Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Escapism: Your Favorite Television Shows

Escapism: Your Favorite Television Shows

I just finished watching the latest episode of True Blood, and I guess I should be ashamed of myself for enjoying such superficialities from time to time, but I'm really not. It's like a Vampire soap opera in a sense, set in rural Louisiana, very sexy, rather violent at times, but it's really well done.

There's a few other current shows that I like, and I was just curious as to what other people find interesting. I indulge myself with the following shows:

True Blood
    Weeds
    Breaking Bad

That's about it. Anyone else?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Trailer Park Boys, lol

Weeds definitely.

There's a pretty entertaining drinking show you can watch for free at hulu.com called "Three Sheets" where the host Zane Lamprey travels around the world and learns about different drinking cultures. He visits distilleries and breweries to learn how their varieties of alcohol differ from other places, and then he goes out drinking on the town and usually gets "Steve McKenna'd"

It can get corny at times, but always has some interesting tidbits and is fun to watch while putting away a couple drinks.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Favorite? Well right now my top 5 would probably be something like.

1. Band of Brothers
    2. Sopranos
    3. Nova Science Now
    4. King of the Hill
    5. Entourage

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

I go to JTV for TPB, early 60's sitcom, or MST 3000.

I enjoy Mr.Show with Bob and Dave, LOST, House, and The Office... and of course Arrested Development..

but thats pretty much it.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I enjoy Mr.Show with Bob and Dave, LOST, House, and The Office... and of course Arrested Development..

but thats pretty much it.
    Oh yea, lost is pretty good too. I kinda forgot about it between seasons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by olehounddog View Post
    MST 3000.
    My roommate just got the entire box set off woot recently for real cheap..

I think it's like 12 DVD's.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I don't watch much TV at all, but I've been chronically addicted to both Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation for a couple of months now. Even though there are morals, lessons, and serious themes explored, it's still great escapist entertainment!

Some great classics like MST 3K, Star Trek--I especially love Next Generation.

There's some others like Lost, Three Sheets or Entourage that I haven't checked out either that sound pretty interesting.

It just occurred to me that I'm watching one show about meth, another about marijuana and another about vampires--and that perhaps I needed to expand my escapist horizons a bit.

Isn't there supposed to be some new "survivalist" type show on this fall? I didn't catch the name, but I think it's on the regular networks.

The new episodes of Survivorman are in HD.. Pretty incredible if you have an HD setup.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Some great classics like MST 3K, Star Trek--I especially love Next Generation.

There's some others like Lost, Three Sheets or Entourage that I haven't checked out either that sound pretty interesting.

It just occurred to me that I'm watching one show about meth, another about marijuana and another about vampires--and that perhaps I needed to expand my escapist horizons a bit.

Isn't there supposed to be some new "survivalist" type show on this fall? I didn't catch the name, but I think it's on the regular networks.
    there is a show on discovery called "The Colony".. its about 10 people having to rebuild and survive after a major disaster.. looks pretty cool, I will probably catch the DVD..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Oh yeah, I've watched Survivorman, never heard of The Colony though, I'll check it out.

True Blood, Weeds, and HUNG are my shows currently.

Quote Originally Posted by JeNNiF00F00 View Post
    HUNG
    Hah, that is what I thought it was about afterall

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I used to watch whatever was on, but have not been for some time.
    I do play some WoW, when I'm not here.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I threw out the cable box, but no way I'm throwing out my entertainment center.

This could be an idea- i'l throw out mine and put it in youtube if you throw out yours.
    TV needs to die

House, Law and Order: SVU, Burn Notice, Sportscenter, Scrubs, anything on history/discovery/discovery health.

And I still love a good Seinfeld re-run. Best TV show ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post
    anything on history/discovery/discovery health
    Ooh, that reminds me!!! Have you seen any of those neat new astrophysics/space/cosmic catastrophe shows Discovery and History run, especially in the mid-morning hours (EST)? I've been watching a lot of them, and "That's Impossible" and "The Universe" have been keeping me glued to the tube lately.
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 08-25-2009 at 05:45 AM.

Arrested Development and Mr. Show are my all time faves, with a slight edge to Arrested Development.

Austin City Limits is a great show if you like good live music on your TV. It's especially nice in HD.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    ... LOST, House, and The Office...
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post

And I still love a good Seinfeld re-run. Best TV show ever made.
    All of the above plus Heroes and Survivor. I also really like Clean House on the Style Network (but only the episodes with Niecy, Mark, Matt and Trish).

And I do indulge in such fluff as American Idol and America's Got Talent.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've gotten to where commercials piss me off. I don't know--the brainwashing techniques? The irritating way they clamor for your attention? The lame, politically correct attempts at humor? Anyway, I pretty much stay clear away from commercial television unless I intend to man the remote vigorously. Wiring the toob through the stereo is handy that way; instead of the silence of mute I can have 'hold music'.

Anyway, I've been enjoying a cache of The Carol Burnett Show DVDs lately. And still love classic movies (why would anyone watch a crappy, lame, completely unfunny remake of The Ladykillers or The Italian Job when the originals are so easy to get--and so very, very, very much better? If they remade Casablanca or Dr. Strangelove, would you really be silly enough to waste your time being disappointed? Does lightning ever strike twice in the same place?).

Escapism on broadcast television? Hard to come by, imo, but I still like The Red Green Show. And it's educational, too!

Now, where'd I put that duct tape?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Hah, that is what I thought it was about afterall
    hahaha...its pretty good.

Of still running shows:
    Lost
    Simpsons
    Family Guy

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Breaking Bad
    That show is so depressing I swear I'd kill myself if I had to watch it. It's a good show, just too dark for me. My husband watches it.

I watch Law & Order (the original), Fringe, 24, In Plain Sight, Dr. Who.

(Dammit-won't somebody watch the 5 episode Torchwood so I'll have somebody to OHHH and AHHH with???)

I'm watching "America's Got Talent" tonight because my friend is competing.

(Everybody should watch and vote for Tony & Rory, because he's my friend! Dammit, I'd do it for you!)
    Last edited by angelatc; 08-25-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Curb Your Enthusiasm!

This season in the show Larry David is bringing back the cast of Seinfeld to try and make a reunion show. Should be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    Curb Your Enthusiasm!

This season in the show Larry David is bringing back the cast of Seinfeld to try and make a reunion show. Should be awesome!
    Oh hell yea!

I can't wait for that new season.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast