Thread: So, how long do exploratory committees take?

So, how long do exploratory committees take?

Just curious if anyone knows when we can expect Randy to announce that he's officially running for senate. Couple weeks, a month, or even longer than that?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand he has said he will not run if Senator Bunning is still in the race.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Hmm

When is the last day to 'not be included' in the race? The day that nominating petitions are due? When is that date?

Also, we need to watch out for a very sneaky maneuver. I am not sure if this is just a New Jersey law, or is practiced everywhere:

On the petitions to gain ballot access, there is a section for the candidate to place a 'vacancy committee'. The senate candidates needed 1,000 valid NJ signatures to make the ballot (most collected 1,100, in case of errors, dishonest signers, etc). This was a spot where a candidate could name 3 people. These 3 people had the power, in case the candidate dropped out within X days of the petition deadline (I think it was 14), this committee could name a replacement in that time period. That replacement wouldn't have to collect signatures.

This is exactly what happened in the 2008 New Jersey Republican primary. Three candidates submitted ballot access petitions: Murray Sabrin, Andy Unanue, and Joe Pennachio (sp). Andy dropped out in the vacancy window (after the petition window closed), and his committee put Dick Zimmer on the ballot instead. Zimmer won the Republican primary (46-40-14), and lost the senate race to Frank Lautenberg (55-45), without anyone ever signing a signature for him.

I am weary of any other Kentucky GOP'er using this tactic.

Also, what if Bunning runs, the other guy runs, and Rand doesn't run. What if Bunning then drops out / gives up mid-primary? This is a very realistic situation.

(This knowledge comes from me having assisted Murray Sabrin)

Thanks,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Rand he has said he will not run if Senator Bunning is still in the race.

So when is the actual primary?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

Im pretty sure, the exploritory committee.. explores the fund raising potential, and whether pubic support can be mustered... and raised.. if so... they can finance the campaign, if not, then there is no way to run, unless the person running is rich, and will pay for all of it himself, or herself.

I am putting together an Exploritory committee.

-MEMAT

Quote Originally Posted by purplechoe View Post
    So when is the actual primary?
    Just over a year from now I believe.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by lukemroz View Post
    When is the last day to 'not be included' in the race? The day that nominating petitions are due? When is that date?
    January 21, 2010 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by lukemroz View Post
    Also, we need to watch out for a very sneaky maneuver. I am not sure if this is just a New Jersey law, or is practiced everywhere:

I am weary of any other Kentucky GOP'er using this tactic.

Also, what if Bunning runs, the other guy runs, and Rand doesn't run. What if Bunning then drops out / gives up mid-primary? This is a very realistic situation.
    Yes, Rand is aware of situations such as this and has been pondering on these for a while.