Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check this water filter out.

Check this water filter out.

Very affordable.
    http://www.hydraid.org/

If it doesn't work you can make a topsy turvy out of it.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by UnReconstructed View Post
    what is a topsy turvy?
    A pot to grow plants in where you hang it, cut a hole in the bottom, plant the plant in the hole, and have the plant grow upside down.

Does it remove fluoride as well, or just natural poisons?

I want an EcoloBlue so bad...

and I want a Berkey filter system bad bad bad
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

This is the one I decided to get.

http://www.aquarain.com/

aw... I saw that topsy turvy thing on tv...

5 gallon buckets work just as well.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnReconstructed View Post
    aw... I saw that topsy turvy thing on tv...

5 gallon buckets work just as well.
    Aye, they do.
    I also got some inspiration from MsDoodahs container garden thread and made some of the water from the bottom containers out of 5 gallon buckets. My 1 year and 2 month old Tobasco pepper is thriving in one where it was almost a twice a day thing to keep it watered in a bucket last year. Now I fill it up about every other day.

About the filter I posted, I believe it would be a great emergency device but I don't think it will remove fluoride and stuff like that. I would love to see some creek or river water tested and then run through it and retested just to see if it really does the job.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I second the Berkey, but the darn thing is more than my first car...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by LATruth View Post
    I want an EcoloBlue so bad...
    They want so much money for that thing. Just buy a dehumidifier and filter the output water well. Same difference.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    Very affordable.
    http://www.hydraid.org/

If it doesn't work you can make a topsy turvy out of it.
    I don't see any specs on the website regarding removal of various undesireables. I need to have fluoride and chlorine removal. So far I've only seen reverse osmosis systems that will do the job.

The fine print states that you need at least 35% humidity to make water... I don't know much about humidity but I have a greenhouse where I keep it at 35% and it's quite humid to me... I can't see my house (in the mid-west) being at a constant 35% during the water-making process.

Any thoughts... cause I really want this to work and ditch my Culligan machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

Way too many space-age buzzwords on that website, lol; what do you think of the product? Do you have anything to test the quality of the water output with?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I don't see any specs on the website regarding removal of various undesireables. I need to have fluoride and chlorine removal. So far I've only seen reverse osmosis systems that will do the job.
    Was just about to state the same thing... real curious about some information on what exactly it removes. My guess is that it simply makes completely undrinkable water, drinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Terces View Post
    The fine print states that you need at least 35% humidity to make water... I don't know much about humidity but I have a greenhouse where I keep it at 35% and it's quite humid to me... I can't see my house (in the mid-west) being at a constant 35% during the water-making process.

Any thoughts... cause I really want this to work and ditch my Culligan machines.
    Berkey does not draw out humidity, it filters dirty water by reverse osmosis. You could put smelly ditch water into the thing and get pure out the bottom.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doesn't R.O. remove all the essentials from the water too?
    (that is according to the guy installing our water softener at our home)

If that's the case, wouldn't you need to add the minerals back in?
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Churchill

Wake up in the morning with No Agenda
    http://www.noagendashow.com

I'd much rather get my nutrition from food, and my hydration from water.

Berkey does not draw out humidity, it filters dirty water by reverse osmosis. You could put smelly ditch water into the thing and get pure out the bottom.
    I've never seen Berkey claim to use reverse osmosis.
    Last I knew, it was just a filter to take out the fine debris such as microbes and dirt. I seriously doubt it even removes viruses. Most every filter I've seen doesn't remove viruses.

Yes, they put charcoal elements in to remove some chemicals, but in time, those charcoal elements will become filled with the chemicals and stop working.

It's not my understanding that Berkey's are reverse osmosis filters. Where are you seeing claims that they are?

I own one and I also have a reverse-osmosis unit from Culligan. Berkey's don't remove the minerals and Berkey's also do not remove fluoride. The latter, being the reason why I got the reverse-osmosis filter.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

I've never seen Berkey claim to use reverse osmosis.
    Last I knew, it was just a filter to take out the fine debris such as microbes and dirt. I seriously doubt it even removes viruses. Most every filter I've seen doesn't remove viruses.

Yes, they put charcoal elements in to remove some chemicals, but in time, those charcoal elements will become filled with the chemicals and stop working.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    It's not my understanding that Berkey's are reverse osmosis filters. Where are you seeing claims that they are?

I own one and I also have a reverse-osmosis unit from Culligan. Berkey's don't remove the minerals and Berkey's also do not remove fluoride. The latter, being the reason why I got the reverse-osmosis filter.
    LOL, they say great minds run in the same channel.... interesting how we both posted the same thing in the same minute.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 05-25-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Berkey's don't remove the minerals and Berkey's also do not remove fluoride. The latter, being the reason why I got the reverse-osmosis filter.
    Adding on their Berkey® Arsenic & Fluoride PF-2™ Reduction Elements supposedly removes most of it.

Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30ppm of the ion in the influent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction).
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Adding on their Berkey® Arsenic & Fluoride PF-2™ Reduction Elements supposedly removes most of it.
    Yeah, but as I recall, it uses aluminum to do that. Since I've spent quite a bit of money getting the aluminum and other heavy metals OUT of my body, I wasn't too keen on putting them back in; even if the amount was extremely small.

I dunno guys. From what I studied, reverse-osmosis filters beat Berkey's hands-down. The water tastes much better too.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

As far as I understand, RO requires energy to run so in an emergency, I would stick by the standard filter units. I got my unit to use if I had to produce potable water in an emergency.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ok, did more research -- Berkey is not RO, but I still like it best. Especially on well water, it is perfect for my needs.

Too funny, everyone wants to spend money

on all these pretty contraptions yet just simple rainwater(already distilled by nature) and a smaller gravity fed filter(cheap) is all you need. The best natural rainwater in the world is on the tip of Tazmania where they bottle it and sell it for tons(best air quality as well). Water from hurricanes is great because there are few contaminants on its pathway. Just a simple filter is needed. Noone will ever convince me that any water is any better. Just let it pour for a few minutes before collecting it and collect it in a sanitary way, not off your roof with birdcrap etc. Put it thru a cheap filter and your all set. Of course you need to intake minerals separately since the rainwater has none. Try it out, put samples under a microscope from what you collected from various sources(tap,bottled) and convince yourself.

PS: If anyone want to open up the Hurricane Water Co, I am all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybags View Post
    on all these pretty contraptions yet just simple rainwater(already distilled by nature) and a smaller gravity fed filter(cheap) is all you need. The best natural rainwater in the world is on the tip of Tazmania where they bottle it and sell it for tons(best air quality as well). Water from hurricanes is great because there are few contaminants on its pathway. Just a simple filter is needed. Noone will ever convince me that any water is any better. Just let it pour for a few minutes before collecting it and collect it in a sanitary way, not off your roof with birdcrap etc. Put it thru a cheap filter and your all set. Of course you need to intake minerals separately since the rainwater has none. Try it out, put samples under a microscope from what you collected from various sources(tap,bottled) and convince yourself.

PS: If anyone want to open up the Hurricane Water Co, I am all in.
    I think here in the acid rain capitol of the US, I'll stick with a filter, and decidedly not rainwater (which, btw forms around random airborn particulates)

I was considering getting one of these soon, are you still satisfied with it? luckily our water isn't flouridated.

I have the aqua rain system. I chose it over the berkey because they have some quality control problems with their filters failing. I have a well and am happy with the gravity systems..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast