Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community Units

Community Units

I hope this is the right place to post this and if not I apologize in advance.

I'd like to start a discussion on how to go about developing a support system for people to establish self-sufficient "community units". A community unit (as I envision it) is a group of people in a town or area coming together for mutual benefit... something like a co-op but abit more extensive. If the realities of the failing economic system come to fruition then there will be a strong need for an organized network for people to turn to.

This is something that I've researched extensively and think that if we can create some form of framework and support system that can be duplicated and then tied together... it can have a profound positive impact to effect change.

If I haven't lost you so far... here is what I'm thinking about for a "community unit".

A.) A farm food co-op
    B.) A web enabled information sharing and distribution system
    C.) A trade, exchange and barter system
    D.) Access to a larger buying group for quantity discounts

Each community would have their own focused group that has access to all of these and then they would all be tied together in a national entity for greater purchasing power.

Am I making sense? How can we make something like this happen and what issues/questions do you see moving forward.

Hope people will participate in this discussion. Tks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    WHo's "we" white man?

Who is "we"? do you mean as in "if we can create some form of framework"? The "we" is people on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    Who is "we"? do you mean as in "if we can create some form of framework"? The "we" is people on this board.
    "How can we make something like this happen and what issues/questions do you see moving forward."

You assume this is a widely held idea?

You assume this is a widely held idea?

Yes I do and so do you as evidenced by your post regarding healthcare (re: favorite argument of mine). Take matters into our own hands and do our own thing... create a new local economic model for those that want it. Reduce the need and burden on government, become more self-sufficient and change the system... that's what something like this could accomplish if enough people joined together.

Any other questions?

A.) A farm food co-op

A. Local Farmers Markets already exist. Why move away from productivity?
    B. Already exists
    C. Regression, ugh caveman
    D. Form a Corporation

I don't play well with others and I don't want to be part of a group. A team is another thing.

They already have these...you can actually search for one near you.

When I find the site again, I will post a link.
    >Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.
    >Dear lord... please allow this dangerous combination of hair spray, bat slobber, and D.O.T. four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirits, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me. All my Best, Earlie Cuyler.
    - Earlie Cuyler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let's let some other people comment on this idea. You're not trying to help.
    Last edited by cbc58; 05-20-2009 at 06:14 PM.

http://www.ic.org/

There it is..you can choose what type of community you want and all.

Here is the link to check in areas:
    http://directory.ic.org/iclist/geo.php

And here is the link to check for certain types:
    http://directory.ic.org/iclist/community_type.php

If this isn't what you are looking for, sorry...I am only trying to help.
    Last edited by asimplegirl; 05-20-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    >Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.
    >Dear lord... please allow this dangerous combination of hair spray, bat slobber, and D.O.T. four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirits, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me. All my Best, Earlie Cuyler.
    - Earlie Cuyler

asimplegirl... please let me know of what you mean... i don't know of anything along the lines of what I am proposing. There are existing food co-ops.. but that is about the extent of it that I am aware of. These are limiting and only involve a handful of people. What I am envisioning is something that will bring people together on a much larger scale.

also... from a political viewpoint... something like this can bring more voters together for change.

thanks. i am very familiar with the ic site. that promotes mostly intentional cooperatives where people live together like in communes. we have a few around here which i have visted and they have thier pluses and minuses.

what I am thinking about is something that anyone can join and they can use any aspect of it they want. the goal is to bring people together for mutual benefit on a localized level... and then tie those local organizations together for even greater benefit.

Let's let some other people comment on this idea. You're not trying to help.
    SO you need agreement in order for people to help? pfft

thanks. i am very familiar with the ic site. that promotes mostly intentional cooperatives where people live together like in communes. we have a few around here which i have visted and they have thier pluses and minuses.

what I am thinking about is something that anyone can join and they can use any aspect of it they want. the goal is to bring people together for mutual benefit on a localized level... and then tie those local organizations together for even greater benefit.
    I get that... I just don't know many people willing t live like that in today's society.

On another note, dad lived in a commune for a little while in California before he married mom and has only good things to say about it.
    - Earlie Cuyler

SO you need agreement in order for people to help? pfft

What's the purpose for your posts? Are you trying to be constructive or argumentative? If it's the latter than don't bother. If you're trying to be constructive than add value to the discussion.

I hope this is the right place to post this and if not I apologize in advance.

I'd like to start a discussion on how to go about developing a support system for people to establish self-sufficient "community units". A community unit (as I envision it) is a group of people in a town or area coming together for mutual benefit... something like a co-op but abit more extensive. If the realities of the failing economic system come to fruition then there will be a strong need for an organized network for people to turn to.

This is something that I've researched extensively and think that if we can create some form of framework and support system that can be duplicated and then tied together... it can have a profound positive impact to effect change.

If I haven't lost you so far... here is what I'm thinking about for a "community unit".

