Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "bad sign for Fred" The signs and banners DO make a difference!

"bad sign for Fred" The signs and banners DO make a difference!

Bad sign for Fred?
    By Ann Marie Curling | September 22, 2007 - 5:57 pm - Posted in Mitt Romney, Analysis, Commentary, and Editorials, New Media, 2008, Michigan, F. Thompson, Lazy

I always love when a reporter makes a pun out of a story, and this one is no exception.

From Nolan Finley of The Detroit News

Bad sign for Fred?

One sign that former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson is lagging in campaign organization: No signs.

Yard signs are as plentiful on Mackinac Island this weekend as are lilacs in the spring. Signs shouting Mitt, McCain and Rudy are everywhere. Signs touting internet curiousity Ron Paul start showing up along I-75 miles before you get to Mackinaw City. Even the obscure Duncan Hunter has respectable signage.

But I’ve yet to see a Thompson yard sign. I did see a Thompson bumper sticker pasted on the broad back of a beefy young Republican, but couldn’t tell whether he put it there himself or was the victim of a prankster.

Thompson, in a brief roundable with Michigan reporters, said he isn’t worried about his late start.

“I don’t know why I have to worry about catching up when most of the polls have me already ahead,” he said.

Thompson notes that while the other candidates have maxed out their donations from key supporters, he still has plenty of fundraising room left.

Asked whether he prefers politics to television, Thompson said:

“Law and Order was fun, but I learned early on that anything they pay you for eventually turns out to be work, I didn’t see any point spending a whole lot more time reading other people’s scripts.”

This last quote just dumbfounds me, especially this part, “but I learned early on that anything they pay you for eventually turns out to be work”. Acting is a far cry from being President of the United States, and if he thinks that acting is work he’s has a rude awakening coming to him should he become President of the United States. Once again, just another “sign” of laziness from this candidate.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got a call from a Fred Thompson telemarketer earlier today.The lady calling wanted me to listen to a recorded message from Fred Thompson.

I told her that I wasn't interested because I'm voting for a true conservative. She told me that Fred Thompson is a conservative. I responded by saying that he's a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
    State of New York - 24th Congressional District

Last edited by bygone; 09-24-2007 at 10:26 AM.
    Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
    Is just the freight train coming your way
    Its coming your way...
    Its coming your way...
    Here comes!

Quote Originally Posted by guntherg16 View Post
    I got a call from a Fred Thompson telemarketer earlier today.The lady calling wanted me to listen to a recorded message from Fred Thompson.

I told her that I wasn't interested because I'm voting for a true conservative. She told me that Fred Thompson is a conservative. I responded by saying that he's a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Excellent reply. We need to keep making the CFR a huge issue this primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wood View Post
    Bad sign for Fred?
    By Ann Marie Curling | September 22, 2007 - 5:57 pm - Posted in Mitt Romney, Analysis, Commentary, and Editorials, New Media, 2008, Michigan, F. Thompson, Lazy

I always love when a reporter makes a pun out of a story, and this one is no exception.

From Nolan Finley of The Detroit News

Bad sign for Fred?

One sign that former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson is lagging in campaign organization: No signs.

Yard signs are as plentiful on Mackinac Island this weekend as are lilacs in the spring. Signs shouting Mitt, McCain and Rudy are everywhere. Signs touting internet curiousity Ron Paul start showing up along I-75 miles before you get to Mackinaw City. Even the obscure Duncan Hunter has respectable signage.

But I’ve yet to see a Thompson yard sign. I did see a Thompson bumper sticker pasted on the broad back of a beefy young Republican, but couldn’t tell whether he put it there himself or was the victim of a prankster.

Thompson, in a brief roundable with Michigan reporters, said he isn’t worried about his late start.

“I don’t know why I have to worry about catching up when most of the polls have me already ahead,” he said.

Thompson notes that while the other candidates have maxed out their donations from key supporters, he still has plenty of fundraising room left.

