Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What food-bearing trees do you grow?

What food-bearing trees do you grow?

I planted 6 apple trees this spring. I'm espalier pruning them according to this method: http://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com....espaliers.html

I'm thinking about paw-paw and hazelnuts for next year. Has anybody here had much experience with either?

My space is far from unlimited. Hazelnuts seem to be a good nut option since they aren't as big as most others.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't answer this guy- he is definitely CIA/Mossad- here to gather data mining info on right wing extremist!
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

It takes quite a long time before you get any fruit/nuts from trees.

I planted Carpathian walnut trees around 20 years ago and have been getting nuts from them for the past 9 years.

I have planted apple, pear, Hazel nut, Elderberry and Pecan trees since then, and am still waiting for them to mature.

I have one apple down near the creek. I've only been able to get a couple of apples off of it - the racoons and birds usually get all the fruit before I do.

I have two peaches. So far, it has tended to be that when one hits, the other doesn't.

There are three figs on the property - two planted in total shade so they don't fruit at all and struggle just to survive. The other one fruits but the critters usually get the figs before I do, lol.

I have one grapefruit. Something has gotten the fruit as soon as it sets every year until this past year. I got FOUR grapefruit off of the tree in late December and oh goodness they were WONDERFUL!

There are lots of native pecans and a few hybrids on the property, too.

I'd like to set out several additional fruit trees this fall, probably two more apples, a couple of pears, and a couple more peaches. Maybe a kumquat. I'd also like to put in a grape arbor eventually...
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

What kind of weather are you in?

If it doesn't get too cold, avocados have a lot of protein and good fats.. they are very healthy. I have a small tree, but not fruiting yet.

I have a dwarf lime tree that is fruiting. I also have an apple tree, two apricot trees and two fig trees on the property i'm renting. The apricots are almost ready. The first harvest of figs are almost ready, it was light, but it looks like the fall harvest is going to be really good.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    It takes quite a long time before you get any fruit/nuts from trees.

I planted Carpathian walnut trees around 20 years ago and have been getting nuts from them for the past 9 years.

I have planted apple, pear, Hazel nut, Elderberry and Pecan trees since then, and am still waiting for them to mature.
    The time it takes to get fruit/nuts is a bummer ... but they'll never produce if they aren't planted. I've cut down most of the bushes and shrubs around the house since I bought it. If I can't eat it, I'm not trimming it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What kind of weather are you in?

If it doesn't get too cold, avocados have a lot of protein and good fats.. they are very healthy. I have a small tree, but not fruiting yet.

I have a dwarf lime tree that is fruiting. I also have an apple tree, two apricot trees and two fig trees on the property i'm renting. The apricots are almost ready. The first harvest of figs are almost ready, it was light, but it looks like the fall harvest is going to be really good.
    PA/Zone 6. Not ideal avocado weather. We have a dwarf lemon tree that we bring in for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post
    I have one apple down near the creek. I've only been able to get a couple of apples off of it - the racoons and birds usually get all the fruit before I do.

I have two peaches. So far, it has tended to be that when one hits, the other doesn't.

There are three figs on the property - two planted in total shade so they don't fruit at all and struggle just to survive. The other one fruits but the critters usually get the figs before I do, lol.

I have one grapefruit. Something has gotten the fruit as soon as it sets every year until this past year. I got FOUR grapefruit off of the tree in late December and oh goodness they were WONDERFUL!

There are lots of native pecans and a few hybrids on the property, too.

I'd like to set out several additional fruit trees this fall, probably two more apples, a couple of pears, and a couple more peaches. Maybe a kumquat. I'd also like to put in a grape arbor eventually...
    It's no fun to lose food to the critters. I put in a half dozen grape vines about 4 years ago. This will probably be my first year to get grapes. (nasty deer seem to like the young vine growth)

I planted asparagus and rhubarb this year. Next year I'm also hoping to add arctic kiwi to the mix. Nothing ever goes after rhubarb. The critters seem to leave the asparagus alone too. From what I read, paw paw is virtually pest-free.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am in zone 9 and I have
    3 peach trees,
    3 apple trees,
    7 banana trees,
    10 cherry trees,
    5 chestnut trees,
    8 plum trees
    1 pecan tree
    1 black walnut tree

here is an overview of my garden if you are interested: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=190778
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

money trees. The little thieves from the IRS come around trying to pick the green ones.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I am in zone 9 and I have
    3 peach trees,
    3 apple trees,
    7 banana trees,
    10 cherry trees,
    5 chestnut trees,
    8 plum trees
    1 pecan tree
    1 black walnut tree

here is an overview of my garden if you are interested: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=190778
    That garden of yours is amazing, Kotin
    People should not be afraid of their governments -
    governments should be afraid of their people.

In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.
    ~ Mark Twain

Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere: We Dare To Defend Our Rights!

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    PA/Zone 6. Not ideal avocado weather. We have a dwarf lemon tree that we bring in for winter.
    Apparently these little fruit are extremely healthy:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ht=sea+berries

I'm going to try and grow some, but it looks like I'm not in the ideal climate. We'll see how it goes. They are grown in Russia and Canada and whatnot.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I'm going to try and grow some, but it looks like I'm not in the ideal climate. We'll see how it goes. They are grown in Russia and Canada and whatnot.
    Sea berries are definitely something I'll have to look into. Thanks for the info!

Tlor Tsiran Apricot from Raintree
    4-in-1 Pluot from Raintree
    Tri-Lite Peach Hybrid from Raintree
    All-in-One Almond from Raintree
    Kanko Apricot from Raintree
    Bongo Apricot from Raintree
    4-in-1 Asian Pear from Raintree
    NC-1 Paw Paw from Raintree
    Sunflower Paw Paw from Raintree
    Mango Paw Paw from Raintree
    3 Plum Trees from Walmart (marked down to $5 each, I think they're Santa Rosa)
    Kingston Black Apple from Trees of Antiquity
    Strawberry Parfait Apple from Trees of Antiquity
    Souvenir Du Congress Pear from Trees of Antiquity
    Che Fruit from Edible Landscaping
    Seckel Pear from Edible Landscaping
    Japanese Walnut from Edible Landscaping
    Howgate Wonder Apple that I grafted myself from scion wood obtained through Seed Savers Exchange
    Winesap Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Calville Blanc d'Hiver Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Lamb Abbey Pearmain Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Api Etoile Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Gala Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Ashmeads Kernal Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Pink Pearmain Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Roxbury Russet Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Allington Pippin Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Muscat de Bernay Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Unknown pear from scions taken from tree on old local farmstead
    Indian Blood Peach grafted from scions taken at grandfathers farm
    Aerlie Red Flesh Apple grafted from scions taken at grandfathers farm
    Possible Gravenstein Apple grafted from scions taken at neighbors
    Schweizer Wasserbirne Pear grafted from USDA germplasm repository
    Hessle Pear grafted from USDA scions
    Rousselet de Reims Pear grafted from USDA scions
    Perazola Pear grafted from USDA scions
    Barland Pear grafted from USDA scions
    Bitter Lemon from McKenzie Farms (Cold hardy citrus)
    Citrumelo from McKenzie Farms
    Citrange from McKenzie Farms
    Little Leaf Walnut from Madrone Nursery
    Arizona Walnut from Madrone Nursery
    Paradox and Northern California Black Walnuts from a seed saver and burl wood vendor
    A woods full of Eastern Black Walnuts, Hickories, Persimmons and Northern Pecans

Zone 6b, 10.5 acres.
    Last edited by XNavyNuke; 06-02-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Bold links
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Tlor Tsiran Apricot from Raintree
    4-in-1 Pluot from Raintree
    Tri-Lite Peach Hybrid from Raintree
    All-in-One Almond from Raintree
    Kanko Apricot from Raintree
    Bongo Apricot from Raintree
    4-in-1 Asian Pear from Raintree
    NC-1 Paw Paw from Raintree
    Sunflower Paw Paw from Raintree
    Mango Paw Paw from Raintree
    3 Plum Trees from Walmart (marked down to $5 each, I think they're Santa Rosa)
    Kingston Black Apple from Trees of Antiquity
    Strawberry Parfait Apple from Trees of Antiquity
    Souvenir Du Congress Pear from Trees of Antiquity
    Che Fruit from Edible Landscaping
    Seckel Pear from Edible Landscaping
    Japanese Walnut from Edible Landscaping
    Howgate Wonder Apple that I grafted myself from scion wood obtained through Seed Savers Exchange
    Winesap Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Calville Blanc d'Hiver Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Lamb Abbey Pearmain Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Api Etoile Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Gala Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Ashmeads Kernal Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Pink Pearmain Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Roxbury Russet Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Allington Pippin Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Muscat de Bernay Apple grafted from Seed Savers scions
    Unknown pear from scions taken from tree on old local farmstead
    Indian Blood Peach grafted from scions taken at grandfathers farm
    Aerlie Red Flesh Apple grafted from scions taken at grandfathers farm
    Possible Gravenstein Apple grafted from scions taken at neighbors
    Schweizer Wasserbirne Pear grafted from USDA germplasm repository
    Bitter Lemon from McKenzie Farms (Cold hardy citrus)
    Citrumelo from McKenzie Farms
    Citrange from McKenzie Farms
    Little Leaf Walnut from Madrone Nursery
    Arizona Walnut from Madrone Nursery
    Paradox and Northern California Black Walnuts from a seed saver and burl wood vendor
    A woods full of Eastern Black Walnuts, Hickories, Persimmons and Northern Pecans

Zone 6b, 10.5 acres.
    Your place sounds like a squirrel's paradise!

How long ago have you had the paw paws ... have you had production from them?

Seckel pears are delicious. I hope to start some of those in the next couple years.

I planted a lemon, orange, apple, mango, allspice, banana, and cacao trees. They're almost all about waist high. The lemon is doing great, orange not much difference. Mango is starting to get some brown on the edges of the leaves, apple is growing great. The banana is growing well, I bought it about a foot tall. My allspice tree, I had planted almost on the corner of my lot outside of my fence near a vacant lot, when the lawn guy was mowing the lot he also took out my tree
    Also my cacao tree died, I got it as just a small twig with three leaves...the leaves just got more and more brown until they died.

I plan on getting a multi-fruit cherry tree, another allspice and maybe try the cacao again.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    Your place sounds like a squirrel's paradise!

How long ago have you had the paw paws ... have you had production from them?

Seckel pears are delicious. I hope to start some of those in the next couple years.
    Lots of squirrels back in the trees. Cats and dogs keep them out of the yard for the most part. This is only the second year on the Paw Paws. According to K State's page it looks like it will be a couple more years before I have fruit to sample.

If I were to get another Seckel, I would definitely purchase through Trees of Antiquity. I've been very pleased with the large caliper apple trees that I have purchased from them.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

peaches, pears, figs, and pecans.
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Just planted 2 apricot trees, hoping for the best!

I got my Sea Berries from One Green World and two of them died. The male and female are doing good. Also my pineapple guava is in good shape

Couple small apple trees and several hazelnut trees (they both grow like weeds here in Washington). The hazelnut trees produce several pounds of nuts yearly.

Looking to put in a few more apple trees. Not much else grows up here in Washington.
    Strength through Knowledge

"What's one more body in the foundations of your Utopia?"
    - This has been a message by Agent CSL.

Hello I only Joined this site to ask MR. Navy Nuke about his pears scions but I do believe in this sites mission and I do share the same political views but anyway if navy nuke could share / trade some scions of the following pears (or any other interesting new ones you may have gotten) I would like it.

Schweizer Wasserbirne Pear grafted

I have the following I can trade

Pears:
    warren
    atlantic queen
    verblu
    shinko (asian)
    megetsu (asian)
    orcas
    clapps favorite
    Beurre d'Anjou
    santa maria
    seckel
    ELM
    meadows
    flemesh beauty
    white doyyene
    Karl's Favorite
    warzinack (limited multiple grafts that took and cutting off the other grafts)
    . Fondante de Moulins Lille ?
    tennousi
    Petit Muscat (limited multiple grafts that took and cutting off the other grafts)
    Martin Sec (limited multiple grafts that took and cutting off the other grafts)

I like to eat dried apricots from Aldi while I shoot deer that eat my apples and pears . These are pre marinated deer .

Jan2017

I have about 15 red apricots and a handful of freestone peaches from the rootstock for those red apricots.

The Lovell peach rootstock is used in commercial orchards to graft peaches, apricots, plums - and even has been used for almonds
    experimentally in some Northern California enterprises.
    It is definitely NOT a dwarfing rootstock, and highly recommended.

The peach planted at the old site of the massive old oak tree cut down for more sun to the orchard
    (and plenty of toasty warm firewood for me and the Amish neighbor/family farm) -
    . . . probably has roots 50 foot deep - no sh!t -
    the smaller dwarfing Myrobalan plum rootstocks grafted with the typical commercial Blenheim apricot and a late-maturing sport variety
    were NOT deep rooting and don't/didn't survive drought - or wind - much at all. Not recommended.

That Lovell peach is my parent for rootstock cuttings - this year with irrigatable space for a couple hundred new starts using the (very) deep well irrigation - cost more than the 4 acres - but solar-powered water pumping will fill the cistern and the French orchard-inspired irrigation pools dug out for years that now are littering the acre and half being utilized - no rain surface drain-off is allowed.
    A couple bushels of its' smallish red blushed peaches towering over the eggplant - which leaves gets decimated by insects and rabbits usually.

French agriculture - and the Italians - come up with alot of great ideas that can be incorporated on a small scale too.
    Here's landscape engineering pic . . . gravity irrigation in medieval fields arranged radially near the Oppidum d'Ensérune, southern France.

The Oppidum d'Ensérune is an ancient hill-town (or oppidum) near the village of Nissan-lez-Ensérune, France,
    located between Béziers and Narbonne close to the D609 (formerly RN9) and Canal du Midi.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 03-30-2018 at 09:42 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm glad this thread was revived. I can now report that the paw paws produced in year four and they are very prolific. I tend to get a caterpillar infestation late every year as the fruit is ripening. They trees look pretty ugly but they haven't slowed the growth. I think by the time August comes around the tree are pretty much done growing through the season. As to sharing scion wood, I'm always happy to do that. Also, if you become a full member of Seed Savers Exchange you will find that there is a scion wood section in their annual yearbook.

XNN

I've Orange, Lemon, Tangerine, Grapefruit, red and green Grapes, Blackberries, Boysenberries, Blueberries, Plum trees, and Dragon Fruit. They each produce fruit. The plant I most want to have is Gooseberries, but can't find them anywhere locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaning Libertarian View Post
    I've Orange, Lemon, Tangerine, Grapefruit, red and green Grapes, Blackberries, Boysenberries, Blueberries, Plum trees, and Dragon Fruit. They each produce fruit. The plant I most want to have is Gooseberries, but can't find them anywhere locally.
    Have you tried California Rare Fruit Growers organization? They have chapters where they hold plant exchanges. You could probably find help in getting the right gooseberries for your growing area.

XNN

I went Mon and looked at some plum trees . I am undecided. I still plan to add another Cherry and Peach or two .

My apricot blossoms got killed by a late frost for the third year in a row.
    My almond is doing fantastic though... everyone keeps asking what kind of ornamental cherry it is.
    Last two years the winters were mild enough that we got good fig harvests. Last summer I almost got sick of fresh figs.
    Almost.
    This is all on a 1/4 acre lot in a neighborhood in zone 7. I wish I remember what kind of fig it is... it's a cold hardy variety. I may plant more trees as it's one of the things the deer don't decimate the second it starts to grow.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I have one Morning Wood tree, but I do not believe Crotchfruit is accepted by the community as a source of nutrition.

(sorry, i just could not resist the urge to post that)
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast