pretty good. We need an icon with ear muffs.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, from what I recall from late 70's to mid 80's, if that weather returns to southwestern Kansas, it's going to be hell. For the past few years we have seen winter temps from 60's to 70's during the day and 20's to 30's at night, sometimes it would be less such as two or three years ago we had a major ice storm that destroyed 17000 electrical poles and imploded several large towers.

The past norm was 30's to 20's during the day and teens and single digits during the nights, and even less. As well as we haven't had a major snow storm since the early 80's, the last truly bad storm was either 80 or 79, perhaps even 78, but I was less than 10 when that happened.

Either way, if it returns to normal we are in for a hard bloody winter.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. -- BF

You are going to find out shoveling snow is great fun. Five minutes in, and you are saying I am moving and never coming back. If you have a snow blower, it will take longer to come to that conclusion.

After all, it sounds like you got a break for all these years. Big Smile.

We got 150" of snow last winter over an average of around 115", so I'm not overly worried..

One good thing, natural gas is very cheap this year....

Zero inches of snow here. Smile. I would hire someone at this stage.

Just give them 10 more days and, they will find some way to jack up the price of natural gas.

It has been a nice summer in louisiana.
    we even had some 75degree highs in july.
    I was starting to worry about a possible coming ice age.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

What is Al Gore going to say now?

He will find some illogical way to explain it all away.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
    What is Al Gore going to say now?
    Global Cooling is also caused by carbon emissions

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    I've heard some "scientist" say that. I watched some show where they were saying global warming is causing global cooling and we need to stop it.

Nashville hardly had much of a summer at all. There were only a couple of weeks here when it got really warm which is unusual.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by MrNick View Post
    I've heard some "scientist" say that. I watched some show where they were saying global warming is causing global cooling and we need to stop it.
    Does that fall under the 'what goes up must come down' idea?

Quote Originally Posted by EgwaTlvdatsi View Post
    The past norm was 30's to 20's during the day and teens and single digits during the nights, and even less. As well as we haven't had a major snow storm since the early 80's, the last truly bad storm was either 80 or 79, perhaps even 78, but I was less than 10 when that happened.
    1979-1980. I remember it well. I never knew what showshoes were for until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Just give them 10 more days and, they will find some way to jack up the price of natural gas.
    That's what carbon tax is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Nashville hardly had much of a summer at all. There were only a couple of weeks here when it got really warm which is unusual.
    I just watched a Nova program last night explaining the massive earthquake potential in and around Nashville. Apparently, there was a major quake in the early 1800's in your neck of the woods, and another one is due. Certainly the government can help

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    This is actually more accurate than saying global warming is caused by CO2 emissions.

So far, no dice, down another 5% approaching 2.50 a therm, less than it was 15 years ago, dollar for dollar, not even taking into account inflation...

Pretty soon it'll make more sense just to burn it off at the wellhead...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    We got 150" of snow last winter over an average of around 115", so I'm not overly worried..

One good thing, natural gas is very cheap this year....
    Well, let's see what lame ass excuses are used for NAT GAS to increase in pricing this winter, AFTER record reserves discovered right here in the US. I here the industry is shutting rigs down to inflate the price.

200 Trillion Cubic Feet of Natural Gas Discovered (Northern Louisiana)
    http://caraellison.wordpress.com/2009/05....

1.3 Quadrillion, WOW

The Marcellus Shale Natural Gas Field Formation: 1.3 Quadrillion cubic feet of
    natural gas lie within the Marcellus Shale region

http://oilshalegas.com/marcellusshale.ht....

http://peakoil.com/current-events/gas-re....
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

We are in a deep solar minimum. It has been linked with cooler global temps.

http://www.ianchadwick.com/forum/blo...?showentry=587
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    ~Lao-tzu

"Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority, or if it is said to come from angels, or from Gods, or from an inspired source. Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart and mind and body and found it to be true."~ Buddha

Well, let's see what lame ass excuses are used for NAT GAS to increase in pricing this winter, AFTER record reserves discovered right here in the US. I here the industry is shutting rigs down to inflate the price.
    There certainly won't be any new wells drilled, not at this price. That's capitalism at work...
    For existing well's, if the cost of extraction is more than the market price, I can't blame them for shutting down.. If on the other hand the wells are still profitable but are being shut down in an act of collusion to raise margins elsewhere... well, that is an anti-trust issue...

off 23% in the last 6 days, amazing
    Last edited by Dforkus; 09-03-2009 at 10:23 AM.

CO2 has a relatively minor effect on global temperatures, something like 1 /10000th the influence of water in the atmosphere, which varies more in a month than CO2 has in the last thousand years.

And Hollywood: Your links appear to be broken. I was able to read the first one about the Marcellous Shale, but not the other one. The first link looks like the most interesting.

I just watched a Nova program last night explaining the massive earthquake potential in and around Nashville. Apparently, there was a major quake in the early 1800's in your neck of the woods, and another one is due. Certainly the government can help
    I think you mean Memphis and the New Madrid Fault.

"A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Thumbs down

Certainly the government can help
    Good idea. I'll submit my information to FEMA so that in case of an emergency they will know where to find me! After all I don't know what we'd do if the government wasn't there to provide us assistance in catastrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNick View Post
    Of course. It makes perfect sense. If we don't stop the global cooling, we'll never see the global warming that they've been warning about!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been preparing for a harsh, cold winter with insulation, insulated drapes, sealing things up, stocking up on firewood and looking into some alternative heating methods. I came across Passive Solar Heaters for existing windows and am intrigued, but all my South-facing windows are crank-style and wouldn't work, but for people who do have South-facing slide windows, you might be interested in this:

http://www.backpackfever.com/2008/07...isting-window/

I still may try it with some of the windows on the West side of the house. If anyone has tried this or does try it, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I came across Passive Solar Heaters for existing windows and am intrigued...
    Interesting widget. I find that just opening the drapes/blinds/etc. on south windows is a major, major help in the winter. But then, my 1920-vintage home has south windows aplenty--enough to rival a greenhouse.

If you get these things, you'll probably need to drill for pegs or something as your regular window locks may not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

I got tied up on appointments today. You guys are a hoot. I did laugh.

We had a blazin' cold winter last year and a mild summer here in IL. It seriously hasn't been over 80 degrees since June and at night it's been dropping to the low 60s. I wouldn't be surprised if we had another nasty winter.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Interesting widget. I find that just opening the drapes/blinds/etc. on south windows is a major, major help in the winter. But then, my 1920-vintage home has south windows aplenty--enough to rival a greenhouse.

If you get these things, you'll probably need to drill for pegs or something as your regular window locks may not work.
    You're right, the regular window locks will very likely not work. I envisioned a simple pole or board cut to length that would only allow the window to be opened any further if you remove it from the inside. That'd probably be a decent solution for someone who might not want to drill into their window frame.