Thread: Brown spots on my Bell Peppers???

Brown spots on my Bell Peppers???

I've noticed some of my bell peppers have soft, brown spots on the sides of the fruit. I don't think it's blossom-end rot bc. the spots aren't on the end/bottom of the pepper. I've never had this problem before.

Does anybody know what causes this?
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    have you cut one open to see if it is insect related?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Have you guys been getting lots of rain over there? Could be from too much water maybe?

Brown spots on my Peppers

I keep thinking that sounds like the title of a Country music song.

If gardeners and farmers would list common problems and uncommon dilemmas, as terms and phrases widely recognized by Growers, I sense that a brilliantly satirical poem would coalesce almost organically.

It sounds like Bacterial Spot from what you describe. Any leaf symptoms at all?
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Try looking here:

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...epper_List.htm

Sounds like either BER or a FUNGUS/Baterial Spot.

There's some pics here... is this the problem you are having? They list problem/Cause/Effect/Resolutions at Cornell U AG coop
    http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...r_BactSpot.htm

Remember, to put AG gypsum (Calcium/Surphur) in your garden each year before planting. Help with BER on Tomatoes/Peppers.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-16-2009 at 02:57 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

"...brown spots on peppers are usually an indication of inconsistent watering. This is especially prevalent in hot weather. What generally causes this is a depletion of calcium in the soil due to excess watering.

This condition can be corrected by amending the soil with organic materials such as compost, aged manure, and peat. These materials will improve the tilth of the soil and also improve drainage. you should also mulch the plants with 3" of straw or dried grass clippings. Mulch not only retains moisture, which decreases the need to water, but it also cools the soil."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Growing-V...rown-Spots.htm
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeNNiF00F00 View Post
    Have you guys been getting lots of rain over there? Could be from too much water maybe?
    Yeah, I think that's what it is. Here in Charleston we've had tons of rain lately, bad thunderstorms with heavy rains and winds every afternoon.

This month we've already had about 4in and last month we had 7in.

These are the only two showing this condition. The others show no sign of problems, and the leaves are showing no problems.

I really hope all this rain doesn't make my carrots crack.
    Last edited by RSLudlum; 06-16-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Looks like fruit spot and rot (fungus, Colletotrichum capsici)

Does anyone know how to get rid of Colletotrichum capsici once it's struck? And how to prevent it as well? It looks like ramallamamama is banned and I can't find anything on it in google. I'm assuming it's a fungus? I'm getting brown spots on my green bell peppers too like RSLudlum's but not as bad. I know for sure it's not blossom end rot.

It's been a while since I posted, not since Dr. Paul was running. Nice to be back.
    Last edited by Jules; 06-02-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Does anyone know how to get rid of Colletotrichum capsici once it's struck? And how to prevent it as well? It looks like ramallamamama is banned and I can't find anything on it in google. I'm assuming it's a fungus? I'm getting brown spots on my green bell peppers too like RSLudlum's but not as bad. I know for sure it's not blossom end rot.

It's been a while since I posted, not since Dr. Paul was running. Nice to be back.
    Colletotrichum Capsici is a fungus that causes leaf blight. Rodale recommends destroying all dropped leaves and prunings, mulching to prevent dirt and spores from being splashed up onto plants, and applying weekly copper or sulfur sprays to provide control.

(Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, p. 182)
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

It's the govt spraying chemtrails on your home garden because you are in violation of Wickard v Filburn.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Hmm.. it may be Anthracnose but I'm not sure. I was thinking sunscald but the color isn't white enough. Here are my peppers I took with my phone this morning. My poor babies.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At least you have peppers...sigh, I started late and things aren't as happy as I'd like them to be in the back yard.

Charlotte NC here and we've had wicked rain too, almost half filled the wheelbarrow up in two days--and all of it was rain, no runoff from the roof or other struct. (Can't believe I left the wheelbarrow out, but...oh well..)
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

You’ll have time.

We did the same last year and started too late. We even accidentally left compost in a wheel barrow and it got drenched. At least we were able to make some compost tea.

Since we’re in Louisiana, we have to start seeds in January because once the heat hits, the plants should be done or else the heat will do it for them.

As for my peppers, my dad said the same thing happened to him. He cracked one open and found a black caterpillar inside munching away when there was no sign of an entrance. He said a certain moth lays its eggs in an apple flower/ovum and the worm eats its way out eventually. The same may have happened to the pepper plant. Tonight when I get home from work, I’m going to split one open and do some dissecting.

I cut open both peppers and found no bugs. The only thing inside was a small portion of fuzzy mold growing on the brown area. My only theory is too much water or it got banged up from the wind. The other peppers on the plant look great. I suppose it's a case where not everything can be perfect.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys and gals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I cut open both peppers and found no bugs. The only thing inside was a small portion of fuzzy mold growing on the brown area. My only theory is too much water or it got banged up from the wind. The other peppers on the plant look great. I suppose it's a case where not everything can be perfect.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys and gals.
    it looks to me like a bug had gotten to it but was either full or didnt like it and stopped.. and what you see is the plant's attempt to heal it as best it can..

thats what mine looked like when bugs were going at them.. I dont know, bugs must not like peppers or something..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear