Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your Favorite Tomatoes to Grow... Pics & Recommendations?

What are your Favorite Tomatoes to Grow... Pics & Recommendations?

Since there are 100;s of different tomatoes and they vary quite a bit, I thought it would be nice to share views, experiences, and recommendations on strains of tomatoes.

Both OP (open Polinated) and Hybird tomato types.

Here's some of my past experiences and recommendations with tomatoes:

Recommend:
    Carbon
    Brandwine Sudduth Strain
    Purple Brandywine
    Brandywine OTV
    Marianna's Peace
    Caspian Pink
    Jersey Devil (paste)
    Opalka (paste)
    Costralee
    Cherokee Purple
    Earl Faux
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Black Krim
    Paul Robeson
    Black From Tula
    Purple Haze
    Dora
    Ramapo (Rutgers U.)
    San Marzano Redorta (paste)
    Steak Sandwich (hybird)
    Jet Star (hybird)
    Super Marzano (Hybird)

Monster Persimmons
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-11-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oooooh, I love those yellow ones!

I am getting good results with all the maters I set out this year; no heirlooms, tho.
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

For years I have stuck by ACE and German. Germens ripening real early. I tried Oregon Spring and they are fantastic keepers.

Varieties I'm growing this season:

Celebrity and ... I think Better Boy? For slicers.

Also Sweet 100 Cherry, and one of the little yellow pears.

Which, btw, I have two of the little yellow pears ALMOST ready to gather.

Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

Did you all try the Oregon Spring? They have thick skins and will last into Christmas in my kitchen window. They aren't as tasty as the others though

What are your Favorite Tomatoes to Grow... Pics & Recommendations?

Those golden yellow monsters are Persimmons. But in the trials of myself and friends last year, the flavor was not there. They were very high yielding, but kinda a disappointment on taste. We all agreed upon that conclusin.

For a yellow/golden tomato I would recommend:

Kellogg's Breakfast
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Dr Wyches
    I'm growing Aunt Gertie's Gold this year.

Here's very good site and fairly accurate or yield results and flavor for each tomato.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/w/inde...&until=Ispolin

Anything listed as OUSTANDING I would Try... and also EXCELLENT ratings, remember to check yield rating too... no sense to get the best tasting, only if gives you 4 or 5 tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post
    Oooooh, I love those yellow ones!

I am getting good results with all the maters I set out this year; no heirlooms, tho.

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I prefer sweet 100s for the cherry, but could not get them this year and decided to try some Julliette "grape" tomatoes. Haven't tasted them yet but the plants are doing very well. I'll let you know how they taste as soon as I can =)

I think the others I planted were Better Boy. Wish I would have thought to put in a couple of those golden tomatoes, they are good. The little pear tomatoes that are yellow and about the size of cherry tomatoes, but pear shaped - I like those to eat plain, and I bet they would be good in salads too.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

On Cherry tomatoes I guess the most desired for taste are Sun Gold. I grew Black Cherry last year and they were very good too, but I hear a new Chocolate cherry is even better.

This year I am growing one small tomato called Sprite for the first time. I hear mixed reviews but say: Very sweet, very early, very prolific, easy to grow.

http://www.cherrygal.com/tomatodetsp...w-p-12406.html

I hear Isis Candy cherry tomatoes are very good too. If they are Open pollinated heirloom, you can save the seeds and grow next year. Can't do that with the Hybird plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I prefer sweet 100s for the cherry, but could not get them this year and decided to try some Julliette "grape" tomatoes. Haven't tasted them yet but the plants are doing very well. I'll let you know how they taste as soon as I can =)

I think the others I planted were Better Boy. Wish I would have thought to put in a couple of those golden tomatoes, they are good. The little pear tomatoes that are yellow and about the size of cherry tomatoes, but pear shaped - I like those to eat plain, and I bet they would be good in salads too.

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any tricks for getting the plants to hurry up a bit?

