Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Schiff: Let's Turn the GOP into the Libertarian Party

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good Job Peter Schiff 2010!
    Keep up the good work everyone, we all play a part; the world is watching and we are on stage!

http://www.endthefed.us/

www.dailypaul.com

http://www.prayforpaul.com/prayers.html

www.campaignforliberty.com

Was this well received? LOL
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Peter Schiff was right... again.

I agree with Schiff. We should also try to drag the Constitution Party into it. If you interpret their policy positions correctly (i.e. with respect to the Constitution) there are no differences between that and the LP which merit fussing over. The CP and LP should just work out their (minor) differences and merge.

The anarcho-capitalists need to realize that until we restore constitutional rule, they are just pissing in the wind. Once that huge task is accomplished, then they can split off to continue the revolution...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ducker View Post
    I agree with Schiff. We should also try to drag the Constitution Party into it. If you interpret their policy positions correctly (i.e. with respect to the Constitution) there are no differences between that and the LP which merit fussing over. The CP and LP should just work out their (minor) differences and merge.

The anarcho-capitalists need to realize that until we restore constitutional rule, they are just pissing in the wind. Once that huge task is accomplished, then they can split off to continue the revolution...
    yep, we need to focus on things of importance that we all agree on and not let things like abortion or flag burning amendments come between us when the economy,government and foreign policy is so screwed.
    "Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” Barry Goldwater

Sure thats all fine and dandy, but I'd still prefer a party without the bad history be the vehicle in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosControl View Post
    Sure thats all fine and dandy, but I'd still prefer a party without the bad history be the vehicle in the long run.
    Yeah. From a historical perspective, it would make more sense to try to retake the Democratic Party than to try to take over a party we never had in the first place.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by South Park Fan View Post
    Yeah. From a historical perspective, it would make more sense to try to retake the Democratic Party than to try to take over a party we never had in the first place.
    Well I suppose, but I was just thinking I don't much like the idea of associating with the party that's first president was responsible for the abolition of decentralized government and the beginning of meaningless warmongering.

But the Democrat party has done plenty of wrong as well.

I think we can use the trashy GOP in the short term, just long enough to where we have enough of a presence so that we can fix the laws that work to screw any third party's chances of winning anything. Then move on to a freedom party, whatever it may be called.

LOL! Good luck with that!

The GOP has been a lot closer to the LP stance than the Dems have been in a very long time, here's a short list of the last presidents from either party to espouse and adhere to constitutional rule:

GOP: Warren Harding, Cal Coolidge
    DEM: Grover Cleveland

Schiff hits the nail on the head here. So many mainline Republicans are dumb enough to just vote party line once Liberty Minded candidates emerge from republican primary races. They aren't going to vote Democrat, especially in Congressional races, Obama was an exception to the rule. People don't ordinarly get swept up in the euphoria of local Congressional races like they did in Obama's presidential run. I'm talking about the mainline Republicans who crossed over and voted for Obama.

LOL! Good luck with that!

The GOP has been a lot closer to the LP stance than the Dems have been in a very long time, here's a short list of the last presidents from either party to espouse and adhere to constitutional rule:

GOP: Warren Harding, Cal Coolidge
    DEM: Grover Cleveland
    Yeah, but that's still over eighty years ago. Why is trying to take over of the Democratic Party any more absurd than trying to take over the Republican Party?

Agreed, all the libertarian activist should first try to take over the GOP before trying to expand the LP.

Where can I watch this entire speech?

Yeah, but that's still over eighty years ago. Why is trying to take over of the Democratic Party any more absurd than trying to take over the Republican Party?
    The Democratic Party leadership is strong because they are producing results at the polls.
    The Neocon leadership is weak because they lost power.
    Thus the logical position is to go after the weakened party.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Whichever Party, I think we need to all be on the same page, here in Louisiana and other red states, the GOP is probably the best bet,perhaps in the blue states, the Democratic Party would be best.. Just my two devalued cents
    "Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” Barry Goldwater

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Where can I watch this entire speech?
    Campaign for Liberty I think.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    The Democratic Party leadership is strong because they are producing results at the polls.
    Okay, I can understand that, but then why weren't libertarians trying to take over the Democratic Party for the last eight years?

Great points.

Okay, I can understand that, but then why weren't libertarians trying to take over the Democratic Party for the last eight years?
    We didn't know we had the numbers until Ron Paul in 2008.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Deleted because of irrelevancy
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.

Millard Fillmore.

We didn't know we had the numbers until Ron Paul in 2008.
    And if you looked at the results, we still don't have the numbers. 1.2 million out of 20 million primary voters doesn't win the election. We should probably face the fact that we can't beat the statists playing by their rules. Our efforts would probably be put to better use trying to obtain state- and local-level office rather than federal office.

And if you looked at the results, we still don't have the numbers. 1.2 million out of 20 million primary voters doesn't win the election. We should probably face the fact that we can't beat the statists playing by their rules. Our efforts would probably be put to better use trying to obtain state- and local-level office rather than federal office.
    Small Minds.
    The numbers I am talking about are the numbers of people who show up to GOP meetings and to GOP caucuses when officers are elected.
    1.2million people don't show up for these things, only a handful.
    And also- in the LP only a handful show up for these things.
    We need that handful, to go with our current handful, and we will have super majority.
    99% of the people who vote republican don't participate in the party politics.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are more Libertarians in the republican party than there are in the Libertarian party. And that is the truth. If you are a libertarian minded person and you feel you have to choose between Democrats and Republicans, you almost always go with Republicans.

Many many people just want the government to get the hell out of their lives. Convince people you can and will do just that, and you will get elected over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Stary Hickory View Post
    Many many people just want the government to get the hell out of their lives. Convince people you can and will do just that, and you will get elected over and over.
    I wish. If a politician told veterans that the government was never able to keep its promise to them, do you think that politician would be reelected?

Personally, I'd hope the people would just suck it up and reclaim responsibility for their lives, but when the going gets rough ... people tend to look beyond themselves to bail themselves out of a mess.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 05-31-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Use the LP mouse to scare GOP elephants.

Schiff has an easier job libertarianizing the GOP in CT than others do in Social Con. states.

The LP is needed in those places to make the SoCons be reasonable, or lose to the Dems.

The LP is also a good proving ground for future GOP candidates everywhere.

We're using the LP as a carrot/stick to reward/punish Republicans, as required per each election/district, herding them toward libertarian policy goals.

Savvy politicians are figuring out that LP endorsements are a way to get "the Ron Paul people" without a word from The Man himself.
    This used to be a free system.

Wrong. The minarchists are the ones pissing in the wind. You will never be able to turn around an inherently evil organization that operates in a world of legalized plunder and violence as a means to "solve problems". Shrinking government is a fantasy. How is it different than trying to reform the KKK or the mafia?

I Am Not Convinced

Turn a party which has done nothing to stop the destruction of innocent life in the womb (except in word only) into a party which believes people have the liberty to determine for themselves whether life can be destroyed in the womb is hardly a beneficial change nor is it a worthy goal.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Small Minds.
    The numbers I am talking about are the numbers of people who show up to GOP meetings and to GOP caucuses when officers are elected.
    1.2million people don't show up for these things, only a handful.
    And also- in the LP only a handful show up for these things.
    We need that handful, to go with our current handful, and we will have super majority.
    99% of the people who vote republican don't participate in the party politics.
    Exactly! The vice chair of my local republican party is a C4L leader, this happened because we all ran for PCO positions at our precinct level, so they were able to vote on the local Republican party officers. I actually ran against the treasurer who was also running as a PCO in my precinct. I narrowly lost, I got 45 percent of the vote with no campaigning, she got about 51%. I will campaign in 2010, at least put up signs this time. The republican that ran against the democrat congressman in my district that's been in power forever also didn't lose by much. He was a Ron Paul supporter, and didn't take any lobby or PAC money. If he could have gotten some C4L money I think he could have done better. Since Norm Dicks voted for the war, and voted for the patriot act, and is also one of the biggest pork barrel spenders.
    "These photos that were requested in this case are not particularly sensational, especially when compared to the painful images that we remember from Abu Ghraib"- Obama
    So the torture pictures need to be sensation before they are released?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast