Thread: Zimbabwe considering gold-backed currency

Zimbabwe considering gold-backed currency

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/...7809&sn=Detail

Zimbabwe considering gold-backed currency - Gono
    The country is looking for an alternative to its hyperinflation-ravaged Zimbabwean dollar that was replaced by multiple currencies in January
    Author: Nelson Banya (Reuters)
    Posted: Thursday , 20 Aug 2009
    HARARE (REUTERS) -
    Zimbabwe's central bank governor Gideon Gono on Thursday proposed the introduction of a gold-backed local currency, which was destroyed by hyperinflation and replaced by multiple foreign currencies in January.
    A unity government formed by rivals President Robert Mugabe and Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai in a bid to end a political crisis introduced multiple foreign currencies to stop sky-rocketing inflation and revive the economy.
    But Gono, a Mugabe ally whose reappointment last year has been opposed by Tsvangirai, says the shortage of foreign currencies in the country was hurting economic recovery efforts.
    In an article he wrote in the state-controlled Herald newspaper, Gono urged the re-introduction of the Zimbabwe dollar to ease the liquidity crunch, but said this was not a call for "a blind return to the money printing press".
    "Rather, what I am calling for is the guarded reintroduction of the Zimbabwe dollar where such a new currency will be fully backed by credible, tangible and locally available assets, such as gold, diamonds or platinum, among several other possibilities," Gono said.
    Zimbabwe's inflation has tumbled from an official annual rate of 231m % in July 2008 -- which independent analysts say was understated -- to a monthly rate of 1% in July 2009 following the decision to abandon the local currency.
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd like to see it happen. Set the example, Zimbabwe.

I fear that their government,as corrupt as it is, will simply run the printing presses, even while claiming that it is backed by gold. As such, the world will hold them up as an example of how gold standards destroy economies...

Pray it works.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    I fear that their government,as corrupt as it is, will simply run the printing presses, even while claiming that it is backed by gold. As such, the world will hold them up as an example of how gold standards destroy economies...

Pray it works.
    Yeah, I can also see this happening. However, can you imagine if they did go on a gold currency and started prospering. What a story that would be.

They're going to have to do it right. This means no fraud by way of paper guarantees, and also accepting of other metals like silver and palladium. Multiple commodities and making them interchangeable will make a big difference.

Betting on Mugabe not conducting an economy fraudulently is like betting on 0 on the roulette table. That money won't actually be backed by gold.

It would be amazing to see a turnaround. I'll admit I am cheering for Zimbabwe, because the world bank, and the British financial system in particular, is doing all it can to punish them for breaking the shackles they had on them.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post

Pray it works.
    There is no way I am trusting Mugabe paper.

yeah, they'd have to get the Swiss or someone to manage their holdings against the currency, if something like that is even possible.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anything is possible, for a price.

Certainly, if they outsourced their currency to a responsible bank, they might have a chance.

How about they just issue gold/silver/copper coins.

Arklatex

Quote Originally Posted by stag15 View Post
    They won't do that because that would mean they are serious.

That is the only honest way to have money.

this will fail, an be used as an example of why gold standard does not work
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
    Woody Allen

If they don't circulate actual gold silver or copper coins no one is going to believe the currency is backed by the metal. This seems to be the consensus of everyone here.

real honest coinage ftw -- that would be so cool to see happen.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

This was my response.
    I smell fraud.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    * super necro bump *

Narrarator: They did it. They finally did it.

Zimbabwe had a contentious election where the incumbent President Emmerson Mnangagwa was re-elected (so says the incumbent adminisrtation). Anyway, it looks like he's going to wear the crown a bit longer. He's retained the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Governor Dr. John Mangudya who is expanding their unpegged legal tender gold program into the digital banking world:

Zimbabwe Gold (ZiG), the digital tokens backed by gold, has gained approval as a legitimate means of payment for domestic transactions, effective immediately. Transactions involving ZiG will be processed through the ZimSwitch and RTGS systems, similar to how transactions in Zimbabwean dollars and US dollars are handled, with the availability of swipe machines.

Each ZiG unit represents 1 milligram of gold, with a current value of $377.77 or 6.14 US cents. These tokens are supported by physical gold bars held by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ). To ensure that the total number of ZiGs issued by the RBZ corresponds to the amount of physical gold in its vault, external auditors will conduct audits of these holdings.

ZiGs have previously been available as an investment or store of value. However, with the recent approval, if both the buyer and seller have ZiG bank accounts and agree to use these tokens for payment, they can use them for transactions.

According to Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Governor Dr. John Mangudya, the value of ZiG will be aligned with the value of the physical Mosi-a-Tunya gold coin and will fluctuate with changes in the international gold price since it is backed by gold reserves held by the RBZ.

The Monetary Policy Committee of the RBZ approved the use of ZiGs for domestic transactions, in addition to their value preservation function.

Banks will maintain dedicated ZiG accounts and process transactions in ZiG similarly to local and foreign currency transactions. The intermediated money transfer tax (IMTT) for ZiG transactions will be half of the IMTT for foreign currency transactions, with relevant legal instruments to be published accordingly.
    ZiG accounts will operate alongside nostro and local currency accounts in financial institutions, maintaining milligram units and conducting transactions in the same units. The RBZ has stated that there will be no account maintenance tariffs or charges for ZiG accounts.

Financial institutions are required to price ZiG transactions fairly and responsibly for the benefit of the public, with transaction pricing being the fee charged by a bank to facilitate the transfer.

Banks are not permitted to lend ZiGs or pay interest on holdings, as the RBZ is the sole issuing bank. Changes in the amount of ZiGs in circulation will only occur through issuance or redemption by the RBZ.
    https://bulawayo24.com/news/national/236228

The central bank highlighted the key points to note when transacting with ZiG which are as follows:

1. As a bank customer you approach your bank to buy ZiG tokens (denominated in milligrams) payable in ZW$ or US$.

2. Minimum purchase of ZiG by individuals is US$10 and corporates is US$5 000 or the Zimbabwean Dollar equivalent.

3. Once ZiG has been purchased, the holder will, in addition to their existing bank account, now have a ZiG account denominated in milligrams of gold.

4. The bank client can now transact using their ZiG account through swipe and online payments.

5. A holder can keep ZiG balances for transacting or store-of-value purposes with a redemption option in US$ or ZW$ depending on their preference after a 180-day vesting period.

6. Goods and services will also be priced in ZiG.
    https://www.thezimbabwemail.com/bank...ment-currency/

So it sounds like this isn't exactly a crypto token - individuals aren't in control of a crypto wallet. The banks are the wallet holders and individuals have ZiG denominated bank accounts. Transactions are effected by requests to the bank just like with currency account (when you issue a check or use a credit card).

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Transactions are effected by requests to the bank just like with currency account (when you issue a check or use a credit card).
    Or more precisely, a debit card.

The concept is outstanding. But Zimbabwe isn't exactly a name that inspires confidence in the bank.

But one wonders where else in the world a bank could operate such a service without interference.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    ... Zimbabwe isn't exactly a name that inspires confidence in the bank. ...
    Absolutely. I suspect that is why their experiment with the legal tender Mosi-a-Tunya gold coin has largely flown under the news radar. They are implementing a limited form of Ron Paul's old Competing Currencies bill allowing gold to compete with USD and their own currency. It's really a remarkable thing to see. There are so many ways this experiment will fizzle into a huge nothingburger (graft, corruption, too low adoption because people are poor, etc.), but if it takes off...

Zimbabwe had a contentious election where the incumbent President Emmerson Mnangagwa was re-elected (so says the incumbent adminisrtation). Anyway, it looks like he's going to wear the crown a bit longer. He's retained the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Governor Dr. John Mangudya who is expanding their unpegged legal tender gold program into the digital banking world:

https://bulawayo24.com/news/national/236228

https://www.thezimbabwemail.com/bank...ment-currency/

So it sounds like this isn't exactly a crypto token - individuals aren't in control of a crypto wallet. The banks are the wallet holders and individuals have ZiG denominated bank accounts. Transactions are effected by requests to the bank just like with currency account (when you issue a check or use a credit card).
    Gee, idk, perhaps my recollection of past posts is wrong but I recall posting something to this effect many moons ago and you poo-poo'ed it. Gold-backing? Ha, fantasy, won't happen.........or something to that effect. A thread about Canadian Appeals Court rulings. maybe. Not calling you out, per se, just a memory.
    Last edited by devil21; 10-11-2023 at 01:42 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Gee, idk, perhaps my recollection of past posts is wrong but I recall posting something to this effect many moons ago and you poo-poo'ed it. Gold-backing? Ha, fantasy, won't happen.........or something to that effect. A thread about Canadian Appeals Court rulings. maybe. Not calling you out, per se, just a memory.
    I have zero recollection of participating in any discussion on Canadian Appeals Court rulings. I also have zero recollection of ever poo pooing efforts to make gold legal tender. I think you are confused.

Also, this isn't "gold backing". Zimbabwe isn't backing the local Zimbabwe currency with gold. They made gold itself a competing legal tender to their own currency (free floating - no value peg).

