Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Progressive Rock / Progressive Metal Thread

Official Progressive Rock / Progressive Metal Thread

We have a thread about thrash metal, so let's split hairs and start a Progressive Rock/Metal thread. Basically what I am talking about is anything between Yes/Pink Floyd and Dream Theater and beyond...

I will start with one of the best of the genre in recent years: Pain of Salvation.

YouTube - Pain Of Salvation - Undertow [Ending Themes DVD]

YouTube - Pain of Salvation - Dea Pecuniae

Dea Pecuniae

[I. Mr. Money]

[Miss Mediocraty:]
    "Hey there sweetie. Don't I know you? I swear I recognize your face...
    and those beautiful eyes... You know, they say the eyes are the
    doorway to ones soul... There's a smile. A little shy, aren't we? Hey,
    do you wanna get out of here

[Mr. Money:]
    Hey Miss Mediocrity, gee, I'm sorry
    You've seen me on TV, I'm Mr. Money
    Now you want someone to hold you
    And call when you're in town
    Someone to calm you and confirm you
    Well, I'm here...
    ...to let you down
    'Cause outside these sexy cars
    And far from my trendy bars
    Behind these smiles...
    "...maybe go someplace..."
    ...And sunscreen...
    "...more quiet, where we could... you know... talk!"
    ...And "Live the Dream!"s...
    "...and get to know each other..."
    I am cold!
    "...no?"
    And mean!

"How about a ride in that Bentley up front? It's yours isn't it? I'll
    be a good girl, I promise!
    ...or bad...
    ...whatever you like!"

Daily Finance - that's me in the Armani
    Got
    Three Mercedes 350, two Ferraris
    I Could have bought a Third World country
    With the riches that I've spent
    But hey
    All modern economics claim that I deserved
    Every single cent
    And the one time I'm the lesser half
    Is when we split the tab
    So here's to Friends, Family and Liberty, Genuinity, here's to
    Happiness, Success, Good Press, No Stress...
    But most of all...

Here's to Me!
    Here's to Me!
    Here's to Me!
    There will be nothing left...
    So...
    Here's to Me! ([Dea Pecuniae:] Oh baby, baby)
    Here's to Me! ([Dea Pecuniae:] I'll take care of you)
    Here's to Me!
    There will be nothing left...
    Nothing left...
    ...for you

[Dea Pecuniae:]
    "If you're looking for fulfillment
    A Kingdom and a Crown
    A Paradise of Free Rides
    I am here...
    ...to let you down
    I'll get you the sexy cars
    And a taste of divinity
    A glimpse of the Stars
    Immortality
    But then Vanity
    Will leave you dried and scarred
    ([Mr. Money:] That's right, oh, give it to me!)

Here's to Me! ([Mr. Money:] Oh baby, baby)
    Here's to Me! ([Mr. Money:] You'll take care of me)
    Here's to Me!
    To me"

[II. Permanere]

But then when it's silent
    And the lights from the bars go down
    I need comforting
    'Cause somewhere there deep inside
    Feelings of loss arise
    And I hate to lose!

[III: I Raise My Glass]

They say it's lonely at the top
    Then I'm as lonely as can be
    But I am not too sorry
    You see, I've chosen this company
    I got myself a winning team
    It's Me, Myself and I
    You bet it's lonely at the top old friends
    And I'm here today to tell you suckers why!
    (Dea Pecuniae!)
    Dea Pecuniae
    Money rules...
    They claim that I get paid for my big Responsibility
    But hey, you know...
    That is just a lame excuse
    For my egocentricity
    They say that we're really the same you and I
    And I truly do agree
    You see
    Just like me
    You live for me
    Until the day you die
    And so I raise my glass to all of you who really believe that I get
    paid for my big responsibility
    To all of you who suck it up and pay my debts
    To all of you who think that my lifestyle does not affect the environment
    Or the poverty
    Well, maybe not more than marginally anyway
    Good for you!
    And you know what?
    Here's to you...
    And I raise my glass, to those of you who give their piece of the cake
    for free, for me to throw in the face of democracy
    For those who help making solidarity ideologically untrendy
    And charity individualistically idiotic, unsmart and characteristically bendy
    I salute thee you poor bastards 'cause you all nod while I sit at your table
    So let's raise our glasses one last time, to give you all the greatest
    recognition and credit of all times - cause after all, let's face it;
    that's the only "thank you" you will ever get
    So come on now - raise your glasses!
    Here's to YOU
    There will be nothing left - no!
    Nothing left...
    ...but money

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An Endless Sporadic! These guys haven't even put out their first album yet and I'm already a fan.

YouTube - An Endless Sporadic - Anything

Here is a group I have been listening to for several years. Originally out of Venezuala, they now call Barcelona, Spain their home. RC2 is their name.

YouTube - RC2 Coming down again
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Thumbs up

YouTube - fugue 3

YouTube - bach concerto for 2 vlns, mvmt 1

If you like this, there's lots more on my youtube channel. (heavenlyboy34)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 06-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

What is 'progressive' metal?

All these 'metals' are getting me confused.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Progressive is characterized by extra emphasis on technical musicianship and complex song structures.

I like some prog (mostly other bands with progressive elements). Typically prog translates to boring half hour instrumentals with weird time signatures that die-hard prog dorks lap up while rolling their eyes at every non prog band for lack of Julliard level asshattery.

Progressive Rock?
    Got 8:33?
    They don't make stuff like this anymore.
    YouTube - Roundabout by Yes

YouTube - Yes "Owner Of A Lonely Heart"

I'll save RUSH for someone else.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

one word:

Rush.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

I was thinking, would Tool and Isis fall into prog? Then if so would Meshuggah?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    I'll save RUSH for someone else.
    Dreamline might be my new favorite song. I've probably listened to it 30 times in the last two days.
    YouTube - Rush - Dreamline 12-12-1991

YouTube - Subdivisions - Rush

Okay, so Anthem has more in common with straightforward 70s metal than prog rock, but it's still a classic.
    YouTube - SV - Rush - Anthem

YouTube - Rush - Limelight

And what list of Rush songs would be complete without Working Man?
    YouTube - Rush - Working Man
    "We travel on the road to adventure / On a desert highway straight to the heart of the sun / Like lovers and heroes, and the restless part of everyone / We're only at home when we're on the run / On the run..."
    -Rush, from the song "Dreamline"

Dude, this guy wears a friggin KFC bucket on his head!! (well that is until KFC made him stop..)

This will seriously rock your socks tho..

YouTube - Buckethead Soothsayer
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    I was thinking, would Tool and Isis fall into prog? Then if so would Meshuggah?
    TOOL is definitely "progressive rock", one of their main influences being "The Mars Volta", which hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. Meshuggah has TOOL influences but are a bit harder, and just enough to fall outside of the range of "progressive" .(again IMO)

I swear the devil himself comes out of Adam Jones when he plays guitar...

YouTube - Tool- H.
    Last edited by LATruth; 06-12-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Dude, this guy wears a friggin KFC bucket on his head!! (well that is until KFC made him stop..)

This will seriously rock your socks tho..

YouTube - Buckethead Soothsayer
    Buckethead is epic, I saw him at Bonnaroo ages ago. can't wait for the phish stream tonight from Bonnaroo!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm a huge rush fan but the fellow above pretty much has it covered.

Here is one of the craziest prog bands to ever grace my ears.

YouTube - Gentle Giant - Proclamation

YouTube - Gentle Giant - Playing The Game - Live 1978

YouTube - Gentle Giant - On Reflection - Live 1978

For a display of their singing harmonies.. amazing $#@!

Quote Originally Posted by give.me.liberty View Post
    What is 'progressive' metal?

All these 'metals' are getting me confused.
    Of course! More info than you ever wanted to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_metal

Progressive metal (sometimes shortened to prog metal) is a fusion genre; a mixture of progressive rock and heavy metal. Progressive metal blends the powerful, guitar-driven sound of metal with the complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, and intricate instrumental playing of progressive rock. Some progressive metal bands are also influenced by jazz fusion and classical music. Like progressive rock songs, progressive metal songs are usually much longer than standard metal songs, and they are often thematically linked in concept albums. As a result, progressive metal is rarely heard on mainstream radio and video programs.

The origins of progressive metal can be traced back to progressive rock bands from the late 1960s and early to mid-1970s such as Yes, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Focus, Renaissance, The Alan Parsons Project, early Queen, Kansas, Atomic Rooster, Uriah Heep and Rush. The latter five also often blended metal elements into their music. However, progressive metal did not develop into a genre of its own until the mid-1980s. Bands such as Fates Warning, Queensrche and Dream Theater took elements of these progressive rock groups primarily the instrumentation and compositional structure of songs and merged them with heavy metal styles associated with early Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden. The result could be described as a progressive rock mentality with heavy metal sounds.

The three flagship bands for prog metal of the time each had somewhat different sounds. Queensryche had by far the most melodic sound of the three and was ultimately the most commercially successful. Dream Theater drew most from traditional prog rock and also built much of their earlier career on the band members' instrumental skills, though later in their career they would abandon much of their more obvious prog rock influences (while retaining their prog complexity, however) in favor of a more edgy, modern prog metal sound. Fates Warning were the most aggressive and heavy and arguably had the most in common with the thrash and extreme metal scenes of the time, which led them to be the least accessible of the three bands, though they also had their own brief taste of commercial success with their Parallels album.

Progressive metal received mainstream exposure in the early 1990s when Queensrche's "Silent Lucidity" (from 1990's Empire) became a radio and MTV hit. It was not a typical progressive metal song, but its popularity increased the profile of other progressive metal bands. In 1993, Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under" (from 1992's Images and Words) became popular on radio and MTV. In the 1990s, bands such as Pain of Salvation, Tool, Opeth, Threshold, Symphony X and the project Ayreon developed their own signature sounds.

Pain of Salvation drew heavily on more obscure 1970s prog acts. Ayreon stayed with the traditional Prog Metal themes, but mixed them with many other influences, rock opera and ambient among more prominent ones. Symphony X married progressive elements to power metal and classical music. Steve Vai's former singer and heavy metal band Strapping Young Lad's singer and guitarist Devin Townsend combined elements of post metal and ambient with traditional progressive metal on his first two solo albums Ocean Machine: Biomech and Infinity. Opeth and Between the Buried and Me combined their prog influence with death metal. Another influence on prog metal were "technical metal" bands, such as Watchtower, Atheist, and Cynic, who utilized complex song structures and technical instrumental playing.

New Dream Theater... (thanks, Sevin!).

This new Dream Theater release is interesting. They have special editions available with no vocals, and one where they actually give you isolated instrument tracks ("producer" edition). You can remix, or substitute yourself (if you're a player).

I was looking forward to listening to the instrumental version before hearing the vocals...

Here's the first video (with vocals):

YouTube - Dream Theater - A Rite of Passage [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

In honor of the Iranian election (and our wonderful media), how about a political prog-metal song? Some people will really like Chris DeGarmo's t-shirt.

YouTube - Queensryche - Revolution Calling

I think Opeth wins at prog as well.

I always liked Dream Theater, but why on earth didn't they ever replace their vocalist? He tries to sing way to high for what he can actually pull off, usually it sounds "ok" on the CD and like garbage live. When you are actually at the show, their instruments are so loud you can't notice him so much, but when you hear a live recording it is just trash.

There was one I heard where they were playing "Pull Me Under" (I think) and he did so bad that he completely gave up about half way in, and then you hear Mike Portnoy bitching him out, assuming in front of the whole crowd because it was just a soundboard recording, and then they try the song again. He finishes it but it sounds horrible.

I sometimes wonder if it just an ego thing with them and they would rather deal with a bad singer who makes them look good over a talented singer who would make the band sound good.

Is psychedelic music fair game here?
    In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful.

The greater the state, the more wrong and cruel its patriotism, and the greater is the sum of suffering upon which its power is founded.

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold.

- Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    I always liked Dream Theater, but why on earth didn't they ever replace their vocalist?
    Many people ask that question. When they started, his style was popular. Kind of out of style for the past decade. If they wait long enough, he'll be back in style. Their newest release will include a special edition without vocals.

Mike Portnoy does work with some other singers though. Like Transatlantic.

Here's a Transatlantic video (a very stripped down song for them):

YouTube - Transatlantic-We All Need Some Light

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseDream View Post
    Is psychedelic music fair game here?
    If it's prog!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    If it's prog!
    But it has to be rock... I know a ton of progressive trance and dnb that be names but its not rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    If it's prog!
    Amon Duul II jamming
    YouTube - Amon Duul II - Kanaan

This is probably one of my most favorite songs ever. The quality here sucks, though.
    YouTube - Amboss 1/2 Ash Ra Tempel

Awesome drums
    YouTube - CAN - Halleluhwah

Popol Vuh, beautiful stuff.
    YouTube - Popol Vuh - Kyrie 1973

All from Germany.
    Last edited by TortoiseDream; 06-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful.

The greater the state, the more wrong and cruel its patriotism, and the greater is the sum of suffering upon which its power is founded.

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold.

- Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseDream View Post
    Popol Vuh, beautiful stuff.
    YouTube - Popol Vuh - Kyrie 1973
    That's not progressive rock, that's new age easy listening.

Quote Originally Posted by LATruth View Post
    That's not progressive rock, that's new age easy listening.
    I figured anything here was fair game: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1227

Besides just listen to it

- Leo Tolstoy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast