Thread: Fenced Chicken Coop/Garden from BWH

Fenced Chicken Coop/Garden from BWH

Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's very cool. I wish I could get access to some cheap fencing.

The surrounding fence, without a fencing or netting covering the top opening, would do little to stop the worst predators, including raccoons, hawks, owls, ferrets.

I wish my zoning would allow chickens. I've considered raising rabbits. Of course the biggest challenge to either of those would be convincing the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by raystone View Post
    The surrounding fence, without a fencing or netting covering the top opening, would do little to stop the worst predators, including raccoons, hawks, owls, ferrets.
    Wild ferrets?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Wild ferrets?
    Apparently some exist in SD and WY.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-footed_Ferret

But they are endangered, so I don't think we should block their access to our chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    Apparently some exist in SD and WY.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-footed_Ferret

But they are endangered, so I don't think we should block their access to our chickens.
    There are also weasels, mink, fishers, martens, and a variety of other small predators.

I recommend flooring the yard of the coop with mesh wire as well. The grass will grow through. Many predators dig.

www.nwcoa.com
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

The biggest problem I have had is with opossums. They will get in and eat the guts out of a sleeping chicken, then go into another area and go to sleep. I've had that happen twice in the past five years and always located the predator and eliminated it with my 22lr.

The second biggest problem I have encountered is dogs. People don't seem to love their dogs enough to keep them home. Roaming dogs can do a tremendous amount of damage in a very short time.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wish my zoning would allow chickens. I've considered raising rabbits. Of course the biggest challenge to either of those would be convincing the wife.
    http://henspa.com/hencondo.htm

Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

We just got our first chickens last month! They're fun and hilarious. We have a dozen of them.
    For Liberty - Feature-length doc about the 2008 R3V | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post
    LOL, the rooster would be a dead giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    LOL, the rooster would be a dead giveaway.
    LOL! When we lived in Austin we lived in the middle of nowhere, but technically chickens were illegal. Some of our neighbors had them though, and that's exactly how we knew.

Our biggest predator problem would likely be coyotes. They're abundant here.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    There are also weasels, mink, fishers, martens, and a variety of other small predators.

I recommend flooring the yard of the coop with mesh wire as well. The grass will grow through. Many predators dig.

www.nwcoa.com

You about have to bury the perimeter wire a couple of foot. I think that netting they use in bating cages would work well for a top cover.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    You about have to bury the perimeter wire a couple of foot. I think that netting they use in bating cages would work well for a top cover.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I did, except I bent the wire outward for around 3 feet. When they get to the fence, they dig down and run into the wire. Seems they never get the idea to start digging 3 feet from the fence.

That's awesome! My neighbors would be good with it, too. Now the trick is convincing the wife. Although ... if sticking to hens for eggs, it might be possible. It's the "basement butchering" that gets the strongest objections.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did, except I bent the wire outward for around 3 feet. When they get to the fence, they dig down and run into the wire. Seems they never get the idea to start digging 3 feet from the fence.
    That works too, and I often use that method on an established coop or a yard too big to floor, or in a place where hiding the mesh in a manicured yard is essential. But just laying floor netting on the ground before building the rest of the pen is much less labor intensive than digging the trench.

You can also lay the mesh wire on the ground outside without trenching and simply stake it down and bury the first 6 inches with just a little covering to hide it. Also less labor intensive than digging the trench.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That works too, and I often use that method on an established coop or a yard too big to floor, or in a place where hiding the mesh in a manicured yard is essential. But just laying floor netting on the ground before building the rest of the pen is much less labor intensive than digging the trench.

You can also lay the mesh wire on the ground outside without trenching and simply stake it down and bury the first 6 inches with just a little covering to hide it. Also less labor intensive than digging the trench.
    Yeah, I only lifted the sod enough to put the wire under it. So far it has worked very well.

That would make it awfully hard to till the soil...
    Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanduff View Post
    That would make it awfully hard to till the soil...
    Chickens and plants don't work well together. Chickens will dig up the plants and eat them.

Of course if you are rotating the chicken run with the garden every year, it would work just fine.

Ugh, here, too. But we said the hell with it and got one from my husband's work (it was a free-range defector). We brought it home and built a little fenced in area in the garden. Henny was great until she disappeared. We heard tell that she had taken up quarters at an auto shop across town. We couldn't find her there, though. I can't imagine how she made it that far, wish we had a chicken cam.

I've been thinking a lot about rabbits lately, too.

Good idea and a lot less labor intensive.
    Come to think of it I have had success with that method keeping digging dogs in.
    The dogs never figured it out either.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    Good idea and a lot less labor intensive.
    Come to think of it I have had success with that method keeping digging dogs in.
    The dogs never figured it out either.
    Digging dogs also seem to HATE steel toed boots and fists...

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Wild ferrets?

Yeah, their KILLERS !

Actually, I meant weasels

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's great! At least, the chicken model, anyway. The rabbit ones seem designed for raising rabbits as pets rather than meat.

I still like the OP chicken/garden combination.

Ok, after reading this and looking into it I've realized that I can probably house a two chicken coop in my yard.

I brought it up to the wife and at first she said no...mainly because we have raccoons, black snakes, possums (maybe crabs if they were to wander too far) and she didn't want the chickens to get hurt. She pretty much wants a guarantee that they won't get eaten by wild critters.

I think I could probably build a fort knox style coop.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Little off the topic but does anyone here like the idea of adding two or three feeder hogs into the chicken/rabbit garden combo.
    They till better than a Troybilt and fertilize all the way as they go.
    I need to dig my mini-farm thread back up.