Thread: Goldman Sachs Pays $1.1 Billion to Treasury, Handing Taxpayers 23% Return

Goldman Sachs Pays $1.1 Billion to Treasury, Handing Taxpayers 23% Return

Goldman Sachs Pays $1.1 Billion for Treasury Warrants

By Christine Harper

July 22 (Bloomberg) -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. agreed to the U.S. Treasury’s request for $1.1 billion to redeem warrants the government received when it invested in the firm, which reported record second-quarter profit last week.

The payment is in addition to $318 million in preferred dividends that Goldman Sachs paid on the $10 billion U.S. investment. On an annualized basis, the total return to taxpayers was 23 percent, the New York-based bank said today in a statement.

“This return is reflective of the government’s assistance, which benefited the financial system, our firm and our shareholders,” Chief Executive Officer Lloyd Blankfein, 54, said in the statement. “We are grateful for the government efforts.”

Unlike JPMorgan Chase & Co., the second-biggest U.S. bank by assets, Goldman Sachs agreed to pay the full amount sought by Treasury. JPMorgan, which has repaid $25 billion it received from the government, said earlier this month that it couldn’t agree with the government on its warrants’ value, leaving them to be sold in a public auction.

Goldman’s decision follows criticism of the bank by lawmakers who questioned its decision to set aside a record $11.4 billion to pay employees in the first half of the year.

The company’s warrant transaction “was the best deal for taxpayers yet,” said Linus Wilson, a finance professor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
    http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...d=a6pS.2Pr7bdQ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

when do I get my check?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Hey, that clears away any blame for the lending/monetary system and the housing bubble, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    Hey, that clears away any blame for the lending/monetary system and the housing bubble, doesn't it?
    Yup! All is well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix566 View Post
    Yup! All is well now.
    Yep! The taxpayers benefitted! If it wasn't for the federal reserve there to provide crucial liquidity in a time of crisis, there would be no stability!
    Last edited by Brian Defferding; 07-22-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Didn't Treasury assert that any money paid back they could then reinvest, thus creating a 700 billion revolving line of credit. I am pretty sure I remember a YouTube of Geitner asserting as much (to the dismayed spluttering of whichever congress critter was girlling him).

The money does NOT go back to the general fund, I wonder if that goes for the 23% "profit" as well? That will probably go to bonuses both in Treasury and GS.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Thats great! Only about 50 more success stories just like this before we break even. Something tells me the Option ARM expirations going full force until 2011 won't make such a prospect so easy. Of course when high inflation kicks in a 20% annual return will be more like breaking even.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    lol what about the money GS got from AIG HMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm???

Quote Originally Posted by newbitech View Post
    lol what about the money GS got from AIG HMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm???
    Exactly, If you calculate the 13 billion that had to be used to settle cds bets that GS had with aig, we more have a -60% return on our money. Gosh I hate the msm.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    Exactly, If you calculate the 13 billion that had to be used to settle cds bets that GS had with aig, we more have a -60% return on our money. Gosh I hate the msm.
    That's exactly what I was going to mention...