Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left Brain, Right Brain - No Brain?

bump
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Haven't had a chance to read it in depth yet, but I did scan it over and it looks interesting. I've read a lot of stuff on this topic over the years, and I really do think it's a critical area that most never even consider.

One thing's for sure, beating our heads against the wall of people's deeply held beliefs and defensive natures isn't really going to cut it.
    I quit arguing with people. I try to find something I can agree with them on and then (after I gain their trust) I drop a few truth bombs and walk off. I know I've made a few people think - which is good but I can only claim one full on convert. He works for my husband and drives him nuts with the RP videos, lol. Mr Animal was a neocon when we met but once I convinced him to quit listening Rush (said it gave me a "headache"), he's come around quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I quit arguing with people. I try to find something I can agree with them on and then (after I gain their trust) I drop a few truth bombs and walk off. I know I've made a few people think - which is good but I can only claim one full on convert. He works for my husband and drives him nuts with the RP videos, lol. Mr Animal was a neocon when we met but once I convinced him to quit listening Rush (said it gave me a "headache"), he's come around quite a bit.

That's actually an excellent approach to take. Most people didn't come to be liberty advocates in one giant leap. It usually takes a while and happens in small steps alon the way. Especially if they've been part of the matrix all their lives. +rep
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Absolutely. It applies whenever people have deeply held beliefs of any kind.
    deeply held=poorly investigated
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

From my perspective this means that we should consider advocating the benefits of liberty and libertarianism versus explaining the immorality of government. So finding why it is this person finds the need for coercion and government and explaining to them how their desires can be better achieved in liberty.

But for people who's deeply held belief is that government needs to occupy this role providing for their desires???? It seems like the only way to approach them would be to combat their deeply held belief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12