Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rand Paul...Ayn Rand

The off-topic posts have been removed, per forum guidelines. Please stay on-topic.

Thanks.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 05-18-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objectivist View Post
    in his own words "she had a lot of influence on me"......
    YouTube - Ron Paul discusses Ayn Rand

You need more I can find it.
    That's fine... influence is one thing. But Ron Paul is not an Objectivist.

1. Objectivism demands 100% rational-selfishness. This means no objectivist can be religious. Ron Paul is very religious.

2. Objectivism demands 100% egoism, and defines altruism as 100% evil. Ron Paul served as a volunteer physician for a religious organization for many years.

3. The only tenant of Objectivism that is in line with Ron Paul's (and all Libertarians') philosophies is its doctrine of individual rights and capitalism. However, as per the link provided, the Objectivist reasoning for individual rights and capitalism varies greatly from most libertarian (small L) and almost all Republican methods of thinking. Most people here (in addition to Ron Paul) protect individual rights and capitalism for reasons of practicality - that the greater good would be better suited by utilizing this system - or reasons of religious value. Ayn Rand and the Objectivist movement believe this is the only political system that will uphold the virtues and values of the other four tenants of Objectivism, so it is approached from an egoist perspective, instead of a populist/religious perspective.

4. The Libertarian (big 'L') Party, in a way, completely distorts the Objectivist tenant of non-aggression by approaching it from a merely political perspective instead of viewing it as a linked parallel required for the other aspects of an Objectively free society to prosper.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Wohl View Post
    That's fine... influence is one thing. But Ron Paul is not an Objectivist.

1. Objectivism demands 100% rational-selfishness. This means no objectivist can be religious. Ron Paul is very religious.

2. Objectivism demands 100% egoism, and defines altruism as 100% evil. Ron Paul served as a volunteer physician for a religious organization for many years.

3. The only tenant of Objectivism that is in line with Ron Paul's (and all Libertarians') philosophies is its doctrine of individual rights and capitalism. However, as per the link provided, the Objectivist reasoning for individual rights and capitalism varies greatly from most libertarian (small L) and almost all Republican methods of thinking. Most people here (in addition to Ron Paul) protect individual rights and capitalism for reasons of practicality - that the greater good would be better suited by utilizing this system - or reasons of religious value. Ayn Rand and the Objectivist movement believe this is the only political system that will uphold the virtues and values of the other four tenants of Objectivism, so it is approached from an egoist perspective, instead of a populist/religious perspective.

4. The Libertarian (big 'L') Party, in a way, completely distorts the Objectivist tenant of non-aggression by approaching it from a merely political perspective instead of viewing it as a linked parallel required for the other aspects of an Objectively free society to prosper.
    Volunteering and charity are acceptable if it fulfills personal needs, or if it makes you happy then do it. I've heard people say that they thought that Objectivists were against charity and volunteering. Not at all and I've watched Ayn in her own words express that idea. Remember altruism is to cause harm to one self.

Then I didn't make the comment, Ron Paul did.

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Your doubt is wrong and ill-advised. Check the current Objectivist movement for more information.
    Ayn and Neo Conservatives? Like George W. Bush and the other religious zealots that grew the government and social spending? Try again paper hat.

"If she was still alive - after 911, she'd be pretty much inline with the neo-cons. No doubt about it." Conza88

Doesn't matter what the Institute may say, she's not there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_con
    YouTube - AYN RAND's message to the GOP CANDIDATES

Volunteering and charity are acceptable if it fulfills personal needs, or if it makes you happy then do it. I've heard people say that they thought that Objectivists were against charity and volunteering. Not at all and I've watched Ayn in her own words express that idea. Remember altruism is to cause harm to one self.

Then I didn't make the comment, Ron Paul did.
    Ayn Rand says that altruism only exists because of outside influence of other people, groups, organizations, religions, and charities. She says that if these things didn't exist, there would be no reason for objective people to engage in altruism.

Her entire reasoning behind not accepting religion is that it causes people to be altruistic, and that altruism is not conducive with egoism in any context - even if the person perceives that it makes him/her happy.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Wohl View Post
    Ayn Rand says that altruism only exists because of outside influence of other people, groups, organizations, religions, and charities. She says that if these things didn't exist, there would be no reason for objective people to engage in altruism.

Her entire reasoning behind not accepting religion is that it causes people to be altruistic, and that altruism is not conducive with egoism in any context - even if the person perceives that it makes him/her happy.
    There is a difference between selfless and selfish behavior.

Now you want to go to religion? It's metaphysical and not based in reason.
    Last edited by Objectivist; 05-18-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Newt Gingrich

This is it! "Teaparty 11 Money Bomb"

DEC 16th 2011 Pledge to donate now at TeaParty11.com

Ayn and Neo Conservatives? Like George W. Bush and the other religious zealots that grew the government and social spending? Try again paper hat.

"If she was still alive - after 911, she'd be pretty much inline with the neo-cons. No doubt about it." Conza88

Doesn't matter what the Institute may say, she's not there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_con
    YouTube - AYN RAND's message to the GOP CANDIDATES
    Religion has nothing to do with it. Try again. They masqueraded as such, but that is a strawman. They never invaded / they are not neo-conservatives BECAUSE of religion.

Try again straw hat.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Religion has nothing to do with it. Try again. They masqueraded as such, but that is a strawman. They never invaded / they are not neo-conservatives BECAUSE of religion.

Try again straw hat.
    You're missing something or do you just make stuff as you go when you're confronted with reality? Forget it, I remember your past posts end up much the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrmac1 View Post
    We have a winner! Nice post!. Conza88 needs to see it.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're missing something or do you just make stuff as you go when you're confronted with reality? Forget it, I remember your past posts end up much the same way.
    I miss nothing. You're the one avoiding reality. They end up the way they do, because the responder falls flat on their face.

We have a winner! Nice post!. Conza88 needs to see it.
    I already saw it, before all the comments.

It changes nothing. To consider otherwise is hilariously retarded. Doesn't even bring up the topic.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12