Thread: Pandemic Influenza Mass Fatality Response Plan

Pandemic Influenza Mass Fatality Response Plan

Yes, they've been planning this for a while. Check this out: http://www.azdhs.gov/pandemicflu/pdf...V4.0andApp.pdf

From the "Mission Statement" Sec 1.3
    Pandemic influenza mass fatalities will present unique logistical challenges with cold storage space, human remains pouches, PPE, and related mortuary affairs supplies.
    FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY 3
    06/22/2007 OFFICIAL USE ONLY Version 4.0

• Stacking or piling of remains can cause unnatural bruising, discoloration and disfiguring of the remains and also slows down the cooling process, thereby increasing decomposition. Accordingly, the ability to quickly secure long-term refrigerated storage will enable medical examiners time to identify, process, and “hold” remains until final disposition.

• Basic to a mass fatality response will be the identification and selection of a number of Casualty Collection Points (CCP), using a combination of refrigerated trucks, portable preparation and storage sites (generally tents), the use of existing facilities such as vacant or unused National Guard/Reserve facilities, Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facilities, and/or abandoned or under utilized and convenient community structures. Collection sites will present significant challenges regarding access, traffic control, security, access to power, loading docks, air quality (related to diesel engines), and processes to handle the waste, effluent, and or contamination.
    From Sec 1.4
    Disaster Portable Morgue Units (DPMU)
    In support of the DMORT program, FEMA maintains two Disaster Portable Morgue Units (DPMUs) at FEMA Logistics Centers; one in Rockville, MD, and the other in San Jose, CA. The DPMU contains a complete morgue with designated workstations for each processing element and prepackaged equipment and supplies. The DPMU core team travels with this equipment to assist in the set up, operation, packing and restocking of all DPMU equipment.

• The DPMU requires a location that is completely secure and convenient to the incident scene with easy access for vehicles.

• The DPMU requires 8,000 square feet of operating area with ventilation, hot and cold water, adequate drainage, nonporous floors, some office space, rest and refreshment areas, and restrooms.

• Other support equipment required for mass fatality management operations includes refrigerated trucks, forklifts, fuel (diesel, propane etc.), and communications with the incident command post.
    The Family Assistance Act of 1996 created the Family Affairs Division within the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), whose responsibility is to assist the local authorities in the coordination of victim identification and family assistance for major transportation accidents. The NTSB has agreements with FEMA and other national entities to assist them in fulfilling their duties under this law. An agreement between the NTSB and USPHS gives the NTSB the ability to request DMORT support for all transportation accidents involving multiple deaths.
    From Sec 2.0
    2.0 SITUATION
    Most public health and healthcare agencies have limited experience dealing with mass fatalities and likewise most Medical Examiners normally do not have experience with mass fatality events. Communities in Arizona are unaware of what is necessary in planning for the large numbers of fatalities generated during a pandemic. Two pandemic waves of six weeks each, using a five percent crude annual, all cause death rates (similar to the influenza pandemic of 1918), and will produce about 10,000 deaths per week per wave in Arizona. This is more than 10 times the usual rate of about 900 non pandemic influenza deaths per week in the State of Arizona. This mortality rate will overwhelm the local mortuary affairs system in one or two weeks, especially if the counties have not prepared for the event.

Every community must develop a system of response to deal with mass fatality management at the local level. The State normally draws from resources within the state, however, during a pandemic all counties within the state will be affected and will be unable to assist other areas. Similar to the State, the Federal Government draws on resources from other states to assist a state during a time of crisis. The influenza pandemic will affect all states at the same time and any Federal help will be extremely limited. The Department of Defense will also be stricken and most likely will not be able to provide much relief.
    From Sec 3.8
    3.8. SUPPLY MANAGEMENT
    Counties should recommend to funeral directors that they not order excessive amounts of supplies such as embalming fluids, human remains pouches, etc., but that they have enough on hand in a rotating inventory to handle the first wave of the pandemic (that is enough for six months of normal operation). Fluids can be stored for years, but human remains pouches and other supplies may have a limited shelf life. Cremations generally require fewer supplies since embalming is not required.

FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY 18
    06/22/2007 OFFICIAL USE ONLY Version 4.0

Families having multiple deaths are unlikely to be able to afford multiple higher-end products or arrangements. Funeral homes could quickly exhaust lower-cost items (e.g. inexpensive caskets) and should be prepared to provide alternatives. The OCME should be notified for approval if alternates are used (e.g. instead of approved caskets).
    I'm effectively creeped out. Is there a way to find this info for other states?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was arguing with an obama supporter the other day about the language in the MA bill that gives the local public health authority, "authority: (1) to vaccinate ... individuals as protection against communicable disease"

He said that it just gives them the authority to vaccinate individuals who want to be vaccinated, it doesn't give them authority to vaccinate everybody.

Obviously the law can be read both ways.. any comments?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What creeps me out is that it isn't the freaking bubonic plague. It's the flu.

LLS, this might interest you. This isn't a shameless link to a blog post - I promise. You can skip the post and go straight to the comments, which contain some statistics that a co-blogger, a MD, supplied in response to an off-the-cuff remark I made in the post.

Does it really sound like they'll be running out of room to stack the bodies? Because it doesn't to me.

http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/...wetters-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I was arguing with an obama supporter the other day about the language in the MA bill that gives the local public health authority, "authority: (1) to vaccinate ... individuals as protection against communicable disease"

He said that it just gives them the authority to vaccinate individuals who want to be vaccinated, it doesn't give them authority to vaccinate everybody.

Obviously the law can be read both ways.. any comments?
    Why would they need a law to provide vaccines to people who willingly agreed to be vaccinated?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    What creeps me out is that it isn't the freaking bubonic plague. It's the flu.

LLS, this might interest you. This isn't a shameless link to a blog post - I promise. You can skip the post and go straight to the comments, which contain some statistics that a co-blogger, a MD, supplied in response to an off-the-cuff remark I made in the post.

Does it really sound like they'll be running out of room to stack the bodies? Because it doesn't to me.

http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/...wetters-1.html
    I can't even process the math in that comment right now. I'm ready to put my own quarantine plan in place.

Why would they need a law to provide vaccines to people who willingly agreed to be vaccinated?
    Exactly!

Well a private company should be able to, but I guess the government needs to make laws to give itself authority to do stuff

I dunno, my concern is that the language CAN be interpreted to mean forced vaccinations, so obviously it COULD be interpreted that way, thus it is dangerous..

I guess the question would be, do they already have the authority to give vaccines to those who want them? If they already have the authority, then they wouldn't need this law and that would be a good argument.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What I find interesting is that approximately 200,000 peeps die in the US each year from in hospital errors; although you never see media coverage of that fact. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...al_errors.html
    Approximately 100,000 peeps die from hospital acquired infections. Our government does nothing about that.... but projection 30,000 to 90,000 could die from H1N1 and they want to force shots on us and/or quarantines in those very safe hospitals.... Our odds much better surviving the flu then surviving a hospital stay.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    Bump for Wal Mart caskets.
    Made in China.
    "Molon Labe"

America's leading cause of death is the health care system no doubt at all about that one.

I'm not "freaked out" , I am aware.
    This topic was discussed here before. and elsewhere.
    There is much info collected and in this thread,
    http://neithercorp.us/nforum/current...te-t879.0.html

Yes they have plans.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    ~Thomas Jefferson