I've been watching the Zimbabwe story for a good long while now:

https://www.pmbug.com/threads/zimbab...l-tender.4966/

GOVERNMENT has gazetted Statutory Instrument (S.I.) 218 of 2023, which effectively extends the use of the multiple currency system to December 2030 — putting to rest the anxiety by businesses and potential investors over the currency debate.

Initially, the Treasury had stated that the prevailing dual currency model in which the local dollar is used alongside a basket of currencies would end in 2025 with a full return to the Zimbabwean dollar.
    The extension of the multi-currency system essentially assures financial institutions and guarantees them leeway to provide long-term loans, which are critical for business growth.

This means up to 2030, registered lenders, banks, or any financial institution that lends foreign currency would receive repayment of the loan or credit in that foreign currency.

While the Government and business leaders agree on the inflation-stabilising effect of multiple currency system, there is a clear consensus on the need to mainstream the use of the local currency in the long term given the need to promote effective domestic monetary policing, which buttressing production efficiencies with a focus on export competitiveness.
    “The work of a dignified, fungible and stable local currency still remains to be mapped out carefully and effectively,” United Refineries Limited chief executive officer, Mr Busisa Moyo, commented.
    “Evidence-based research has confirmed that multiple currencies shall at best save our country very well for now while building the value of our currency until such a time it can be a world-class currency of national pride and value among our business and citizens.

“This effort is indeed being done through Central Bank digital products such as gold coin and gold back digital tokens, now called ZIG.”
    https://www.newsdzezimbabwe.co.uk/20...system-to.html

The ZiG got a public endorsement from what appears to be a prominent industry group:
    THE Confederation of Zimbabwe Industries (CZI) is optimistic the recently introduced Zimbabwe Gold (ZiG) currency will go a long way in easing excessive demand for the US$ in the economy.
    More:

https://www.newzimbabwe.com/czi-conf...ive-us-demand/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Zimbabwe has announced the replacement of the Zimbabwe dollar (ZW) with a new gold standard currency (ZiG) backed by a basket of gold and USD. They are renaming the existing ZiG digital gold token as GBDT (gold backed digital token).

https://www.pmbug.com/threads/zimbab...966/post-98582

Zimbabwe has announced the replacement of the Zimbabwe dollar (ZW) with a new gold standard currency (ZiG) backed by a basket of gold and USD. They are renaming the existing ZiG digital gold token as GBDT (gold backed digital token).

https://www.pmbug.com/threads/zimbab...966/post-98582
    I'll leave this here:
    https://unlimitedhangout.com/2024/02...nalized-world/

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

BlackRock’s manipulative tactics also apply to its overtures in ESG investing and carbon markets, both of which have long been championed by Fink until anti-ESG sentiment pushed him to soften his public stance. Despite Fink’s decision to avoid using the term ESG, he and BlackRock remain committed to “climate finance” and “green finance,” not because of an environmental benefits it may produce, but because of the new markets and asset classes it seeks to create.
    Of course. This desire was the origins of the climate change cult, ever since Goldman Sachs and Enron first dreamed of commoditizing carbon credits.

The climate cult are useful idiots for Blackrock and friends.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I'll leave this here:
    I'm not sure why? It has nothing to do with what is happening in Zimbabwe.

I'm not sure why? It has nothing to do with what is happening in Zimbabwe.
    Haha really? Tokenization of commodities (even real money in this case) by Blackrock is irrelevant to gold backed digital currency testbedding in Zimbabwe???????

Btw, I've seen the token called the (invader) Zim. Not sure where Zig comes from.

Fink, in a previous mentioned interview with CNBC stated: “I think we’re going to create digital currencies, we’re going to use technology for it. We’re going to use a blockchain.” Allaire went on to further push stablecoins’ importance as “the critical element that underpin[s] this new internet financial system,” making a prediction that “Trillions of dollars of real economic activity could take place on the internet financial system in the next few years.”
    Last edited by devil21; 04-16-2024 at 01:50 AM.

Zim is the name of the old Zimbabwe dollar.

ZiG = "Zimbabwe Gold". It was originally the name of Zimbabwe's digital gold token when they rolled it out last year. With the recent currency change, they renamed the digital token to be "Gold Back Digital Token" or GBDT so they could name the new currency the ZiG (still short for "Zimbabwe Gold") instead of Zim.

Tokenization of assets has been a growth vector in the crypto space for several years. Blackrock is a newcomer to the industry. They are not leading innovation in the space - they are just using their 800lb gorilla size to capture as much of the market as they can. Blackrock had nothing to do with Zimbabwe's token. Zimbabwe's token was developed before Blackrock jumped into the game.