Thread: Reminting one side of junk silver coins with silver weight?

Reminting one side of junk silver coins with silver weight?

In the interest of restoring free market silver as a means of exchange, would it help to have stamps saying "5.625g Ag" and stamping them across one side of a 90% coin silver quarter? "Pound", "dollar", "peso", etc. were all originally measures of weight. Can't debase a gram. It might make the coin more useful as a barter item to have its silver weight stamped on it. Thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not sure what the point would be. If shtf, are you really going to trust the weight inprinted on the side of coin in such a manner? I wouldn't..

For this reason, my shtf horde is all in silver eagles. The complexity of the engraving, and the inherent physical qualities of 99% silver should at least give some semblance of legitimacy (although by no means perfect) in a chaotic scenario...

Besides that, the content of them didn't change for some 170 years.

Add to that the fact that old, worn ones won't weigh in at that exact weight. Grams to three decimal places? You'd be lying. Indeed, engraving that on them could knock the weight down by a tenth of a gram or more...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    For this reason, my shtf horde is all in silver eagles. The complexity of the engraving, and the inherent physical qualities of 99% silver should at least give some semblance of legitimacy (although by no means perfect) in a chaotic scenario...
    I'm a fan of silver eagles for exactly the same reasons you gave. My next choices in line are Morgan and Peace dollars, which are also clearly recognizable to almost anyone as currency, albeit very old currency.

I've noticed a lot of people tend to lean hard toward silver bullion. Even though most of it is stamped, I have to wonder how many people in the "mainstream" would recognize silver bullion as a valuable exchange commodity.

I try to carry around a few old Morgans or Peace dollars. Whenever I'm in a conversation and the topic turns to taxes, bailouts and the like (pretty common these days) I'll state that our monetary system isn't what it used to be. Then I'll drop a Morgan into the hand of whoever I'm talking with. It's always fun to watch their eyes light up. Invariably they'll heft the coin a few times and comment about how heavy it feels in comparison to today's coins. That gives me a chance to explain about the Federal Reserve, our fiat currency, and the departure of the U.S. from the gold standard, silver coinage, etc.

"Ever hear of Ron Paul? Seen the news about HR1207? Well, lemme tell ya...."

I used to collect silver eagles, but i've moved on to mexican silver libertads, because i get them at spot price in mexico and i can get them in 1oz, 5oz and even 1kg (though my supply is about 60% 1oz, the rest 5oz and one 1kg)

I have my own supply of U.S. silver coins (so-called "junk" silver coins) for such things as barter that I bought back in the 70s in $1000.00 face value lots. I actually like having them in the smaller denominations for that purpose. There's a lot of wealth in a gold-double eagle or even in a gold coin that doesn't have as much numismatic value. Of course, that's also the problem with the smaller denomination U.S. silver coins; they take up more space and weight when you're inclined to "move down the road", so to speak. For me, I like having a mixture that's roughly 50:50. Having bullion (silver or gold) presents potential recognition/acceptance problems, in private barter exchanges with the masses, that I would just as soon avoid.

Yeah, I don't really see the point, and junk silver does get worn down, changing the weight.