Thread: "Congress gives FDA authority to regulate tobacco"

Thumbs down "Congress gives FDA authority to regulate tobacco"

Obama is expected to sign this quickly.
    SOURCE:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...55A68920090611

I find it interesting that Congress is able to grant authority to the FDA that Congress itself does not posses.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And you are surprised why?

So now that soon tobacco companies will be following federal guidelines will it protect them from lawsuits?

Obamunism is SCARY!! ~shudders~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Ok, based on what we know of the Obama administration and our corrupt Congresscritters, what is there for them to gain out of this legislation?

Apart from this, that is?

It creates a new tobacco center within the FDA that will be funded by fees from the industry. Those fees are estimated to total more than $500 million annually by 2013, according to the Congressional Budget Office.
    Last edited by silverhawks; 06-12-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    People should not be afraid of their governments -
    governments should be afraid of their people.

In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.
    ~ Mark Twain

Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere: We Dare To Defend Our Rights!

DEA gonna start raiding small time questionably commercial tobacco farms? What about ones for personal consumption?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

LibForestPaul

Besides, sick cattle cost money. Time to tax soda, and FDA and beer?

This is absolutely SICK...just SICK. We can't stand for it. I don't even smoke but this absolutely disgusts me.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doesn't Obama smoke about 10 cigs a day? Though I could be wrong...that is just what the Palm Beach Post says.
    Rand Paul 2016

The government has a vested interest in protecting existing tobacco companies from competition.

This presents an opportunity.

If you use tobaaco, get around this by growing your own. Once you get established you will save alot of money, not even counting the federal taxes you get out of. Plus you are not paying state sales tax for your product either.

This is one area where we actually can hurt them more than they can hurt us.

"Oh, your going to make it more expensive to buy/harder to obtain something I want? Well now I'm just growing it in my back yard for free. Your losing tax money, and I have a better product with no harmful chemicals in it. $#@! you bitch!"

Just like all those Maryland millionaires who left because of higher taxes, now Maryland is bringing in LESS than before!

What if the FDA enforces a $100K per year tobacco growing license or some such?

Easy to see what this legislation is targeted at. Gotta fix the black market they created with the last tobacco law.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    What if the FDA enforces a $100K per year tobacco growing license or some such?

Easy to see what this legislation is targeted at. Gotta fix the black market they created with the last tobacco law.
    Not to mention if they kill the tobacco industry thats a $#@! load of people without jobs who are not paying taxes, in fact are collecting unemployment

It also bans Cherry Cigars, or other furit cigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    It also bans Cherry Cigars, or other furit cigs.
    Think of the children!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    DEA gonna start raiding small time questionably commercial tobacco farms? What about ones for personal consumption?
    Well, those for personal consumption are "negative affecting interstate commerce"
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's not funny in reality, but this does give me another opportunity to lol @ those like Theo who place their faith in the State. LOL @ statists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Well, those for personal consumption are "negative affecting interstate commerce"
    Stop, just stop !!!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Stop, just stop !!!
    You're right, I don't want to give them any ideas!