Thread: Disaster Prep?!

Question Disaster Prep?!

I was recently in Canada and could not help but notice that the television stations are constantly airing commercials advising to have your "3 day disaster prep kit" ready. Are you prepared if your utilities are not functioning for 3 days? There are govn't sites that help and guide you as to what to put into your kit. What the hell is Canada preparing for?! Anything like this here in America?
    I love my country, but I fear my government

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In general, it's good to have disaster kits ready for various events. In Florida, it's hurricanes. Up north, it's snows or strong spring storms, or just overloading of the power grids (depending on who you ask, this can cause brown/black -outs... or it could be conspiracies amok). Out west, there are fires and earthquakes and volcanoes and mudslides to worry about. In the middle, there are ice storms, tornadoes, dust storms, etc.

The lists aren't a bad idea. There's nothing mandatory or terrible about them. Some people have no idea how much water to keep around, or canned foods, or whatever. Some have to be reminded to pack a can opener with all that canned food. There are non-Government lists that essentially say the same thing.

You also want to have some essentials in your car "just in case". People sometimes get run off the road and survive off of the junk food they have in the car. When you're stuck like that in the snow, having a blanket is pretty damned important.

None of that's being paranoid. It's just being prepared.