Thread: Home Canning Grains and Pasta

Home Canning Grains and Pasta

I bought a pressure canner and used it for the first time last night. I had heard that you are not supposed to be able to get good results canning grains and pasta. I canned dirty rice and beef stroganoff. The rice looks like it did fine, looks about the same as it did going in. The beef stroganoff looks like a mush however. Has anyone had luck home canning pasta?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've never canned pasta, but as I understand it, one needs to have the pasta very under cooked in order to have it come out right in the can. Being as most pasta only needs to be cooked around 10 minutes, the extra cooking of canning tends to make it come out way over done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I've never canned pasta, but as I understand it, one needs to have the pasta very under cooked in order to have it come out right in the can. Being as most pasta only needs to be cooked around 10 minutes, the extra cooking of canning tends to make it come out way over done.
    I was thinking the same thing...but worried that if I did that, it would expand too much and break the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I was thinking the same thing...but worried that if I did that, it would expand too much and break the jar.
    Maybe leaving a little more head space for the expansion would work. Don't you usually leave the rings slightly lose while the cans are in the canner? It's been a long time since I used one.

Seems that during the canning, the pasta would cook to the proper consistency and there would be no expansion after the canning was completed.

Edit: Here is a bit on what happens when noodles are added. They say it is best to make everything without the noodles and then just cook some noodles and add the contents of the can to them when you are ready to eat what is in the can.
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru...c.php?id=12468
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 05-16-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Grains and Pasta I would store uncooked and dry in an air free environment