Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your Favorite Tomatoes to Grow... Pics & Recommendations?

I love good Roma Tomatoes.

They make the best sauce evah!! I make up big batches of tomato sauce and can them.

I also love growing grape tomatoes too.

I also like to make my own tomato ketchup.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I grow some Roma's and cherry tomatoes . Tasty.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I live in Southern california, have a black thumb, and I have trouble growing anything in the summer because of the high heat and drought combined with sandy soil. My only planting place is a south facing slope, so the sun beats on them all day. My all-time favorite great tasty and most successful tomato is Arkansas Traveler! This tomato will survive (and thrive) in almost any conditions and tastes amazing to boot. They are a gorgeous deep pink color when ripe. If you live in the south or west you should definitely give it a try. We saved seeds every year, so one plant has given me 4 years of tomatoes.

My favorite yellow tomato is Kellogg's Breakfast. It is sooo sweet and has a really deep flavor. These plants hold up pretty well too, though they need more shade than the Travelers.
    Last edited by craezie; 02-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Tonight , I got out the potting soil , grow light and planted some beefsteak tomatos and bell peppers in the basement . Tomorrow , I am going by the farm store and picking up seed potatoes and onion sets , a week from Sat . I will fertilize and till the garden . Saw a honey bee today on one of the Krokus blooming by the garage, of course , snow flurries in the forecast Sun when I plan to split wood

My little BeefSteak tomatos are two inches tall today , tilled the garden today , tomorrow , planting potatoes and onions.

I planted red and white onions and white potatoes today , I need to get some green onions .

I planted a rose bush today too , figured I got a steal on it at $3.21 .

Summer before last I grew cherry and Roma's in my flowerbed .

I wish I could remember.

Beefsteaks are all right but I did have a favorite I wanted to make sure I grew more of once. I think it may have been Early Girl or something with Boy in it.

The, " On the Vine" tomato's I'm getting here in California look like what I remember. They were covered in little orange specks.

Nice pictures people! They look vine ripe and I would imagine smell great.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I wish I could remember.

Beefsteaks are all right but I did have a favorite I wanted to make sure I grew more of once. I think it may have been Early Girl or something with Boy in it.

The, " On the Vine" tomato's I'm getting here in California look like what I remember. They were covered in little orange specks.
    Nice pictures people! They look vine ripe and I would imagine smell great.
    Well , last spring , I bought a few plants at the hardware store where I got my green onion sets ,they were called Big Boy , very good, excellent flavor , I remembered my Dad growing them in the 70's.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can never remember , so , I keep an empty seed pack or , if a plant , one of the little plastic identifiers they stick in them and lay it in the garage or in the basement until the next year .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-11-2012 at 09:47 PM.

There are probably , nearly 8000 varieties of tomatos .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.

There is also an Early Girl tomato , but cannot say , really if I have tried them .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.

If I was you , I would just pick up some Big Boy seeds and start your own in the house , easy to find , been around since 1949 , and ask your local plant place about some Early Girls and you should be covered.

There are heirloom tomatos with stripes you should try sometime , there are several varieties.

One of the more expensive ones is Eva's Amish striped , probably 2.50 for ten seeds , but there are others , Baker Creek will have some , they will be pricey too , but maybe you could find a variety local.

One thing to remember about Big Boys is , you need to use first generation seeds to get a good germination rate , so I have heard . If money is not a real problem , I suggest you get some heirloom seed catalogs and look through them.
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-20-2012 at 11:59 PM.

I am going to try some different sunflowers this year , picked up some gray stripe , do not think I have grown them before , I think the ones I have been Growing the last few years are Mammoth , or something like that ...
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-20-2012 at 11:58 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My Beefsteaks are now , about 3 1/2 inches tall , some sunflowers , Kentucky pole beans and green peppers are sprouting . Spring , is a good thing ....

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    There is also an Early Girl tomato , but cannot say , really if I have tried them .
    I always plant some Early Girls. They produce all season long, medium size and fairly sweet. Can use them for anything.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Your OP list looks great. Here's a few other heirlooms I thought of.... try a green zebra):

Last edited by anaconda; 03-21-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    There are heirloom tomatos with stripes you should try sometime , there are several varieties.

If memory serves, these striped tomatoes can have really interesting textures and flavors you wouldn't expect from a tomato.

A local place is offering Japanese black truffle tomato plants.. Anyone ever tried these?
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Yes.
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I have not tried the black truffle, just saw it this year , was unaware of it , maybe next year I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    If memory serves, these striped tomatoes can have really interesting textures and flavors you wouldn't expect from a tomato.
    Everybody should try some if they have not , best BLT ever !
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-24-2012 at 11:27 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Yes.
    Well , do they taste like tomatos ??

Too early to set out any of my tomatos , but I did plant some lettuce , radishes green beans and sunflowers today , here in a couple weeks , I wil plant some more green beans , my onions are about 4 or five inches tall already , evidently , they like the weather. Anybody have any suggestion on green bell pepper seed ? the past two years , I have tried to start a California variety indoors , I had purchased alot of these seeds and , I can only guess they are duds, germination rate of about nil.

I read an article once that said Ron grew/grows organic cherry tomatos. Maybe ask him or Carol what kind?

I finally found a different variety , Bonnie , for the bell peppers , I have planted about eight plants in the past eight days or so , so , hopefully , I will have luck with them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast