Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College ain't worth what it costs (article)

My goal is to become a physician. I gotta go to school in that case

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It seems to me that most people with newly earned degrees are working the same jobs high school graduates are anyways.....
    The things that matter in this country have been reduced in choice..... there are two political parties, there are a handful of insurance companies, six or seven information sources, BUT IF YOU WANT A BAGEL there are 23 flavors!
    ~George Carlin

This account has been hijacked by several sovereign citizen extremist groups.

Quote Originally Posted by denison View Post
    If they government ran off of profit it would be more effect and could deliver good service.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    My goal is to become a physician. I gotta go to school in that case
    I'm not familiar with the field-could you work for a professional physicist (as an assistant or whatever) to get the same or better training you would in school?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The fact that school prices constantly rise, while educational information has never been more accessible and cheap (internet), is a huge warning sign that the system isn't worth investing in.

if you want to be a doctor, scientists or somethign like that, than yea but, people who spend tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars to study Art, Business, marketing, etc. need to seriously look into the valuable, and practical forms of education that can be found MUCH cheaper.

I have friends with marketing and business degrees, tacked with student debt, handing out resumes for jobs. One of my friend is delivering pizzas with his expensive degree. I have no degree, yet I figured out how to start and run a successful business, based on information i learned online, while working at another job.

Those who waste money studying marketing in school are falling behind those who study marketing online, let me tell you

Courses are evolving far slower, than the information that can be found online.
    Last edited by ClayTrainor; 07-21-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    The fact that school prices constantly rise, while educational information has never been more accessible and cheap (internet), is a huge warning sign that the system isn't worth investing in.

if you want to be a doctor, scientists or somethign like that, than yea but, people who spend tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars to study Art, Business, marketing, etc. need to seriously look into the valuable, and practical forms of education that can be found MUCH cheaper.

I have friends with marketing and business degrees, tacked with student debt, handing out resumes for jobs. One of my friend is delivering pizzas with his expensive degree. I have no degree, yet I figured out how to start and run a successful business, based on information i learned online, while working at another job.

Those who waste money studying marketing in school are falling behind those who study marketing online, let me tell you

Courses are evolving far slower, than the information that can be found online.
    I agree 100%.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the field-could you work for a professional physicist (as an assistant or whatever) to get the same or better training you would in school?
    Nah, you misread what I said. Physician, meaning medical doctor,osteopathic doctor, or naturopathic doctor. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physician

My dad has a master's in solid state physics, so I definitely know the difference.
    Last edited by youngbuck; 07-22-2009 at 03:32 AM.

If I knew what I knew now, I wouldn't have bothered with college.
    Don't go to college to make money, that is a stupid thing to do. If money is your goal, you are indeed better of working at a young age and immediately investing. Getting 10-30% per year is not that difficult if you know what you're doing.

The only reason to go to college is for careers that require such, like being a doctor or lawyer or some other thing.

Nah, you misread what I said. Physician, meaning medical doctor,osteopathic doctor, or naturopathic doctor. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physician

My dad has a master's in solid state physics, so I definitely know the difference.
    Sowwy...read it too fast(multitasking).

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Sowwy...read it too fast(multitasking).
    Yea I figured, no sweat.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

As someone who has looked into this heavily, a Naturopath, while infinitely valuable in around ten years, will be making little to nothing in the interim. So, unless you have some hook-ups, the market, for the most part, just isn't there yet. Your choice will absolutely pay off, but there will be some dry years for sure. Sounds like you know more than me though, good luck to you.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

I never pd for school , my employers did .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I never pd for school , my employers did .
    Still, I tell people all the time the best investment I made was paying for DW's nursing degree RN from the local community college.
    Cost: 9k for the degree. She got a job out of that making about 50k/year with benefits. After a little over half a decade of doing that she has been averaging about 80k/year plus benefits, plus 401k matching, plus they have paid for her bachelors and now her masters (no money spent on those degrees other than books).

hands down best return on my money, ever.

Yep , community college is the way to go . Pay as you go .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    A year in a fantastic personal finance class going over many numbers and scenarios convinced me to favor interest compounding now over potentially higher pay later.

Also convinced me to eat ramen noodles.... regularly.

I miss Kludge...

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

If I ever have kids I'm giving them the option of not going to college. Hopefully thats the option they end up choosing.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12