Asked whether he prefers politics to television, Thompson said:

“Law and Order was fun, but I learned early on that anything they pay you for eventually turns out to be work, I didn’t see any point spending a whole lot more time reading other people’s scripts.”

This last quote just dumbfounds me, especially this part, “but I learned early on that anything they pay you for eventually turns out to be work”. Acting is a far cry from being President of the United States, and if he thinks that acting is work he’s has a rude awakening coming to him should he become President of the United States. Once again, just another “sign” of laziness from this candidate.

"internet curiosity Ron Paul" What a tw#t! These people are so friggin underhanded it makes me sick.

What I want to know is how all those signs that start appearing miles before Mackinaw along I-75 got there.

After all, writer tells us Ron is nothing but an internet curiousity.

What the hell kind of machine have you guys gone and created?

Have a couple of hackers in their basements figured out a way to make signs...magically appear?

The sheer ignorance of these people is laughable. Sad, too, yes - but honestly, that writer has a serious case of stupid.
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

Doesn't that somewhat promote Ron Paul? His signs are showing up MILES before Mackin, while the others are only in Mackin. Sounds like he is alot better to me... but then, maybe im just looking at this from a pretty weird angle :P

Quote Originally Posted by bygone View Post
    You had better get used to that idea Fred. Especially if you win.
    LOL! OMG THAT'S TRUE! David Rockefeller's scripts!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    hmm... sounds like those RP star trek geeks figured out some kind of teleport hologram technology

That writer is way behind the times. Congressman Paul was an internet curiosity in April/May. Now he is a internet superstar and has moved beyond the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Zydeco View Post
    Excellent reply. We need to keep making the CFR a huge issue this primary.
    I don't know if the average voter is ready to learn about the CFR.

i think it's better to stress Congressman Paul's consistent record of voting according to the Constitution.

Stop bringing up the CFR!

I don't know if the average voter is ready to learn about the CFR.

i think it's better to stress Congressman Paul's consistent record of voting according to the Constitution.
    The CFR is a complete red-herring. It's not some secret club that controls the world. It's a talk-shop where people, many of whom are already very powerful, get together and talk foreign policy. There are libertarians and fans of Ron Paul who are members or former members of the CFR. Believe me, I've met them. Please give it a rest on the CFR thing. The federal government is the cabal you should be worried about. People in the government don't need something like the CFR to do harm--they're already in the government!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoLawyer View Post
    The CFR is a complete red-herring.
    I Agree.
    I am tired of hearing about the Council on Foreign Relations. It is the type of people who associate themselves with it which makes it what it is, not the organization itself. It is more like one never ending cocktail party for Washington elites.

Quote Originally Posted by V-rod View Post
    I Agree.
    I am tired of hearing about the Council on Foreign Relations. It is the type of people who associate themselves with it which makes it what it is, not the organization itself. It is more like one never ending cocktail party for Washington elites.
    As I said previously, I don't think that the average voter is ready to learn about the CFR. With that statement, I intended to imply that it is a topic that should not be discussed with potential Ron Paul supporters.

As for your statement that "It is the type of people who associate themselves with it which makes it what it is, not the organization itself", I think you'll find that membership is by invitation only. The organization chooses those that the organization would like to join it.

I also got the same call. I decided to listen to the message just to see what he had to say.

Superfically he says alot of the same things Ron Paul says, return power to the people, remove special intrests from government etc, etc. Too bad that he doesn't actually stand for any of those things.

To bad that most people don't know the diffrence.

His staffers then asked for a donation. I noted I'm already donating to the Ron Paul campain.

tony

1.) How did Fred get all these phone #'s?

2.) Why don't we get all these numbers and get a Ron Paul message out?

It can't be that costly....I hope...
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post

Good questions.

The CFR is a complete red-herring. It's not some secret club that controls the world. It's a talk-shop where people, many of whom are already very powerful, get together and talk foreign policy. There are libertarians and fans of Ron Paul who are members or former members of the CFR. Believe me, I've met them. Please give it a rest on the CFR thing. The federal government is the cabal you should be worried about. People in the government don't need something like the CFR to do harm--they're already in the government!
    Im not sure how a group of the top elite in the country (the world even?) that gets together to decide how to make the most money and divy up the world bit by bit is a "red herring". I will agree that it isn't some Dr. Evil-type meeting but to say that it is a red herring is to legitimize what it stands for. It stands for the elite networking with other elites for the purposes of personal gain, long and short-term. Guess who pays for those gains? We do.

I do agree that the ordinary brainwashed American (who likens it to that Dr. Evil-type meeting because of movies and the like) is not prepared to understand what it means.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

they farmed the task out to a teleservices co. someone would have to form a pac or something to pay to do the same.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

Chester Copperpot

You know what I find interesting?? ALOT of you people have been getting calls for Fred THomposon but you never get calls for the 'scientific' polls... I wonder why???

Are the polls specifically NOT calling people who tend to be RP supporters but Fred Thompson knows he needs to steal support from Ron to win???

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Im not sure how a group of the top elite in the country (the world even?) that gets together to decide how to make the most money and divy up the world bit by bit is a "red herring". I will agree that it isn't some Dr. Evil-type meeting but to say that it is a red herring is to legitimize what it stands for. It stands for the elite networking with other elites for the purposes of personal gain, long and short-term. Guess who pays for those gains? We do.

I do agree that the ordinary brainwashed American (who likens it to that Dr. Evil-type meeting because of movies and the like) is not prepared to understand what it means.
    To me, the CFR along with many other such organizations, informal gatherings, and networks is nothing more than a part of a shadow party. You have Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Constitutionalists, and then the globalists (CFR, et. al.). Just as the globalists don't mind being members of many other and more benign organizations, so too there are people who are not globalists but are members of globalist organizations. Being a member of the CFR does not make you a globalist, but it does mean you could be one. I use the CFR membership as a don't vote list.

I see no harm in telling a telemarketer for Fred that you won't vote for him because he's a member. I would say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    You know what I find interesting?? ALOT of you people have been getting calls for Fred THomposon but you never get calls for the 'scientific' polls... I wonder why???

Are the polls specifically NOT calling people who tend to be RP supporters but Fred Thompson knows he needs to steal support from Ron to win???
    They probably have rented a list of "Republican" or "political" donors. They might have rented one compiled from people responding to "polls" like that National Republican Senatorial Committee one, or list of conservative organizations.

Wow right off the bat you come out swinging with a straw man argument. Nobody says they are a secret organization. It's the fact that they aren't a secret organization that we know so much about them and their globalist goals. Second, of course the CFR is in the government...that's point, they attack our sovereignty from the inside out (most effective strategy!). I know they hate our sovereignty...because I went to their web site and read it.

Read this article from the PRESIDENT of CFR. It's all about how we should be giving up sovereignty to globalist organizations...the same exact ones that Ron Paul wants out of.
    http://www.cfr.org/publication/9903/...%2Fsovereignty
    "Moreover, states must be prepared to cede some sovereignty to world bodies if the international system is to function."

"Globalisation thus implies that sovereignty is not only becoming weaker in reality, but that it needs to become weaker. States would be wise to weaken sovereignty in order to protect themselves, because they cannot insulate themselves from what goes on elsewhere. Sovereignty is no longer a sanctuary."

I could go on, but I don't want to make this a big post. This is a very brief bit of evidence.

So what if there are libertarians and Ron Paul supporters in CFR. Does that negate any possibility that CFR could be in the business of surrendering our sovereignty to globalist powers? You're the lawyer, would this argument win in court? Michael Scheuer is a Ron Paul supporter and was high up in the CIA and in Washington...does that mean the CIA and Washington are innocent?
    Founder and leader of the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I would have thought that you could have come a with a better reason than that.

Thompson's support for McCain-Feingold is reason enough for me. I wouldn't vote for him for dogcatcher.

Some of us have those numbers, some of us are putting them to use.

Don't wait for someone else to do it

Google telemaketing lists.

I found this company in about 30 seconds.

http://www.marcpub.com/services/telelist/index.html
    Last edited by inibo; 09-22-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAmore View Post
    Wow right off the bat you come out swinging with a straw man argument. Nobody says they are a secret organization. It's the fact that they aren't a secret organization that we know so much about them and their globalist goals. Second, of course the CFR is in the government...that's point, they attack our sovereignty from the inside out (most effective strategy!). I know they hate our sovereignty...because I went to their web site and read it.

Read this article from the PRESIDENT of CFR. It's all about how we should be giving up sovereignty to globalist organizations...the same exact ones that Ron Paul wants out of.
    http://www.cfr.org/publication/9903/...%2Fsovereignty
    "Moreover, states must be prepared to cede some sovereignty to world bodies if the international system is to function."

"Globalisation thus implies that sovereignty is not only becoming weaker in reality, but that it needs to become weaker. States would be wise to weaken sovereignty in order to protect themselves, because they cannot insulate themselves from what goes on elsewhere. Sovereignty is no longer a sanctuary."

I could go on, but I don't want to make this a big post. This is a very brief bit of evidence.

So what if there are libertarians and Ron Paul supporters in CFR. Does that negate any possibility that CFR could be in the business of surrendering our sovereignty to globalist powers? You're the lawyer, would this argument win in court? Michael Scheuer is a Ron Paul supporter and was high up in the CIA and in Washington...does that mean the CIA and Washington are innocent?
    What it means is that just because someone is in the CFR doesn't mean they support things like the NAU and world federalism. I doubt Fred Thompson believes in those things. If you are a powerful Washington politician you can become a member of the CFR pretty easily. It's like the Rotary Club in that regard. All kinds of people are members. Many are what people now call "globalists" but many would not qualify for that. Hell, if I were invited to join the CFR I probably would because then I could meet a lot of interesting people (most of whom I disagree with, but it still would be cool to talk with them), get a subscription to "Foreign Affairs" magazine, and go to policy forums that they put on.

What is messed up, and therefore what I said was not a straw man argument, is that people on this forum say "he's CFR" and imply that that person is "in on" a conspiracy to take away our freedoms and give our government over to international bodies. It may be evidence of that, just as the fact that if someone is a Democrat it's evidence that they are more likely to be pro gun control, but it doesn't mean they are. Yes, the president of the CFR said that. But not every member believes that. Now, if you were discussing the communist party that would be different. But the CFR? Give me a break.

Have a friend who makes those calls...

Interestingly enough, 1 or 2 of the telemarketing places around here are making calls for Rudy and Freddy. An ex of mine works at one, and hears the script all the time. She tells me the callers hate making the calls, the people on the other end aren't exactly cheerful about it... it seems people aren't very receptive.

And no, it isn't cheap - the callers make 9 an hour, the call center got a very large check at the very start, and 80-90% of the donation is eaten up by all of the costs, just like any telemarketing operation.

What it means is that just because someone is in the CFR doesn't mean they support things like the NAU and world federalism. I doubt Fred Thompson believes in those things. If you are a powerful Washington politician you can become a member of the CFR pretty easily. It's like the Rotary Club in that regard. All kinds of people are members. Many are what people now call "globalists" but many would not qualify for that. Hell, if I were invited to join the CFR I probably would because then I could meet a lot of interesting people (most of whom I disagree with, but it still would be cool to talk with them), get a subscription to "Foreign Affairs" magazine, and go to policy forums that they put on.

What is messed up, and therefore what I said was not a straw man argument, is that people on this forum say "he's CFR" and imply that that person is "in on" a conspiracy to take away our freedoms and give our government over to international bodies. It may be evidence of that, just as the fact that if someone is a Democrat it's evidence that they are more likely to be pro gun control, but it doesn't mean they are. Yes, the president of the CFR said that. But not every member believes that. Now, if you were discussing the communist party that would be different. But the CFR? Give me a break.
    If it is so accessible and benign then why has Dr. Paul not been invited as a member? Hmm? 10 term Congressman? Presidential Candidate? Why no love for RP? Explain.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast