Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic food not more nutritious Study finds.

Organic food not more nutritious Study finds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32205139...and_nutrition/

Don't really have an opinion on this.

What do you guys think?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    lol yeah.. define organic..

because to be honest that means that something consists of carbon.. so ok..

besides that, we all know that once people demanded organic food, the definition became so loose, and the regulations were eviscerated..

but I think its safe to say that real organic food, with no pesticides or herbicides or chemical fertilizers, no genetic modifications.. are way better.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by almantimes2 View Post

What do you guys think?
    The article is a bit light on content. I'd say one would have to read the journal article it references to form any real opinion on the conclusions.

I will say that I and others I know have noticed that Whole foods has been running a lot of specials on common items such as canned goods. I'm assuming this is to help them compete during the economic downturn.

Edit: also, I must say i prefer my vegetables not to be covered in wax; but I don't think that is not allowed in order to be "organic"
    Last edited by specsaregood; 07-29-2009 at 09:41 PM.

It's not that organic is more nutritious it's that organic should mean no chemicals and no gmo.

MSM propaganda.
    For Liberty - Feature-length doc about the 2008 R3V | Twitter

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by UnReconstructed View Post
    It's not that organic is more nutritious it's that organic should mean no chemicals and no gmo.

Yea I am trying to do without the daily chemicals and GMOs in my food. I just don't want it in my body.

I'm mainly about whole ingredients. Some things with large amounts of pesticides I will buy Organic, like strawberries and Celery. Just whole ingredients and natural non-processed oils.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post

besides that, we all know that once people demanded organic food, the definition became so loose, and the regulations were eviscerated..

but I think its safe to say that real organic food, with no pesticides or herbicides or chemical fertilizers, no genetic modifications.. are way better.
    Exactly. REAL organic foods, grown bio-dynamically on small, privately owned farms are definitely better for you, AND don't cause the toxic burden on your system that conventionally grown foods will.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

In other words, there's a definite difference with organic foods, but they don't understand the human body well enough to determine what that means.

The real difference with organic food is that it doesn't contain as many toxins. The human body can metabolize and flush out quite a bit of toxins, but take in enough of them and the system gets jammed up and you're guaranteed to get some kind of disease, such as cancer. For anybody that doesn't think toxins are so bad for the body, consider this: terminal cancer patients very rarely die from the cancer itself, what actually kills them is toxic shock to one of their vital organs.

You are NOT "what you eat"... you are what doesn't come out.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post

Diamonds are entirely organic, and thus far I've found that they are not very nutritious.

They're kind of like really expensive, painful laxatives.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Diamonds are entirely organic, and thus far I've found that they are not very nutritious.

Point taken, but "organic food" actually doesn't refer to food being organic, but to the pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides used to grow the food being organic.

If you want something truly oxymoronic, see "organic mineral makeup".
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Only idiots thought it was. Then Hitler was big on organic farming too, must be a fascist thing.

Here's a link to the abstract, the full text costs money.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2009.28041v1

Am J Clin Nutr (July 29, 2009). doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.28041

Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review

Alan D Dangour, Sakhi K Dodhia, Arabella Hayter, Elizabeth Allen, Karen Lock and Ricardo Uauy

1 From the Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research Unit (ADD, SKD, AH, and RU) and the Medical Statistics Unit (EA), Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom, and the Health Services Research Unit, Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK (KL).

2 The funding organization had no role in the study design, data collection, analysis, interpretation, or writing of the report. The review team held 6 progress meetings with the funding organization.

3 Supported by the UK Food Standards Agency (PAU221).

4 Address correspondence to AD Dangour, Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom. E-mail: alan.dangour@lshtm.ac.uk.

ABSTRACT

Background: Despite growing consumer demand for organically produced foods, information based on a systematic review of their nutritional quality is lacking.

Objective: We sought to quantitatively assess the differences in reported nutrient content between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs.

Design: We systematically searched PubMed, Web of Science, and CAB Abstracts for a period of 50 y from 1 January 1958 to 29 February 2008, contacted subject experts, and hand-searched bibliographies. We included peer-reviewed articles with English abstracts in the analysis if they reported nutrient content comparisons between organic and conventional foodstuffs. Two reviewers extracted study characteristics, quality, and data. The analyses were restricted to the most commonly reported nutrients.

Results: From a total of 52,471 articles, we identified 162 studies (137 crops and 25 livestock products); 55 were of satisfactory quality. In an analysis that included only satisfactory quality studies, conventionally produced crops had a significantly higher content of nitrogen, and organically produced crops had a significantly higher content of phosphorus and higher titratable acidity. No evidence of a difference was detected for the remaining 8 of 11 crop nutrient categories analyzed. Analysis of the more limited database on livestock products found no evidence of a difference in nutrient content between organically and conventionally produced livestock products.

Conclusions: On the basis of a systematic review of studies of satisfactory quality, there is no evidence of a difference in nutrient quality between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs. The small differences in nutrient content detected are biologically plausible and mostly relate to differences in production methods.

Received for publication May 7, 2009. Accepted for publication July 2, 2009.

- - - - - - - -

Lets see, does anyone see a problem with reviewing articles starting in 1958 and ending in 2008?

Here's a hint:

October 21st, 2002 marked the date that the USDA Organic label hit the shelves. With 10 years in the making, the National Organic Standard has undergone considerable development, public outcry and finally, revision. While many are heralding this as a major victory, others feel that there is much work to do in maintaining and furthering the development of organic agricultural practices.
    http://www.rainbowgrocery.org/produc...ryorganic.html

The study was conducted in the UK. Prior to the establishment of the Food Standards Agency, they had UKROFS (United Kingdom Register of Organic Food Standards). When was UKROFS founded? 1958? No. 1987.

The study used a poor sampling method for it's meta-analysis. There were no consistent standards for Organic food between 1958 and 2008. Hell, the earliest "standards" weren't enforced until 1987 in the UK. Here's another one for you:

4 Year Newcastle University Study in UK: Organic Produce Better for You

The £12m four-year project, led by Newcastle University, found a general trend showing organic food contained more antioxidants and less fatty acids.

But researchers did admit the study showed some variations.

The findings call into question the current stance of the Food Standards Agency (FSA), which says there is no evidence that organic food is better.

Researchers grew fruit, vegetables and reared cattle on adjacent organic and non-organic sites across Europe, including a 725-acre farm attached to Newcastle University.

"The FSA has always been quite sceptical of organic food when there is no need to be"
    -Soil Association spokesman

They found levels of antioxidants in milk from organic cattle were between 50% and 80% higher than normal milk.

Organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, onions and lettuce had between 20% and 40% more nutrients.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7067100.stm

So the bottom line here is, think critically about the bull$#@! that you are being fed by the headlines.

This authors of this study did not touch a single piece of produce to arrive at their conclusions.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Well, the people above already said what I was thinking, but yes, the author of the article is missing the whole point of buying organic. It's just about nutritional value, it's about avoiding pesticides, toxins, growth hormones, and other crap that is in most foods.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The article is a bit light on content.
    Not light enough. They reviewed studies made over the last fifty years. Now, someone please tell me what genetically modified foods they might have been studying in 1959?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

So with this logic; putting antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, and god knows what else into your body is as safe as smoking a cigarette with additives, fillers, and reconstituted tobacco.

bull$#@!.
    [Jeremy] zach is a typical racist from WV
    [CaseyJones] zach is hiding the fact that he is reptilian
    In 2012, 3rd party chatrooms will take over RPF Main Chat:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...69&postcount=1

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pacelli View Post
    Results: From a total of 52,471 articles, we identified 162 studies (137 crops and 25 livestock products); 55 were of satisfactory quality. In an analysis that included only satisfactory quality studies, conventionally produced crops had a significantly higher content of nitrogen, and organically produced crops had a significantly higher content of phosphorus and higher titratable acidity. No evidence of a difference was detected for the remaining 8 of 11 crop nutrient categories analyzed. Analysis of the more limited database on livestock products found no evidence of a difference in nutrient content between organically and conventionally produced livestock products.
    Ah, ok. So the study had nothing to do with how healthy organic foods are. The study just looked at the levels of 11 nutrients. It was the MSM that took the study and came to the conclusion that the same levels of nutrients means it's just as healthy.

By that reasoning, you could take 2 apples from the same tree, inject 1 of them with poison, and come to the conclusion that the 2 apples are still equally healthy because they have the same amount of nutrients in them.

Quote Originally Posted by almantimes2 View Post

What do you guys think?
    I don't think it was ever portrayed as more nutritious, just less poisonous.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post

Sort of adds a different slant to the old "diamonds are a girl's best friend" line, doesn't it?

Real Organic food (not "junk" food)>non-organic food. All the time, every time.

you mean, my organic cheetos aren't healthier?

[Jeremy] zach is a typical racist from WV
    [CaseyJones] zach is hiding the fact that he is reptilian
    In 2012, 3rd party chatrooms will take over RPF Main Chat:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...69&postcount=1

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Homer View Post
    Ah, ok. So the study had nothing to do with how healthy organic foods are. The study just looked at the levels of 11 nutrients. It was the MSM that took the study and came to the conclusion that the same levels of nutrients means it's just as healthy.

By that reasoning, you could take 2 apples from the same tree, inject 1 of them with poison, and come to the conclusion that the 2 apples are still equally healthy because they have the same amount of nutrients in them.
    That isn't so much of an allegory as a direct reflection on the difference between organic and inorganic farming.

You guys can eat fast food all you want, I'll take natural raw non-GMO foods.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    Well, the people above already said what I was thinking, but yes, the author of the article is missing the whole point of buying organic. It's just about nutritional value, it's about avoiding pesticides, toxins, growth hormones, and other crap that is in most foods.
    You mean organic farms remove the radioactive materials from the soil that are naturally occurring? Wow! That must be really expensive. How do they remove the toxins from the soil that fall in the rain? Or blow around in the atmosphere?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objectivist View Post
    You mean organic farms remove the radioactive materials from the soil that are naturally occurring? Wow! That must be really expensive. How do they remove the toxins from the soil that fall in the rain? Or blow around in the atmosphere?
    They don't ADD additional toxic chemicals that aren't already in the environment. Come on, man.. seriously. If you really believed in property rights you would choose organic.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Wouldn't all of that be in non-organically grown food as well? And, wouldn't the elimination of toxic chemical pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers place organically grown food in a better position as far as toxicity goes as a result?

Looking at it objectively, it seems to me you're still better off with organic and non GMO food.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

You're completely right! We should all just eat genetically modified food and foods doused in chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They don't ADD additional toxic chemicals that aren't already in the environment. Come on, man.. seriously. If you really believed in property rights you would choose organic.
    Never said anything about "ADDING" when everything mentioned is naturally occurring in the soil or there's plenty of "toxins' blowing around in the atmosphere. Lets talk about animal feces and all that it encompasses, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    You're completely right! We should all just eat genetically modified food and foods doused in chemicals.
    You cannot escape reality.

Organic food not more nutritous Study finds.

LOLOLOLOL! Yes, and also cigarettes are not addictive and french fries have lots of Omega 3 and protein and are good for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast