Thread: Consumer Mobility in a Free Market System

Consumer Mobility in a Free Market System

I've responded to many criticisms and shortcomings of our system, but I still don't have a good answer for this. If someone has an insurance policy, but wants to switch to a better one, they wouldn't be covered for pre-existing conditions. They'd be better off sticking with the insurance they have, even if they don't like it, because there's no way they'd be covered if they switched.

So if we had all the choice in the world for health insurance how can we actually take advantage of it?
    "My pride in my country is inversely proportional to Michelle Obama's pride in her country."
    - Me

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The only way to make it work is to force ensurers to insure everyone without regard to pre-existing medical conditions. I dont think that is TOO much interference in the market, and is certainly a considerably better solution than now.

While this creates some issues in regard to raising prices for those who have excellent health, I think overall it is still a workable solution, after all, they will still be able to charge higher prices based on lifestyle decisions,

One could also argue that allowing nationwide pools (rather than statewide) could spread the risk enough to allow more high-risk individuals to find insurance, but right off the bat that wouldn't happen.

If donations to nonprofit health organizations were 100% tax deductible that might make them better able to pick up the slack.
    "My pride in my country is inversely proportional to Michelle Obama's pride in her country."
    - Me