A.) A farm food co-op

Each community would have their own focused group that has access to all of these and then they would all be tied together in a national entity for greater purchasing power.

Am I making sense? How can we make something like this happen and what issues/questions do you see moving forward.

Hope people will participate in this discussion. Tks.
    I think the Government (NWO) has a similar plan for us as well.
    Forget all that decision making though.
    They will handle that for us.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i think something like this will be needed as the economy deteriorates... but i guess people have other ideas. i'd like to know where people plan to turn if the shtf.

I'm trying to come up with a plan to get about 100ish people and go in together on about 1500 to 2000 acres in NE Wyoming near the Lakotas, the Montana Border, and the Wyoming Free State Project.

I could always play the numerology gambit and try to get 144 people together on 2100 acres... heh.

But in terms of "going Galt" yet having political access, NE Wyoming is the perfect place to set up a self-sufficient "Galt-esque" community, and yet maintain access to political influence though the Wyoming FSP.

Setting this up is a dream of mine. a HUGE dream of mine.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Agree with you

i think something like this will be needed as the economy deteriorates... but i guess people have other ideas. i'd like to know where people plan to turn if the shtf.
    I think this will be the future. The existing economy is going to be ground into dust by taxation, regulation, and currency collapse. The future is in a localized, underground economy.

My advice

The advice I give to people is for them to try and develop the skills and acquire the tools and materials needed to allow them to offer goods and services that will be usueful in a near-subsistence economy. These people can then band together for security purposes and develop a barter ring. It will not ake long for the underground economy to create a currency.

So I suggest that we each work on developing our own future role and then start networking locally with others who bring skills to the table. They may not understand what is coming yet, but you don't need to sign them up now. The time will come when they understand and then you can bring them on board.

thank you to all who stayed on-point with this discussion.

i'm going to start a new thread on this since this one got off to a misdirected start. in hindsight using the term "community units" probably wasn't a good idea... however it really identifies the concept of creating supportive environments on a localized basis.

our economy is massively screwed up and as more and more people learn the realities of what is happening there will be a need and move toward community based supportive organizations.
    Last edited by cbc58; 05-26-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Objectivist View Post
    A.) A farm food co-op

A. Local Farmers Markets already exist. Why move away from productivity?
    B. Already exists
    D. Form a Corporation
    You mean like staying on this point?

objectivist -

everyone can decide for themselves who is on-point and who is not. you need not spend any more time on this subject since it clearly doesn't interest you. we need constructive input not disruptive objectivisim.

objectivist -

everyone can decide for themselves who is on-point and who is not. you need not spend any more time on this subject since it clearly doesn't interest you. we need constructive input not disruptive objectivisim.
    No need to make things more complicated than necessary. Simple answer for a simple problem or question.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No need to make things more complicated than necessary. Simple answer for a simple problem or question.

exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I'm trying to come up with a plan to get about 100ish people and go in together on about 1500 to 2000 acres in NE Wyoming near the Lakotas, the Montana Border, and the Wyoming Free State Project.

I could always play the numerology gambit and try to get 144 people together on 2100 acres... heh.

But in terms of "going Galt" yet having political access, NE Wyoming is the perfect place to set up a self-sufficient "Galt-esque" community, and yet maintain access to political influence though the Wyoming FSP.

I like the idea - thinking along similar lines for a rural county in Texas with about 500 voters, that was over 90% republican in the last election.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

for those thinking of setting up a new community/town... the www.ic.org site has alot of very good information and resources. it is geared torward smaller co-op type places but you can learn alot from what some have done and how they're structured.

Quote Originally Posted by Objectivist View Post
    I disagree, the barter system is certainly superior to using FRNs where your money can and is looted behind closed doors via a printing press. Of course you can take it one step further and just create your own currency, that would be better than both.

i think something like this will be needed as the economy deteriorates...

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I think this will be the future. The existing economy is going to be ground into dust by taxation, regulation, and currency collapse. The future is in a localized, underground economy.

Perhaps not permanently -- you know how we are. Once we're outta the woods, we may get greedy again -- everyone may want to get back into private coaches, which are parked in three-car garages of keep-up-with-the-Joneses houses. But those days are a LONG way off, I think.

In the foreseeable future, those who streamline AND those who circle their wagons are gonna fare better than those who don't. Single-family households and NINETY MILLION SINGLE AMERICANS (minus Prepared Dudes of the lone wolf variety) shall be particularly vulnerable to every bad thing that is coming down the pike as surely as bill collectors follow defaults.

As the economy worsens, crime will steadily increase -- with the latest round of "peace" officer hirings coming fast and furious, meaning, from the bottom of the barrel with inadequate screening. MORE bullies.

Safety in numbers. Also economies of scale.
    Last edited by cheapseats; 05-27-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post

Why Wyoming, rather than Montana?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast