View Poll Results: What should happen to Puerto Rico?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give them State status

3 11.11%
  • maintain territory status

0 0%
  • Let them be independent

23 85.19%
  • other (specify)

1 3.70%

Thread: Should Puerto Rico get statehood?

Question Should Puerto Rico get statehood?

Why Are We in Puerto Rico?

(See article for detailed info) Should Puerto Rico be given State status, remain a territory, or be emancipated entirely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    who would want to join this union?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    who would want to join this union?
    Welfare queens and Statists, I suppose.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Welfare queens and Statists, I suppose.
    If you were a Statist with your own island, why join a union that would take your power of state?
    welfare queens maybe- but a state doesn't necessarily get back what it gives in taxes- so i wouldn't like that deal at all.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 09:27 PM.

They have the right to be independent, just like Texas, California, or South Carolina, if they so wished.

Absolutely not. We've got more on our plate than we can handle, obviously -- cut 'em loose. Unless we will care to admit that we are forcing ourselves upon them, intuitively, why would the people of a "territory" accept limbo status these many years, except that they are getting the better part of the bargain?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I say let them be free to screw up their country independent from us.

Give them a choice either A or B, but not kinda A and kinda B.

It is up to the people of Puerto Rico to decide. I lived in Puerto Rico a few times in San Juan and San German. During my first time living there, the US Navy was bombing one of their islands and the people were very upset. They kicked the US Military off the island and demanded to be left alone. It seemed that about 60% of the people there did not want statehood, but it is a definite heated debate.

We were/are in Puerto Rico for military reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiisb View Post
    We were/are in Puerto Rico for military reasons.
    And we shouldn't be!

I wouldn't mind Puerto Rico becoming another State same with Guam, Marshall Islands, Virgin Islands, etc. HOWEVER the problem is that once they are States our armed forces are committed to protecting them. For that fact alone it means an excessive amount of money spent extending a Navy, Air Force, and Army that far around the globe. I realize our military is spread around the globe already, but it shouldn't be. We are NOT the British Empire of old, nor should we strive to be.

I think the US should allow all non CONUS (excluding Hawaii / AK) US held property to be released for their own independence. We don't need an American Empire, and local control of government is better anyway. What do people in Washington know about how those in Guam want to be governed?

Here are two links on the subject that are an interesting read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_area
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_territory

Last edited by Matt Collins; 05-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

We cannot let them be a state, because 50 is such a nice number. 51 states?! psh.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    We cannot let them be a state, because 50 is such a nice number. 51 states?! psh.
    lol...nice logic there -but I agree at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRebel View Post
    states are gay
    lmao!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Statehood bears no advantage anymore. Whats the point of creating a state law the fed's can just override?