Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An easy way to try linux while using windows- Wubi

Quote Originally Posted by coyote_sprit View Post
    So malicious programs can't access your core OS without your prior consent.
    That doesn't explain why they lock me out of my own admin account.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    That doesn't explain why they lock me out of my own admin account.
    It's quite easy to work around if you want but it's also easy to open a can of worms.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yeah, i researched enabling it. but it doesn't work with 9.04.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Try that... Still don't recommend it though.
    Viruses a problem with Linux?

Viruses a problem with Linux?
    No but if someone gets remote access to your PC they can do all that was humanly possible.

No but if someone gets remote access to your PC they can do all that was humanly possible.
    my cisco router is there for a reason.
    I can't even remote desktop without setting up my router.

my cisco router is there for a reason.
    I can't even remote desktop without setting up my router.
    Enable root if you want, I'm just a very paranoid person when it comes to this type of thing.

Enable root if you want, I'm just a very paranoid person when it comes to this type of thing.
    I've been running windows as admin for all my life.
    Linux is a bit more secure... so I'm not as worried.

I've been running windows as admin for all my life.
    Linux is a bit more secure... so I'm not as worried.
    Have you tried that fix for the nvidia drivers yet?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have you tried that fix for the nvidia drivers yet?
    not yet. i'm drinking screw drivers, so i was going to wait until I was sober.
    Maybe by thursday I'll be ready to try it.

well ive got to play with this for a couple hours

it seems very slow it bogs down ALOT when i watch vids on youtube the vid gets REAL choppy and skips and the video will stop while the audio keeps going and it wont let me forward or rewing it even though it got a fully loaded red bar

other than that i like it

ill have to screw with it and see if i can get it goin smoother
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I have Ubuntu on my laptop and mini laptop. Everything runs a lot faster. If you don't have a lot of hardware and want a way to boost your system performance, this is one of the easiest ways to do it.
    if i can get things workin right i want to do this for my moms comp do you use a particulary small version of ubuntu or are they all a similar size
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Just a thought,
    I an not really sure how this is set up, (I use a different linux) But it mat be too small of a tmp, var file or swap. I have my own partitioning set-up that works for me.
    It says that it runs in a 5 gig "file" or virtual disk. This may be why some does not run smoothly.
    I might have to play with this some, I haven't yet.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Just a thought,
    I an not really sure how this is set up, (I use a different linux) But it mat be too small of a tmp, var file or swap. I have my own partitioning set-up that works for me.
    It says that it runs in a 5 gig "file" or virtual disk. This may be why some does not run smoothly.
    I might have to play with this some, I haven't yet.
    you can set the size of your virtual disk. 5gig is the smallest size you can set.

So does it actually dual boot or does it use virtualization?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    So does it actually dual boot or does it use virtualization?
    it actually dual-boots, but it doesn't mess up your partitions. so it is not running inside of windows, it runs independent of windows, but installs and uninstalls from windows.
    it runs linux on ntfs.

you can set the size of your virtual disk. 5gig is the smallest size you can set.
    Yes, I understand that, but what I was wondering is, What kind of File System?
    ext2fs, ext3fs or a loop file system like the live CDs.
    Windows runs on FAT32 or NTFS. Linux doesn't as a rule.

Edit, Found it, It's loopmounted. That would explain video and sound problems.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-19-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Yes, I understand that, but what I was wondering is, What kind of File System?
    ext2fs, ext3fs or a loop file system like the live CDs.
    Windows runs on FAT32 or NTFS. Linux doesn't as a rule.

Edit, Found it, It's loopmounted. That would explain video and sound problems.
    I get my SB Audigy to work fine with it. It works from the start. Video works as long as I don't install the nvidia drivers.

If I can figure out how to install it as a clean install on my NVRaid (nforce4) Raid 0

I've been reading up on it, and some forums have a very lengthy and difficult work around, some say its easy to set up.
    They call the integrated NVRaid a "fakeraid"

If I can figure out how to install it as a clean install on my NVRaid (nforce4) Raid 0

I've been reading up on it, and some forums have a very lengthy and difficult work around, some say its easy to set up.
    They call the integrated NVRaid a "fakeraid"
    This may help,
    http://bbossola.wordpress.com/2008/0...sata-fakeraid/

You may need to install dmraid.
    http://linuxmanpages.com/man8/dmraid.8.php

Good luck, never messed with RAID myself.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I got it to install my raid by booting up on live cd-
    then going to terminal and typing dmraid -ay

problem is- the installation errors out right near the end- every time.
    i've tried both fedora 11 and ubuntu 9.04 amd64

does anyone know how to setup a network printer in Ubuntu?
    U need cups.org
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

OK, another question- anyone familiar with Xandros Presto?

??

??
    Not the Presto.
    I had played with the free Version of Xandros some time ago, Nice, user friendly system similar to Mandrake. Never tried the retail version.
    As I remember it had a great installer that automatically recognized windows and partitioned the disc for dual boot.
    It has been a while since I tried it, likely some improvements.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not gonna use a distro you have to pay for.

Not gonna use a distro you have to pay for.
    i'm going to try presto out, i'll let you know what i think.

I never used linux, does it play PC games ? Or just ones that are specifically made for linux?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    I never used linux, does it play PC games ? Or just ones that are specifically made for linux?
    There are some games(mainly FPSs) that were made to run natively on Linux and it also supports most emulators. Many other games can be run using the Wine compatibility layer and in some cases run faster on Linux(WoW was faster on Linux for me).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12