Looks like I'm a month or better away from getting any pictures of mine.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

Large Cups and containers - did you know mature tomato plant roots can grow to a 4ft diameter and 3 feet deep? Roots can grow 1in / day.
    Very loose soil and perlite/vermiculite is an accelerator for the fragile roots
    You know that Miracle-Gro blue stuff? put one tablespoon into a gallon jug of water. No more than that amount for your plants!
    heat and sunlight help
    >>> Don't over water your seedlings/plants

Here's good place to checkout growing soils for your seeds/plants:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/pottingsoil.htm

Seed starter advice links:
    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci...cap/h1139w.htm

http://www.backyardgardener.com/soil/soil5.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    Any tricks for getting the plants to hurry up a bit?

Looks like I'm a month or better away from getting any pictures of mine.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-11-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I use the square foot gardening mixture - the tomatoes, cukes and cantaloupe are doing extremely well.

The mix is (by volume) 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 compost (my compost I actually use a mix that I make myself of steer manure, turkey manure, and wood compost. I have two 8 foot x 4 foot beds, six inches deep. I do NOT work this into the soil, I just plant directly into this mixture, and really everything other than the strawberries are doing extremely well in it.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

I have a Sungold Cherry plant that is just exploding everywhere..

You can see it in my garden thread here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=195472

It's best viewed in the second to last picture, you can see it heading up the arch trellis

I'm also growing a peacevine that I finally got sprouted, it's doing really well now.

http://www.dianeseeds.com/tomato-peacevine-cherry.html

If I could only grow one cherry tomato, this would probably be it. Peacevine Cherry is an early, productive, crack-resistance and full-flavored variety. It was the earliest tomato in my garden in 2007. Occasionally, a plant may produce yellow fruits, but all of mine were red.

Peacevine Cherry tomato is known for its high levels of viatmin C and a certain amino acid that relaxes the nervous system. Maybe it's my imagination, but I sure felt happy when I was eating these tomatoes in the garden.

Last edited by dannno; 06-11-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    Large Cups and containers - did you know mature tomato plant roots can grow to a 4ft diameter and 3 feet deep? Roots can grow 1in / day.
    Very loose soil and perlite/vermiculite is an accelerator for the fragile roots
    You know that Miracle-Gro blue stuff? put one tablespoon into a gallon jug of water. No more than that amount for your plants!
    heat and sunlight help
    >>> Don't over water your seedlings/plants

Here's good place to checkout growing soils for your seeds/plants:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/pottingsoil.htm

Seed starter advice links:
    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci...cap/h1139w.htm

http://www.backyardgardener.com/soil/soil5.html
    Thanks and archived.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    Thanks and archived.
    Watch out for the Miracle Gro Blue! That's some Monsanto BS..not good for your garden, but the rest of the advise about soil is great!

But what about the blue stuff itself? Well, as an entirely organic gardener, I don't use synthetic fertlizers like Miracle Gro or Osmocote. These chemical fertilizers are by-products of the petroleum industry, they're salt-based, and they're almost always overkill. Runoff of fertilizer chemicals in to streams and water supplies is a serious problem. You're also more likely to burn plants by using too much synthetic fertilizer, and you can even hurt the soil: there's nothing like high-nitrogen chemical lawn fertilizer to damage your earthworm population.

On the other hand, organic fertilizers like fish emulsion, bone meal, kelp meal, etc. are food for beneficial organisms that live in the soil and help feed plant roots. Worm castings, manure, and compost are full of beneficial microbes, as are many organic fertilizers that have species of good bacteria and fungi added. So when you add these organic products to the soil, you're not just feeding your plant, you're feeding the soil your plant lives in.

Organic fertilizers may work more slowly, but think of them as a complete meal. Synthetic fertlizers are a pill, and since they only contain a few major nutrients, it's not even like feeding your garden a multivitamin--it's more like feeding it vitamin C, D, and E and figuring that's enough.

So--no thanks, Scotts. No thanks, Miracle-Gro. If I need an arsenal of chemicals to keep my garden growing, I'll pass on the whole thing and read a good book instead.

The only thing I'll disagree with in there is about the multi-vitamin analogy.. I'd say chemical fertilizing is more like giving your plant a complete amino acid supplement without giving it vitamins and carbs and other nutrients..sort of.. but again really organic gardening is about the health of the soil first, then the plants.

Using chemical fertilizers actually makes growing hydroponically a bit easier, and since you don't have soil it works out pretty well.. though I'd go with General Hydroponics instead of Monstanto's Miracle Gro.
    Last edited by dannno; 06-11-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I just need to start even earlier next year with a greenhouse since all of my stuff was seed. The weather shut me out for about 3 wet weeks when my plants were actually ready to go outside. I could of repotted my plants and kept them moving along with a greenhouse where a lot of them were stunted in the house.
    At least the drought is over.

That time of the year to start all the seeds, etc.

New Varieties for this year:

Aunt Ruby's Green (EXE - SWEET FAV Green)
    Mike's Australian (Outstanding RED Heart)
    LUCKY CROSS PL (OUTSTANDING yellow with pink streaks)
    Elbe PL (EXE - YELLOW/Gold Sweet/tart)
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian (FAV/OUTSTAND)
    Dr. Wyche's Yellow (EXE)
    Sakharnyi Zheltyi/Sugary Yellow (FAV)
    Justine Heart (FAV/EXE)
    Tappy's Finest (OUSTANDING huge PINK beefsteak)
    Mama Irene's PL (Outstanding beefsteak)
    Mawlenowe RL (OUSTANDING 8-12oz)
    Purple Brandy PL (OUTSTANDING Huge DK PINK beef)
    Provenzano (EXE-Italian HUGE RED/OR Oxhearts)
    German GIANT (OUTDSTANDING GREEN!)
    Sara's Galapagos - OUTSTANDING CHERRY
    Gruntovyi Gribovsky 1180 (Blood Red Cherry Tomato 1-3 oz) VERY SWEET FAV.
    Polan (EXE intense sweet 2-4oz)
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian RL(OUSTANDING SWEET)
    Mazarini WL(EXE Heavy setter MED-LG Heart shaped)
    Heatherington Pink RL (OUTSTANDING LG PINK beef)
    DR LYLE (INCREDIBILY RICH EXE Sweet flavor)
    Reif Italian heart (GREAT TASTE Larger tan RED REIF HEART)
    GIANT Belgium (OUTSTANDING 2-5LB LG PINK beefsteak)
    Brandywine Cowlick's or Sudduth Strains (EXE flavor)
    SAKHARNYI PUDOVICHOK*****
    Koroleva (Queen) (VG/EXE - Family FAV)
    Brad's Black Heart (Great FAV)
    Lyubitel'skiy (EXE - Pink beefsteak)

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This year I am growing one small tomato called Sprite for the first time. I hear mixed reviews but say: Very sweet, very early, very prolific, easy to grow.
    How did those turn out for you? It looks a lot like something I grew last year that was labeled "jet star" -- but the images for jet star online don't look like what i got. What I got looks just like those "Sprite". To say it was prolific is an understatement of the tallest order. That thing put out more tomatoes by total volume than anything I have ever grown. I was going to try jet star again, but I have a hunch it wasn't really jet stars.

Love the white currant tomato variety. It is an heirloom. It is indeterminate, smaller than grape varieties, and highly productive. Grows extremely well in less-than-ideal sun conditions (such as 2-3 hours of sun, max, per day).
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

The Sprite tomatoes were AWFUL, not sweet at all, kinda bitter. Yuk

I do once in awhile grow a hybird... Steak Sandwich is about the best tasting, but I always bread Heirlooms Indeterminate. I save the seeds of the very best and regrow, select the very best the next season on. Quality and generational improvements have worked out great... checkout that 3lb 13oz baby.

I like all the varieties... By as far a golden/yellow: Aunt Gertie's Gold is the best. and Green: German Giant. Haven't done a white, think I will. I

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    How did those turn out for you? It looks a lot like something I grew last year that was labeled "jet star" -- but the images for jet star online don't look like what i got. What I got looks just like those "Sprite". To say it was prolific is an understatement of the tallest order. That thing put out more tomatoes by total volume than anything I have ever grown. I was going to try jet star again, but I have a hunch it wasn't really jet stars.

I'm breading some unknown crosses... ones a Dagnesky x Lithuanian Pink that I call monster OXHEART and the other was a very good heart and I call it "BUTTCHEEKS"

check them out from 2010

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 01-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Stop making me wish it was spring-time! Haha, looking forward to some actually ripe tomatoes from my garden in a delicious BLT....YUM.
    Forget Ron Paul 2012- RON PAUL FOREVER!

