Thread: weird computer situation to watch out for hacker spyware adware of some sort

Exclamation weird computer situation to watch out for hacker spyware adware of some sort

my moms computer has been running slow (even for an old comp) and its been a while since i did a fresh install on it so...

i pulled the wifi adapter out and started saving her stuff the comp says it will take about an hour

about 20 min after i pull the plug to the net my mom answers a phone at the house here that is in my name not hers and asks for her by first and last name and says hes calling to help with her computer problem mentioning it was running slow

so she brings me the phone and i say who is this and he says hes calling to help with the computer problem so i ask who the do you work for and how the hell did you get my number he tells me to watch my language so i politely told him he called me on my phone so he better watch his $#@!in language or he can come down and ill run my 8 1/8 steeltoe up his ass till his teeth pop out

he then hung up

he was speaking broken english somethin that sounded middle eastern

i have dsl through verizon witch come through the same phone line that he called

luckily she took my warnings about not using that comp for anything that could result in identity theft seriously and its not gonna be a problem even if they had a keystoker or somethin on there

lesson for those who may not know

never accept unsolicited computer help from someone you arent 100% sure of

if you believe they are legit (wich is very very unlikely) tell them you will hang up with them and call the main office to get help and ask who they work for

if you dont know who that is or its a new program you arent 100% sure you trust its bogus and they are usiing your computer for some nefarious means if it is your internet provider or computer manufaturer or something you do use and trust 100% look up their number and call them directly to verify and solve the problem.

also if you get a call like this when you are hooked up to the internet pull the plug on it

it might seem like common sense to some of us but im sure there are a few members who are not as knowledgeable about this kinda thing
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ????

And this is exactly why we need a tech sub forum.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

That's some scary $#@! to know someone was/is monitoring your every keystroke. They probably have your IP address now, a list of which ports are vulnerable, and have the means to get back in, so you should probably request your ISP change your assigned IP address after a fresh OS install.

[sarcasm]

Pro-Active Tech Support?

[/sarcasm]

Wireless? Is it as secure as it should be?

Could be a neighbor, do you have caller id?

Which wireless router? There are known hacks for some...

SSID = "Ron Paul 2012" ?
    My Tribute To The MSM: "The Pusher"
    Beck's Audience: YouTube - Family Guy - Undecided Voters
    How to end ALL Taxation:
    (Walter Burien - CAFR) TaxRetirement.com
    Next Scam:
    "Cash For Cash"
    Regarding Romans 13:
    "Caesar Is Dead"
    How Corrupt Is Your Traitor? http://maplight.org/
    Exposing Government Travel Excesses: http://junketsleuth.com/
    Track The Bailouts: http://bailoutsleuth.com/