Thread: Range Report! Finally Shot the XD

Range Report! Finally Shot the XD

So I finally broke down and joined a range today. I indoor range had 25 and 50 foot markers. I shot 4 targets with 100 rounds of wwb of .45 ACP in my SA XD Service model. I've actually never fired .45 until today so it was quite a thrill. I'll try to figure out how to get pictures up, but the best I can do is camera phone quality. Strangely enough, my accuracy (or lack thereof ) did not really change at the distances I shot at. I shot 2 targets at 25 and 2 at 50. I counted up how many misses though, terrible just over 30 missed shots (I'm including when I just grazed the target though). I did get at least 3 or 4 headshots though on every target and lots of center of mass though.

I had some problems though. I seemed to have trouble holding the gun as steady as I should (I think I was just little nervous shooting the .45 at first). Also, the range was indoors and not air conditioned so it was probably 95+ degrees in the range. My hands got so sweaty it was hard to rack the slide. As well, during my first couple shot I bloodied up my thumb a bit, but I learned real quick where my thumb needed to be!

Overall though, despite leaving the place looking like I had just gotten out of a pool I had a great time and feel I did pretty good for my first time shooting .45.
    Last edited by Uriel999; 05-16-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh and also, when the xd rejects rounds it sends them flying! lol
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Thinking about it though, I did try to double tap and rapidly fire several times so that would explain some terrible shots...

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Cool!

I love .45! In a 1911 particularly.

I'll share a story with you and you can take what you want from it. I took an old friend shooting a few months ago. He had never fired a gun in his life. He was a bit afraid. I coached him, telling him various things about sight picture, stance, and trigger control. But the one thing he totally latched onto was when I said to let it be a surprise when the trigger breaks. He totally focused on squeezing the trigger so the hammer release came as a surprise. And he did amazingly well! I was shocked. I have never seen a total novice do so well with a handgun first time. Pissed me off! Hahahaha!

Acala that story does not really surprise me. One of my buddies trying to get a job as a police officer told me how his instructors talked about how they had an easier time teaching the novices how to shoot over those who have experience because they have developed bad habits they have to break them from.

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I love .45! In a 1911 particularly.
    I am a fan of 1911's too, they are sweet shooters. My dad has a rock island

I am not so big on XD's my dad has a .45 that I have shot several time. I didn't care for it.

I currently own:
    Glock 9mm
    ak-47
    Mosin Nagant, WWII russian bolt action firearm shoots 7.62x54 sweet gun and very reasonably priced
    mossberg 12 gauge pump
    .50 caliber black powder rifle
    savage arms model 101 .22 single shot pistol (looks like a revolver) pretty unique

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by disorderlyvision View Post
    I am a fan of 1911's too, they are sweet shooters. My dad has a rock island

I am not so big on XD's my dad has a .45 that I have shot several time. I didn't care for it.

I currently own:
    Glock 9mm
    ak-47
    Mosin Nagant, WWII russian bolt action firearm shoots 7.62x54 sweet gun and very reasonably priced
    mossberg 12 gauge pump
    .50 caliber black powder rifle
    savage arms model 101 .22 single shot pistol (looks like a revolver) pretty unique
    Why don't you like the XD? What don't you like about it?

Diane Feinstein, 1995