Check out my zazzle store- http://www.zazzle.com/jvparkour*

That time of the year to start all the seeds, etc.

New Varieties for this year:

Aunt Ruby's Green (EXE - SWEET FAV Green)
    Mike's Australian (Outstanding RED Heart)
    LUCKY CROSS PL (OUTSTANDING yellow with pink streaks)
    Elbe PL (EXE - YELLOW/Gold Sweet/tart)
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian (FAV/OUTSTAND)
    Dr. Wyche's Yellow (EXE)
    Sakharnyi Zheltyi/Sugary Yellow (FAV)
    Justine Heart (FAV/EXE)
    Tappy's Finest (OUSTANDING huge PINK beefsteak)
    Mama Irene's PL (Outstanding beefsteak)
    Mawlenowe RL (OUSTANDING 8-12oz)
    Purple Brandy PL (OUTSTANDING Huge DK PINK beef)
    Provenzano (EXE-Italian HUGE RED/OR Oxhearts)
    German GIANT (OUTDSTANDING GREEN!)
    Sara's Galapagos - OUTSTANDING CHERRY
    Gruntovyi Gribovsky 1180 (Blood Red Cherry Tomato 1-3 oz) VERY SWEET FAV.
    Polan (EXE intense sweet 2-4oz)
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian RL(OUSTANDING SWEET)
    Mazarini WL(EXE Heavy setter MED-LG Heart shaped)
    Heatherington Pink RL (OUTSTANDING LG PINK beef)
    DR LYLE (INCREDIBILY RICH EXE Sweet flavor)
    Reif Italian heart (GREAT TASTE Larger tan RED REIF HEART)
    GIANT Belgium (OUTSTANDING 2-5LB LG PINK beefsteak)
    Brandywine Cowlick's or Sudduth Strains (EXE flavor)
    SAKHARNYI PUDOVICHOK*****
    Koroleva (Queen) (VG/EXE - Family FAV)
    Brad's Black Heart (Great FAV)
    Lyubitel'skiy (EXE - Pink beefsteak)
    Do you start yours in a greenhouse? I usually start mine about a month before I can plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Do you start yours in a greenhouse? I usually start mine about a month before I can plant.
    Yes I do them 2 months ahead... on the small business level/small farm.

I also donate seedling plants to preschools for the kids to learn about growing and caring for plants.

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

We are trying all of these for the first time this year (just started them today):
    Tsar's Royal Gift
    Riesentraube
    Black Icicle

We are very excited to see how they do!
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

My favorites are

Sun Gold
    Black Prince
    Red Pear
    Green Zebra
    Brandywine
    Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The best fertilizer I've found for tomatoes is Schultz Bloom. It's designed for flowers. The vines burst into bloom. Lots of blossoms = lots of tomatoes.

I'm a big believer in adding trace minerals. Plants need trace minerals, and even good stuff like manure and compost can be low in them.

bone meal
    greensand
    rock phosphate
    kelp meal

and
    bat guano
    Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com

Those golden yellow monsters are Persimmons. But in the trials of myself and friends last year, the flavor was not there. They were very high yielding, but kinda a disappointment on taste. We all agreed upon that conclusin.

For a yellow/golden tomato I would recommend:

Kellogg's Breakfast
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Dr Wyches
    I'm growing Aunt Gertie's Gold this year.

Here's very good site and fairly accurate or yield results and flavor for each tomato.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/w/inde...&until=Ispolin

Anything listed as OUSTANDING I would Try... and also EXCELLENT ratings, remember to check yield rating too... no sense to get the best tasting, only if gives you 4 or 5 tomatoes.
    Bump for the great link. Also just because this is a great thread.

Favorite ? I like them all.

No German Johnson? Seems to be the only type of tomato people want where I'm at in NC

We grew some heirloom Rutgers tomatoes last year and they were mind-blowing! So flavorful you could eat 'em straight up, and so juicy you had to eat 'em over the sink.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    We grew some heirloom Rutgers tomatoes last year and they were mind-blowing! So flavorful you could eat 'em straight up, and so juicy you had to eat 'em over the sink.
    Thats how you know you got a good one , when you have to step out on the porch and eat it or eat it over the sink or trash can .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast