Thread: Liberty Tea! A Boston recipe from 1773!

Liberty Tea! A Boston recipe from 1773!

In 1773 the colonist dumped tea in Boston harbor... right? So what did they sip after that? Sweet Goldenrod tea of course. Yep, thats right, tea "made from equal parts of sweet goldenrod (solidago odora), betony, red clover, and New Jersey tea (Ceanothus americanus)".

Goldenrod (The Patriotic Species)

Sweet goldenrod, sometimes called blue mountain tea, has a rich history. Long before the arrival of Europeans, the Native Americans so appreciated its taste that they flavored other medicinals with it. After the Boston Tea Party in 1773, patriotic colonists devised a substitute for China tea called Liberty Tea, made from equal parts of sweet goldenrod, betony, red clover, and New Jersey tea (Ceanothus americanus). Later, sweet goldenrod became a cash crop in the United States; it was even exported to China, where it sold at high prices as a tea substitute.

To make tea from sweet goldenrod, harvest the plants just before they come into bloom, usually in August. If you wait too long, the leaves may have a slightly acrid or bitter taste. You may strip the leaves from the stems and place them on trays in a single layer or dry the stalks upside down in bundles and strip off the dried leaves. Provide good air circulation and avoid direct sunlight. When the leaves are thoroughly crisp, store them in jars with tight-fitting lids, out of the sun.

Use a teaspoonful of the dried herb to a cup of boiling water and steep five minutes or to taste. A half-and-half mixture of sweet goldenrod and peppermint makes an unusual, sweet beverage.

From an article by Jill Jepson in The Herb Companion, August/September 1993

Enjoy,

TMike
    Last edited by TruckinMike; 05-21-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    cool
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Hi Mike.
    Capitalists can exploit you only with your permission: by trading with you, selling to you, asking you to sell out.

Government exploits you at the point of a gun.

As long as you limit the power of the latter, the former can only exploit by providing better products, services and options. if they collude, then all bets are off. But that is a problem with government--in that case fascism--not capitalism.

-dew

Interesting tidbit. Also sounds like it might be quite refreshing.

Hey Mike!

I read somewhere that the boycott of English tea is what ushered in the love of coffee.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Hmmmmmmmm, I think I will try to grow these!

Hi everyone..

I found an online nursery that has the Sweet Goldenrod and New Jersey Tea.
    Shooting Star Nursery

When I get back home I'm going to check with my local nursey for availability.

It's time for a little LiberTea!

TMike
    Last edited by TruckinMike; 05-22-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Arklatex

Cool thread, I've had tea made from pine needles before. Tastes about like you expect. Also a invasive plant known as Indian Berry or False Strawberry, it grows everywhere here in Texas/Arkansas - it makes a good healthy tea.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMike View Post
    Hi everyone..

I found an online nursery that has the Sweet Goldenrod and New Jersey Tea.
    Shooting Star Nursery

When I get back home I'm going to check with my local nursey for availability.

It's time for a little LiberTea!

TMike
    Hey thanks! I have been searching for New Jersey Tea! Thats the only ingredient I cant seem to find here locally. I'll check it out! Thanks again!

Edit: I found someone who I just got off the phone with in MO.

http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/cea.amer.htm

He has plants and ships all over the US.
    Last edited by newbitech; 05-23-2009 at 05:44 AM.