Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 54

Thread: Murray N. Rothbard: In Memoriam by Ron Paul

  1. #1

    Arrow Murray N. Rothbard: In Memoriam by Ron Paul

    "America has lost one of her greatest men, and the Freedom Movement one of its greatest heroes: Murray N. Rothbard. In his 25 books and thousands of articles—not to speak of his personal example—Murray was an inspiration. With his death, all who cherish individual rights and oppose the welfare-warfare state, are the poorer.

    Murray was a world-class Austrian economist, and he influenced thousands of students. I was one of them, for he taught me about economics and liberty, and encouraged my political work against war, inflation, and big government.

    Although I had read Murray for years, I didn't meet him until 1979.1 wrote him, he wrote back, and I invited him to the "belly of the beast/' the U.S. Congress. I knew he had a great mind, but instead of a pompous professor, I discovered a joyous libertarian, and one of the most fascinating human beings I've ever met.

    I loved talking to this down-to-earth genius. And he told me he enjoyed meeting a Congressman who had not only read his books, but used them as a guide in his votes and legislation. A close and lasting friendship was the result, which wasn't hard. Murray was the sweetest, funniest, most generous of men.

    He was also a great help with the Minority Report of the U.S. Gold Commission, published as The Case for Gold. But who could be surprised? He was our greatest academic expert on the history and economics of the gold standard.

    When I last talked to Murray, a few days before his untimely death, he urged me to run for office again. Recent elections or not, he said, our side needs an uncompromising anti-statist voice in Washington, D.C. The founder of modern libertarianism and an economist, historian, and political philosopher of extravagant accomplishments, Murray also loved—and was an expert in—Dixieland jazz, the religious paintings of the Renaissance, basketball, Baroque church architecture, and the nitty-gritty of politics. With tremendous zest for life and for the battle, he defended our freedom and our property, and built the ideas that are their foundation.

    Although a Jew and not a man of faith, he loved Christianity— he was also an expert in theology and church history—and saw it as the source of almost everything good in Western civilization. Murray N. Rothbard is now for the ages. My heart goes out to Joey, his wife of 41 years, and to all of us. We have lost a matchless champion of freedom. But I have no concerns for Murray himself. The Lord God knows His own. •"


    To read the full text, click here.

    Murray N. Rothbard
    Library and
    Resources
    Last edited by Conza88; 07-13-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

    Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:
    Ignore: Xerographica, newbitech, Travlyr



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default

    Now I just wish I got to meet Murray , nice olive branch post though.

  4. #3

    Default

    So sorry to hear of his passing. We as a country are loosing those who knew freedom and how to keep it. Their works must be preserved. May God bless this man.

  5. #4

    Default

    he loved Christianity— he was also an expert in theology and church history—and saw it as the source of almost everything good in Western civilization.
    Some might want to note this.
    “I have many friends in the libertarian movement who look down on those of us who get involved in political activity,”
    he acknowledged, but "eventually, if you want to bring about changes … what you have to do is participate in political
    action.
    ” -- Ron Paul


    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% the same on issues." "People Try To Drive Wedges Between Rand And Me." --Ron Paul

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=pB5JgzBVHN0

    The Property Basis of Rights

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fedup100 View Post
    So sorry to hear of his passing. We as a country are loosing those who knew freedom and how to keep it. Their works must be preserved. May God bless this man.
    He died in 1995.
    “I have many friends in the libertarian movement who look down on those of us who get involved in political activity,”
    he acknowledged, but "eventually, if you want to bring about changes … what you have to do is participate in political
    action.
    ” -- Ron Paul


    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% the same on issues." "People Try To Drive Wedges Between Rand And Me." --Ron Paul

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=pB5JgzBVHN0

    The Property Basis of Rights

  7. #6

    Default

    He died 14 years ago.

    I don't know why Conza keeps posting this stuff
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and I stand with Rand.

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Some might want to note this.
    Yes. Theocrat and Conservative Christian for starters.

    Quote Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
    He died 14 years ago.

    I don't know why Conza keeps posting this stuff
    Ron Paul wrote this... this is a Ron Paul forum. Oops, Liberty Forest.. And there are some folks that need to pay more attention to the greats of the past, present and future.
    Last edited by Conza88; 07-13-2009 at 10:04 AM.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

    Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:
    Ignore: Xerographica, newbitech, Travlyr

  9. #8
    Senior MsDoodahs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chappell Hill, Texas
    Posts
    11,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
    I don't know why Conza keeps posting this stuff
    For those of us who enjoy reading these kinds of things.

    Like me.



    Thanks, Conza!
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Yes. Theocrat and Conservative Christian for starters.
    I thought as much as you liked Rothbard, you'd value his viewpoint on Christianity too. Guess not.
    “I have many friends in the libertarian movement who look down on those of us who get involved in political activity,”
    he acknowledged, but "eventually, if you want to bring about changes … what you have to do is participate in political
    action.
    ” -- Ron Paul


    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% the same on issues." "People Try To Drive Wedges Between Rand And Me." --Ron Paul

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=pB5JgzBVHN0

    The Property Basis of Rights

  11. #10
    Senior MsDoodahs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chappell Hill, Texas
    Posts
    11,373

    Default

    Don't take the bait, Conza.

    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

  12. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post

    Ron Paul wrote this... this is a Ron Paul forum. Oops, Liberty Forest.. And there are some folks that need to pay more attention to the greats of the past, present and future.
    I know. I'm a fan of Rothbard and have read this before. I just wasn't sure exactly why you decided to post it today.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and I stand with Rand.

  13. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I thought as much as you liked Rothbard, you'd value his viewpoint on Christianity too. Guess not.
    Well he's a man not a religious figurehead, sadly my own personal experience with Christianity trumps Rothbard's praise of it.

  14. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I thought as much as you liked Rothbard, you'd value his viewpoint on Christianity too. Guess not.
    His views are illogical in this respect. Being "a fan" of Christianity (particularly Catholicism, which, surprise, surprise, is Lew Rockwell's religion) while not believing in it is total bullshit.

    I'd surmise that his praise of Catholicism had a lot more to do with internal "politicking" within the libertarian movement than an actual philosophy.

    Remember, Rothbard essentially had to choose between associating with the atheistic, yet anti-anarchist Randians, or the religious, yet anarchistic Rockwell circles. He chose the latter, thankfully, but an unfortunate side-effect is that this issue is still with us.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

    Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

    The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

  15. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Some might want to note this.
    i saw that but what stood out to me even larger was the "although a jew" just seemed so out of place, anyway

    i have no faith in organized religions(man-made)

    God(what man calls him) knows who i am i try to keep an openmind, damned if i do!
    Last edited by speciallyblend; 07-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

  16. #15

    Default

    It said he was not a man of faith.

    I remember jokingly asking Theocrat in the chat room, if he would pray to God that he let Murray Rothbard out of hell. He just said 'no', undoubtedly believing Murray is in hell right now because he didn't believe in God.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    We have lost a matchless champion of freedom. But I have no concerns for Murray himself. The Lord God knows His own. •"
    Perhaps you should have been concerned Ron Paul, our resident expert on all things God, Theocrat, thinks Murray is in hell.

    After all one can't be a good and moral person without believing in God.
    Last edited by Andrew-Austin; 07-13-2009 at 11:32 AM.

  17. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-Austin View Post
    It said he was not a man of faith.

    I remember jokingly asking Theocrat in the chat room, if he would pray to God that he let Murray Rothbard out of hell. He just said 'no', undoubtedly believing Murray is in hell right now because he didn't believe in God.



    Perhaps you should have been concerned Ron Paul, our resident expert on all things God, Theocrat, thinks Murray is in hell.

    After all one can't be a good and moral person without believing in God.
    If people like Murray Rothbard are in hell, and people like Theocrat are in heaven, send me to hell and throw away the key!
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

    Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

    The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

  18. #17

    Default

    Stop beating up on Theo. He's every bit as entitled to his beliefs as you are to yours.

  19. #18

    Default

    Thanx for the ode to Maestro Rothbard, Conza.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    The government is incapable of doing what it's supposed to do. A job like the provision of security is something best left to private institutions.
    My music/art page is here"government is the enemy of liberty"-RP
    That which doesn't kill me has made a grave tactical error
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This whole board is a thoughtcrime in progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by danke View Post
    I carry my man purse for fashion, not function.

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    Stop beating up on Theo. He's every bit as entitled to his beliefs as you are to yours.
    Please provide evidence showing that I stated that Theocrat was not entitled to his beliefs.

    If you can't, shut up.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

    Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

    The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

  21. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmouth View Post
    Please provide evidence showing that I stated that Theocrat was not entitled to his beliefs.

    If you can't, shut up.
    Touchy, touchy. Who said I was talking to you?

  22. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    Touchy, touchy. Who said I was talking to you?
    Uh, considering your post was right under mine and I mentioned Theocrat, it was pretty clear you were referring to me. If not, then you should have specified.

    Or perhaps you left it purposely ambiguous to protect yourself?

    Either way, you have supplied no evidence.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

    Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

    The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

  23. #22

    Default

    Well, you went out of your way to insult a forum member. C'mon, Brass, you know that. Theo's not even a part of this thread.

    “I have many friends in the libertarian movement who look down on those of us who get involved in political activity,”
    he acknowledged, but "eventually, if you want to bring about changes … what you have to do is participate in political
    action.
    ” -- Ron Paul


    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% the same on issues." "People Try To Drive Wedges Between Rand And Me." --Ron Paul

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=pB5JgzBVHN0

    The Property Basis of Rights

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmouth View Post
    Uh, considering your post was right under mine and I mentioned Theocrat, it was pretty clear you were referring to me. If not, then you should have specified.

    Or perhaps you left it purposely ambiguous to protect yourself?

    Either way, you have supplied no evidence.
    No evidence of what? Read the thread. More than one poster in this thread specifically mentioned Theo in a derogatory way. Why? Does it improve your (plural, because apparently I have to put disclaimers in my posts for you) arguments? What point was there to mention him at all?

    Protect myself from what and provide evidence of what? Read the thread.
    Last edited by LittleLightShining; 07-13-2009 at 12:54 PM.

  25. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Well, you went out of your way to insult a forum member. C'mon, Brass, you know that. Theo's not even a part of this thread.

    Since when does stating that I'd prefer not to spend an eternity with another forum member constitute an insult?

    Seriously, there's no insult there. I didn't even bring up Theocrat, someone else did.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    No evidence of what? Read the thread. Two posters in this thread specifically mentioned Theo in a derogatory way. Why? Does it improve your (plural, because apparently I have to put disclaimers in my posts for you) arguments? What point was there to mention him at all?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but Theocrat has made himself infamous around here for his...well, let's say "debating style." Almost any thread mentioning religion mentions him as well. I have no control over what others post, or over the formation of running jokes among forum members.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    Protect myself from what and provide evidence of what? Read the thread.
    You implied that I deny Theocrat's right to his beliefs, which is totally false. I do not take accusations lightly. I then asked you to supply evidence of my denial of Theocrat's rights, which you obviously could not.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

    Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

    The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

  26. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmouth View Post


    You implied that I deny Theocrat's right to his beliefs, which is totally false. I do not take accusations lightly. I then asked you to supply evidence of my denial of Theocrat's rights, which you obviously could not.
    Because I never said I was talking to YOU.

  27. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    Because I never said I was talking to YOU.
    I've already addressed this. I'm not interested in a circular debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmouth View Post
    Uh, considering your post was right under mine and I mentioned Theocrat, it was pretty clear you were referring to me. If not, then you should have specified.
    Also noted that have yet to supply evidence for your accusation.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

    Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

    The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

  28. #27

    Default

    Well Brassmouth, it gave me a good laugh at least.

  29. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmouth View Post
    I've already addressed this. I'm not interested in a circular debate.



    Also noted that have yet to supply evidence for your accusation.
    So now who's saying the "debate" is over? If you weren't so defensive you might be able to look at this clearly.

  30. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myself
    Perhaps you should have been concerned Ron Paul, our resident expert on all things God, Theocrat, thinks Murray is in hell.

    After all one can't be a good and moral person without believing in God.
    All I was doing was agreeing with Theo, if this is in fact his view. (all apologies to him if it is not)

    -There is a realm in the afterlife that exists for the purpose of God's punishment of immoral souls.
    -Not believing in God is an immoral sin.
    -If one is moral and virtuous in every other regard, but does not believe in God, he will go to hell.
    -Murray Rothbard did not believe in God, therefor he is in hell.

    I never actually disagreed with this position. If you can find something blatantly wrong with this view and disagree with it, it does not necessarily mean I disagree with it.
    Last edited by Andrew-Austin; 07-13-2009 at 01:23 PM.

  31. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Well Brassmouth, it gave me a good laugh at least.
    Well at least some good came out of this headache, then.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

    Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

    The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast




« Previous Thread | Next Thread »


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •