Thread: Pocket (Pico) Projectors

Pocket (Pico) Projectors

This subject should definitely be in activism, but I'm not sure about video producing although it applies indirectly. How many of you actually use one of these devices? If not, why not? Although, the brightness of these small LED projection devices is limited (10 lumen), they're still useful in buildings or at night. During the summer, these devices could be used to project video onto nearby surfaces outside at night which promotes discussion about the subject matter. * The price is reasonable. More powerful devices a bit larger than pocket size will run from a car battery and a laptop, but some of these pocket projectors don't need additional hardware.

http://articles.projectorpeople.com/...ket-projector/

* The subject matter should generally be short and to the point, probably about 5 minutes to peak interest in the subject. Of course, the subject can be a full length presentation if desired. The educational possibilities are nearly endless and can serve to help break the monopoly of the mass media if employed on a wide scale.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 07-06-2009 at 12:26 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As an attachment to the idea of using projection devices whether pico or full sized:

ALL video produced needs subtitling for use with projection devices, because the use of audio isn't always convenient or available to an audience. Whether produced by the C4L or activists, ALL video needs subtitles for use with projection devices and other displays. Most of the video produced by members here is basically useless because the intended audience, uninterested and ignorant masses, will rarely be reached without projecting subtitled video in their faces.

For example, you just bought a newer large screen LED display to replace your older large screen LCD display. Put the older display to good use. Moderate sized MP4s with subtitles should project adequately enough on larger displays to spread the intended message. Pocket projectors would have no problem except for visibility.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 09-28-2009 at 10:05 PM.

From an advertisement on RPFs, I noticed the following pocket projector:

The specifications of the more advanced model, the p2, are impressive, e.g. 30+ lumen output, although the battery life is not.

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/p2_pico_projector.htm

However, optional battery packs are available for a price. The standard 35 minute capacity is simply not enough. I'd guess that at least the optional battery pack of 70 * minutes should suffice for most applications. An even longer 180 minute capacity exists, but we're likely looking at considerable money and weight. No, the 180 minute battery pack is fairly decent in capability, price, and weight... Hmmm.

I haven't not researched this product, yet, but I'll try to find the time. Other than the standard battery, the specifications look good.

* Although it's mentioned, I only see an actual picture of their $100 (currently discounted to $80), 180 minute battery pack.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-03-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Of the current crop of pocket projectors, the aaxa p2 is probably the best deal at 30+ lumen output. However, the battery life is only 35 minutes with the built in battery. In all fairness, you can buy an optional 3hr Li-Ion battery pack for another $80 or so. Total cost around $425.

I understand that 3M will be releasing an updated MPro model, the MPro150 *, which will probably have 15 lumen output. If 3M can keep the battery life at the highest output level, i.e. 15 lumen, and still maintain 2+ hours of battery life, they'll likely have a real winner with this model if the price remains near $350. No optional battery pack should be required.

This technology continues to mature and the MPro120 was probably 3M's first "usable" pocket projector at 12 lumen. Usable means a room with dim light. If the newer MPro150 has at least 15 lumen output with at least 2+ hour battery life on high, then so much the better. I just might buy this newer model as a spare. More later. ...

* http://www.pcworld.com/article/18621...ml?tk=rss_news
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-08-2010 at 03:40 AM.
    Truth Drives Me

Microvision Laser Pocket Projector for iPhone

Microvision, a leader in display technology for pocket projectors, has introduced a projection system for the iPhone based on lasers. The cost is pretty steep, though.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/inde...ewsid=3209589&
    Truth Drives Me

New pico projectors popping up everywhere!

AAXA L1 laser ... search for reviews ... basically a bit high-priced with some flaws requiring some work, e.g. speckled image, green tint, and hot temperature. (20 lumen)

3M MPro150 ... likely my next pico projector when the price falls to $300 ... getting close. (15 lumen)

Optoma's new PK-201 ... a sleeper unit which is just $300... the main problem: only 60 minutes of battery life before recharging.... Extend the battery life to 90+ minutes ASAP, Optoma! (20 lumen) *

* I may change my mind ... Even at 1 hour of battery life, I should be able to do political activism within that time frame while on the road. Additionally, the Optoma Pk201's features allow it to be used at home where I can use it to project HDMI output onto a wall for use with my voice recognition system.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 05-05-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    Truth Drives Me